Are there still any covid checkpoints anywhere in the country?

drbeach

I know they've been progressively removing them starting all the way back in early May, but what is unclear to me is whether there are still any of these checkpoints left. On a recent YouTube video from a Thai celebrity who drove from Bangkok to Chiang Mai via Sukhothai and Lampang posted on July 4 (unclear when the trip took place, but probably fairly recently) he and his friend encountered one such checkpoint just outside of Chiang Mai city.

I have been told by many people who've traveled recently and even as long as a month or 6 weeks ago, they haven't encountered any, but that was for trips south of Chiang Mai and between Bangkok and beach provinces like Rayong.

Anyone still encountering them in July? Any website I can check the locations (Thai is fine)?

1.  Between June 9th and 30th we drove through 23 provinces in Thailand's south, east and centre.  There was not a single Covid-19 check.  More surprisingly, we didn't see a single police radar speed trap ???? although we passed a few checkpoints where police or army were doing regular checks on road tax or for security.

2.  Even in early May there was very little around in the way of Covid-19 checks where we traveled...  We did Udon Thani to Koh Samui and passed one check in Phetchaburi (temperature only, no questions asked), plus the ferry check from Don Sak to Samui 

3.  In all our driving March/April/May/June (more than 10,000km), we only passed through a single full checkpoint, approaching Udon from the east, which we had to pass through several times.  But only a temperature check and a form to say where we were staying and sometimes a phone number

4.  I doubt there are any Covid-19 checkpoints left in the country, but even if you do hit one, it's no sweat.  At most, a temperature check and a few questions, and off you go

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 4:37 PM, VirgoSG said:

1.  Between June 9th and 30th we drove through 23 provinces in Thailand's south, east and centre.  There was not a single Covid-19 check.  More surprisingly, we didn't see a single police radar speed trap ???? although we passed a few checkpoints where police or army were doing regular checks on road tax or for security.

2.  Even in early May there was very little around in the way of Covid-19 checks where we traveled...  We did Udon Thani to Koh Samui and passed one check in Phetchaburi (temperature only, no questions asked), plus the ferry check from Don Sak to Samui 

3.  In all our driving March/April/May/June (more than 10,000km), we only passed through a single full checkpoint, approaching Udon from the east, which we had to pass through several times.  But only a temperature check and a form to say where we were staying and sometimes a phone number

4.  I doubt there are any Covid-19 checkpoints left in the country, but even if you do hit one, it's no sweat.  At most, a temperature check and a few questions, and off you go

Thanks for that comprehensive reply. Even if they're "not a big deal" to some, to me as a libertarian I feel they're an infringement on my civil liberties.

I think based on your answers and the show I watched on YouTube, it appears there might have been just one or two left in June (in Chiang Mai) but they have been removed elsewhere.

Yesterday I drove from Bangkok to a beach east of Rayong and back using a different road. First time leaving the province since late March. No checkpoints, no police, it was great. Tons of traffic though.

BTW I remember reading a Thai language article stating that Bangkok covid checkpoints were removed on April 28 and several other articles confirmed checkpoints in places like Pattaya (which was mentioned on here) were removed starting May 5, but I figured there would still be some left in places. Looks like they have pretty much all been removed for the 5th phase of the re-opening.

10 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Thanks for that comprehensive reply. Even if they're "not a big deal" to some, to me as a libertarian I feel they're an infringement on my civil liberties.

Yesterday I drove from Bangkok to a beach east of Rayong and back using a different road. First time leaving the province since late March. No checkpoints, no police, it was great. Tons of traffic though.

Why worry about any checkpoints, they are a way of life over here in Thailand. Maybe there was a lot of traffic because it was a holiday, why on earth did you travel yesterday?

21 hours ago, jimn said:

Why worry about any checkpoints, they are a way of life over here in Thailand. Maybe there was a lot of traffic because it was a holiday, why on earth did you travel yesterday?

I don't care about normal checkpoints, I care about covid checkpoints. They intimidate me. Fortunately, it appears they are mostly gone by now.

Umm...why not, free tolls?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...