COVID-19 is “worst crisis in Thai tourism history”: TAT spokesman

webfact

2 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Clearly very few active brain cells between the lot of them. I personally thought the Phoenix that sank off Phuket and killed more tourists in one hit than Covid has managed here was a serious low point. With the restrictions they are talking about, they will be lucky to see thousands a week coming in, let alone the hundreds of thousands tourism needs. They need to build up other areas of the economy, because tourism will not generate 20% of GDP ever again.

If they upgrade all hotels and resorts to attract more quality tourists, they could hit 20% again. But I seriously doubt that will ever happen.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, petermik said:

Mr Tanes said that "Thai tourism had passed its worse phase and now set to make a slow steady return to normalicy"....perhaps when the authorities announce a firm date when international travelers will be allowed back in potential visitors will then be able to book flights with some confidence...until then they can forget about it.....excepting of course for their Chinese cousins who will be welcomed with open arms :whistling:

I recall someone on the panel mumbling the statement that OS run of the mill tourists may not be seen this year!