COVID-19 is “worst crisis in Thai tourism history”: TAT spokesman

webfact

4 hours ago, Mikeasq60 said:

The so called New Normal means Thailands doomed. Any elections coming up that could stir up the dead weight in Bangkok?

If there is, they will get rid of the opposition first ......A La Future Forward...too dangerous  gone !

6 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Funny you say that. My elderly (extremely polite) mother visited 3 years ago and after a few incidents of rude and surly Thais in tourist areas slapping our food down onto the table, sneering, clearly gossiping about us while we ate our food etc. that's exactly what she said with the comparison to Spain.

She said it reminded her of the way Spain managed to mess up their tourist industry by getting arrogant and complacent during the good years and forgetting everything that made people want to go there in the first place. So people just went elsewhere.

She's also expressed no interest in returning to Thailand and suggested we meet up elsewhere in the region next time.

I think your Mother was right. Spain fleeced tourists, took them for granted, dropped the service and started to create an anti foreigner attitude, it killed their tourism (sound familiar). However Spain has reinvented itself and does not have those problems these days, people are very friendly and service (at least for me) was excellent. Spanish people are genuinely very friendly people as Thai people are when they really know you, however until they do there is an attitude that perhaps was not there 15 years or so ago, the last 7 or 8 years the attitude has has rapidly declined and the increase in complaints and moaning are just confirming that for me. Perhaps meet your old Mum in Vietnam,,, lovely people,, cheap, great service and attitude.

• Like 2

I remember reading an article by Martin Armstrong, a Forecaster, about "the end of the age of tourism" several years ago. I thought he was wrong, look at all of the travellers in Pattaya but he was correct. Now, I cannot see a recovery, only a lower level like the crash of the Japan stock market . I would not put my hope on Millenials, they have had a disproportionate financial hit from covid. Travel expenses will grow with covid regulations. Good luck everyone but be protective of your capital.

3 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

there is an attitude that perhaps was not there 15 years or so ago, the last 7 or 8 years the attitude has has rapidly declined 

Rapidly declined - sure has. Now why would that be so? 

"Mr. Tanes said it will be a long time before Thailand again chalks up the 2019 record visitor arrivals of nearly 40 million." 

Definetely i can agree with you Mr. Tanes, even without a Covid-19 outbreak you wouldnt see those numbers again, Junta managed to ruin tourism in 5 years. 

" Quality over Quantity" just admit you are preparing terrain for total domination of China over Thailand.

Edited by NB1986

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-outbreaks-under-control-outbreaks-lockdown-who-134409719.html

Yahoo News UK

Multiple countries that had virus under control seeing new outbreaks after easing lockdown, WHO warns

12 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

Hopefully, you are referring to the Hi-So community of Bangkok and Thailand, as i find the opposite in Isaan.

The ones who controls the game, but even then will get in deep5h1t, allow a little more time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lapswim said:

I remember reading an article by Martin Armstrong, a Forecaster, about "the end of the age of tourism" several years ago. I thought he was wrong, look at all of the travellers in Pattaya but he was correct. Now, I cannot see a recovery, only a lower level like the crash of the Japan stock market . I would not put my hope on Millenials, they have had a disproportionate financial hit from covid. Travel expenses will grow with covid regulations. Good luck everyone but be protective of your capital.

Time to stay home, even if one can afford to travel, why not stay home and let the government take the hit alone. They will change their little mind quickly. The power is in the hands of people, but they do not realize that, not yet. The time of change arrived.

11 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

I think your Mother was right. Spain fleeced tourists, took them for granted, dropped the service and started to create an anti foreigner attitude, it killed their tourism (sound familiar). However Spain has reinvented itself and does not have those problems these days, people are very friendly and service (at least for me) was excellent. Spanish people are genuinely very friendly people as Thai people are when they really know you, however until they do there is an attitude that perhaps was not there 15 years or so ago, the last 7 or 8 years the attitude has has rapidly declined and the increase in complaints and moaning are just confirming that for me. Perhaps meet your old Mum in Vietnam,,, lovely people,, cheap, great service and attitude.

a lot of tourists deserted spain for north african resorts,it was only after terrorist attacks that tourists gave them the spanish archer and returned to spain and other european resorts.

Nothing will change.  Remember, this government and country was faltering before the crisis.

also, the financial devastation has only just begun.  They better be making solid plans for the near future.

“If your child is hungry, you will eat your rulers to feed your children”