COVID-19 is “worst crisis in Thai tourism history”: TAT spokesman

webfact

4 hours ago, Truth Will Set You Free said:

After reading all the BS this country had said about us White Europeans are trash to them, I hope that no Europeans come to this country for years down the road. They need to suffer to the point that they beg Westerns to return to this country. 

Sorry to say that's not gonna happen. They would drown in their own <deleted> rather than beg for the dirty farang to return.

18 hours ago, petermik said:

Mr Tanes said that "Thai tourism had passed its worse phase and now set to make a slow steady return to normalicy"....perhaps when the authorities announce a firm date when international travelers will be allowed back in potential visitors will then be able to book flights with some confidence...until then they can forget about it.....excepting of course for their Chinese cousins who will be welcomed with open arms :whistling:

You're quantity, not quality :giggle:

8 hours ago, Max69xl said:

"Mr. Tanes said it will be a long time before Thailand again chalks up the 2019 record visitor arrivals of nearly 40 million."

They are still using that fake number for tourists entering Thailand 2019, when everyone knows that the real number wasn't even close to 40 million. On top of that, counting migrant workers coming and going as if they were tourists.

How do you figure ? All stats I can find show it just below 40million

Just now, Destiny1990 said:

Only folks who come in by their own Private aircraft are labeled “quality” so now you know ur place also !!

Which private jet should I fly in on ? The lockheed or Gulfstream ????:cheesy:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

Sad but probably true. The economic downturn of the tourist trade will start to have big knock on effects on other industries now such as cars, houses, clothes, shopping malls etc,,, it's going to be a very long recovery for Thailand and the rest of the world and that's assuming we don't have a second wave.. At the moment the USA is seeing huge rises again and India and South America are in the peak of suffering. We are months and months away from a global recovery, if not years. Thailand need to have a rethink on how they can create additional sources on income for the economy.

Yes , problem is in Thai society is the big , huge , inequality between rich and poor , between the countryside and Bangkok . Education for many children in Thailand is virtually non existent , many schools are nothing more then a place where children go to play , if they even want to go .

As for travel , we all see what's going on , even guessing on recovery in 2021 is just nothing more then a guess and the hope of finding a vaccine . On the other hand , some other scientists say that it can just blow away in very short notice , without knowing why or how ( scientists who did find covid virus in sewage water from samples dating back march 2019 , +6 months before 1st case ) . The future is uncertain , and uncertainty is no good for any kind of planning , whether it be travel , economy , investments .... in fact it is only good for war scenarios .

Kinda curious what the next nail in the coffin of Thailand tourist industry will be. First it was the banks, then the insurance companies.

In not to many years there will be articles about how Thailand ruined it's tourist industry, and what not to do.

A rags to riches then back to rags story.

Edited by garyk

how do they expect a slow and steady recovery when they are not letting tourists in and when they do they will be in a quarantine holiday if they come...these knuckleheads have no idea

Get the brains out of neutral, fingers out of ears, stop scratching the backsides, look at the thousands of separated families and retirees all still waiting to get back...

They all contribute millions of baht to immigration, airlines, local businesses, schools.

We don't hang around the sleazy tourist venues, are minimum risk when compared to others.

Why make it so hard and expensive. 

Most of us will head straight to the family and homes.

Once again I'm lost for words....

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

However, he said, the crisis had created an opportunity for the Thai tourism industry to reform itself in preparation for the “New Normal.”

I haven't seen any reform just Thais sitting around waiting to get back to the old ways..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, garyk said:

Kinda curious what the next nail in the coffin of Thailand tourist industry will be. First it was the banks, then the insurance companies.

In not to many years there will be articles about how Thailand ruined it's tourist industry, and what not to do.

A rags to riches then back to rags story.

It reminds me of Spain many years ago. Thousands of people flocked to Spain to invest in second homes only to have the Authorities inform them that the planning permission was not done properly and the Spanish ordered the houses were to be demolished,, huge amount of scams flying around and people voted with their feet.. It has taken Spain decades to start recovering. Now of course it has a much bigger tourist trade then Thailand,, as does France.

Mr Tanes says" The crisis has created an opportunity for the Thai tourism industry to reform itself,

I say " bring back the Baht to where it is supposed to be". Half of the problem solved! 

• Haha 1

On 7/6/2020 at 2:58 PM, Xonax said:

If they upgrade all hotels and resorts to attract more quality tourists, they could hit 20% again. But I seriously doubt that will ever happen.

Do they realise that one of the most important reasons for the high tourism rate, was the fact that Thailand was very cost effective, rather cheap to stay in. I remember people from the UK saying that  the big expense was the airfare there, then it was a cheap affordable holiday ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2020 at 12:15 PM, petermik said:

Mr Tanes said that "Thai tourism had passed its worse phase and now set to make a slow steady return to normalicy"....perhaps when the authorities announce a firm date when international travelers will be allowed back in potential visitors will then be able to book flights with some confidence...until then they can forget about it.....excepting of course for their Chinese cousins who will be welcomed with open arms :whistling:

For goodness sake !   What good is that if their respective countries won't allow them out ?

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I suspect the closures, bankruptcies and unemployment have only just started.

Too many service providers and not enough customers ........ ever again.

Maybe they should start by returning immigration/VISA rules to the 'good old days' where any foreigner can come as often as they like, and stay for as long as they like.

Maybe this was why Thailand became so popular in the first place. Perhaps it would be worthwhile having another look at this.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, animatic said:

“COVID-19 is “worst crisis in Thai tourism history”: TAT spokesman”

Clearly World War Two didn’t register with the Under-Minister of Silly Talks.

Back in WW2 they actually thought that they were masters of their own destiny, but lucky for them , the "enemy" won.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, geisha said:

Thailand is not attractive anymore due to its catastrophic infrastructure and kamikaze drivers. The quality tourists will not come to Thailand with its sleazy reputation. 

The quality tourists ride around in Chinese owned busses.

21 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

I agree complete.

Talk about the Thai authorities trying to ' put lipstick on a pig! '

They are so removed from people on the ground, these pillocks belong in ' One flew over the cuckoos nest.'

When we listen to some of the idiotic statements from officials, we can realise what <deleted> they convince each other with at their official meetings.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, A512 said:

Sorry to say that's not gonna happen. They would drown in their own <deleted> rather than beg for the dirty farang to return.

Hopefully, you are referring to the Hi-So community of Bangkok and Thailand, as i find the opposite in Isaan.