The water is "thick with plastic": UK blogger advises against Thai beach visit for holiday weekend

webfact

1 hour ago, scoupeo said:

This UK blogger is always making problem and also ban people from his FB pages and twitter as soon as they do not agree with his opinion$hit

he should be jailed and deported for being an idiot.

If that is the criterion for deportation, a number of others will be joining him.  ⬆️

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Not just fishermen either.

Probably most every boat/ship out there does the same.

When I was on an Exercise with the US Marines/Navy back in the early 80s, we spent 6 weeks at sea re-enacting the Devil's Brigade landings in the Aleutian Islands, up in the Bering Sea between Russia and Alaska. 6 weeks at sea and barely 36 hours on the island. 

Most of the garbage from the ship, regardless of what it was, went off the rear of the ship into the ocean (once they were out of sight of land that is). The presumption was that it would never make it back to land. They were probably right about most of it. 
We had two separate fleets on that exercise, probably close to 3 dozen ships in total and thousands of sailors/marines/Canadian Infantry. Probably dumped enough garbage to fill a small city's landfill on that one exercise.

But as people have learned since then, stuff dumped at sea can end up floating a long, long way. Like that shipment of plastic ducks that have washed up on beaches thousands of miles from where the container when into the ocean. Or the shipment of Nike running shoes that floated for 6+ months on the ocean before some started washing up on beaches on the West Coast of North America.

Things like plastics, which seem to make up a large percentage of the trash these days, will float for years before finally disintegrating (or washing up on shore somewhere). 

Luckily those days are over when it comes to international shipping.International regulations bans discarding any form of garbage in the sea.Although it still happens it is nowhere as bad as it was and the penalties when caught can be very harsh .

http://www.imo.org/en/OurWork/Environment/PollutionPrevention/Garbage/Pages/Default.aspx

4 minutes ago, Blackheart1916 said:

How many years is donkey's years? If donkeys live for 20 years, you're wrong.

Someone making an ass of themseves?

To say the baht has been 'much the same' one has to say relative to what. Usually one means the US$.... in the last 5 years it has dropped from 36 to 31, subtantial really.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, missoura said:

About 15 years ago, I was offered some beach front property down around the Bangsaen area. This property was owned by a well-known Thai family (I had taught two of their kids) and they had never even been there to view the land. A day trip was planned and we all went for a tour. I was so excited at the prospect of realizing one of my life dreams. It turned out to be a major disappointment.

This beach front land was located on the outskirts of a local fishing village and it should have been perfect. But it wasn't. Trash literally covered most of the beach. Why? The fishermen simply threw their trash overboard after fishing before returning home where it eventually made it to shore. My first thought was that I could clean up the area, but then reality hit me. It would be a constant daily chore and I would never win the battle. Sad really and a major disappointment...

THIS.....I volunteered in a small fishing village in Bai Xep Vietnam,...what seemed like paradise would turn to a waste dump every morning by this...fishermen and currents......super easy to dump trash when hiding out at sea at night.....made every attempt to clean the beach as I worked at a guesthouse and to make it nice for visitors, I recall the local laughing at me, they were dumpers too, owners put out a trash cans, were stolen....

• Sad 1

On 7/6/2020 at 10:40 AM, sungod said:

Frequently go the quiet beaches, most trash always found around the local fishing fleet. These guys need to be educated as their actions have consequences on their living.

These fishermen boats throw all the trash into the sea. I've been on one of those boats and I was disgusted by their behaviour.