One year extension based on marriage

Is your 60-day extension of your original Non-O entry permitted-stay still valid?  I have seen mixed reports on appliations for those on "covid-extensions" - seems to vary by office. 

There are no issues (other than the normal ones) if you are still within a permitted-stay stamped in your passport.

4 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Is your 60-day extension of your original Non-O entry permitted-stay still valid?  I have seen mixed reports on appliations for those on "covid-extensions" - seems to vary by office. 

There are no issues (other than the normal ones) if you are still within a permitted-stay stamped in your passport.

I'm not on it yet. My visa will expire just after the end of the amnesty so will apply for a 60 day extension before then.

12 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

I'm not on it yet. My visa will expire just after the end of the amnesty so will apply for a 60 day extension before then.

What is your present Visa situation?

- On which Visa type did you enter Thailand?

- The Visa 'valid until date' is not of relevance, but what was the permission to stay date as stamped in your passport on entry?

- Did you apply already for extensions of stay since entering Thailand?  If so for which reason where they provided, and what is your current permission to stay date?

- Are you married to a thai a national or do you have a dependant child?

- What is your age and nationality?

- At which IO do you report?

>> The answers on the above will determine your options.

Let us know so that knowledgeable TVF-members can provide you with correct advice.

39 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

You will require proof of 400K deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months, or 2 x 40K monthly transfers from overseas prior to submitting the application for a 1 year extension based on marriage.

19 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

What is your present Visa situation?

- On which Visa type did you enter Thailand?

- The Visa 'valid until date' is not of relevance, but what was the permission to stay date as stamped in your passport on entry?

- Did you apply already for extensions of stay since entering Thailand?  If so for which reason where they provided, and what is your current permission to stay date?

- Are you married to a thai a national or do you have a dependant child?

- What is your age and nationality?

- At which IO do you report?

>> The answers on the above will determine your options.

Let us know so that knowledgeable TVF-members can provide you with correct advice.

I'm here on a Non-O based on marriage. My last entry was om March 3rd so am currently covered by the amnesty. My visa expires mid August.

I reside in Jomtien. I have passed 50 but due to new regs I don't want to go that route.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

I'm here on a Non-O based on marriage. My last entry was om March 3rd so am currently covered by the amnesty. My visa expires mid August.

I reside in Jomtien. I have passed 50 but due to new regs I don't want to go that route.

Let us know how it goes at Jomtien immigration - both the 60-day extension application and the 1-year - if either/both are possible there and/or any complications.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phoenix Rising said:

39 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Your Visa validity date (mid August) is not relevant for an in-country application.

When you entered March 3rd you were provided a 90-day permission to stay which ended June 1st.  Since then you have been on an automatically extended Amnesty permission to stay.

It is important for you to enquire at your IO in Jomtien whether they will back-date your application for a 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your wife, or whether they will let it start from the date of application.

1 - In case they back-date your application to June 1st, that would make the 60-day extension application useless as it would only provide you with a permission to stay till July 31st (which you already have been provided because of the automatic Amnesty-extension).

And that would mean you would either have to leave the country (if that is possible) or would have to apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on your Non Imm O Visa for reason of family.  But such an application would require 2 months of seasoning of the funds (so if you did not start already doing that, you won't be able to meet the requirements anymore by the end of the Amnesty even if the Amnesty would be extended till end of August).  See post #6 by @Tanoshi

2 - In case Jomtien would process your application for the 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your family, from the moment of application < you would have to do this latest on last day of the Amnesty > you would still have enough time to season the funds for the required time, but obviously better start doing that a couple of days before 31 July in order to be able to show 2 full months of seasoning.

I have attached a compilation of 3 recent posts outlining the Jomtien requirements when applying for a 1-year extension of stay based on your Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage. 

I also added the requirements (thai and english version) as handed out by the SriRacha IO (Jomtien's sister-office).

Non Imm O - marriage extension requirements - Jomtien March 2020.txt MarriageextdocsEng-SiRacha.pdf MarriageextreqdocsThai-SiRachaDec19.pdf

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

All offices should be doing it that way. Just rumors that they might back date it.

Thanks for confirming this.

This is a very important matter for all those whose current permission to stay has expired, and

- are presently on the automatically Amnesty extended permission to stay till July 31;

- are married to a thai national or have a thai dependant child;

- did not use their 60-day extension of stay yet.

It will allow them to apply for that 60-day extension of stay in the final days of the Amnesty, and provide them with a permission to stay till end of September.

By then, the borders might be open again, hopefully with relaxed entry-requirements.

If borders still closed or (re)entry-requirements too difficult/inconvenient > It will allow them to apply at their local IO

- for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa based on their current VisaExempt or Tourist Visa entry, or

- for a 1-year extension of stay based on their current Non Imm O Visa (with sufficient time to meet the financial seasoning requirements).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tommygun809 said:

Does anyone know if Phayao IO is one of those offices that will issue the 60-day extension from the date of application since my permission to stay date was 24 June?

No reports yet - so all just speculation on what they "should do" on 30-day (TR) and 60-day (Thai Family) extensions.  But please link if I missed one.

We do have at least one report of an office refusing a 1-year extension from a covid-extension.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JackThompson said:

No reports yet - so all just speculation on what they "should do" on 30-day (TR) and 60-day (Thai Family) extensions.  But please link if I missed one.

If they backdated 60 day extensions to the date their permission of stay from a VE or TV ended, the 60 day extension would have already ended before it began in most cases and they'd automatically be back on the amnesty extension.   :thumbsup:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

If they backdated 60 day extensions to the date their permission of stay from a VE or TV ended, the 60 day extension would have already ended before it began in most cases and they'd automatically be back on the amnesty extension.   :thumbsup:

Exactly.  Hoping to see some success stories - and letting folks use the time from those for 1-year extensions.

• Like 1

As I reported on another thread, I successfully applied for a 60-day extension to my Non O ME today at Phayao IO (my permission to stay ended 24 June). I was told to apply next month for the 1-Year extension based on marriage to a Thai. They didn't want o know about a 90-day report for now. Hope this clears up any worries.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, tommygun809 said:

As I reported on another thread, I successfully applied for a 60-day extension to my Non O ME today at Phayao IO (my permission to stay ended 24 June). I was told to apply next month for the 1-Year extension based on marriage to a Thai. They didn't want o know about a 90-day report for now. Hope this clears up any worries.

Just to clarify did you get permission to stay until the end of September (60 days after end of amnesty)?

10 minutes ago, tommygun809 said:

No. The 60 days was from today. I didn't want to risk leaving the application until the end of the amnesty in case there were unforeseen problems. Up to you if you want to risk it. Personally, my balls aren't that big.

The important thing is that Phayao IO confirmed that they will process your application for the 1-year extension of stay based on your ME Non Imm O Visa at the end of the 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your wife.

Since it is your first 1-year extension of stay application, 2 months seasoning of the funds to prove your financials should be sufficient to meet the application requirement.

As it as an application for an extension for reason of marriage, that means:

- At least 400K seasoned for 2 months in your personal thai bank-account at the moment of application (when using the money-in-bank method);

- At least two monthly transfers of at least 40K (with foreign origin proven) during the 2 months preceding your application (when using the monthly-income transfer method).  IO can request that you also prove the source of that foreign income (e.g. a pension statement).

• Like 1