Not everything that glitters is gold, warn officials

snoop1130

Not everything that glitters is gold, warn officials

By The Nation

800_aee7e63d1a93d28.jpg

People have been warned against buying gold bars from unofficial sources as they may be fake, the Government Public Relations Department said in a Facebook post on Thursday (July 9).

Now that the price of gold is rising, criminals are coming up with fake gold bars that look very real.

“These bars are filled with other metals, such as copper or lead. In Thailand, online shops and criminals are deceiving buyers and taking advantage of the rise in the price of gold.”

The official advised people to only purchase the precious metal from shops that have a “Buy with Confidence – BWC” sign, as they are required to maintain standards.

As of 10.07am on Friday, the buying price of gold bars was Bt26,550 per baht weight and selling price Bt26,650, while gold ornaments cost Bt26,075.20 and Bt27,150, respectively.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30391072

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-07-10

• Haha 1

uranium the current long term prices is $78/kg it is legal to own and purchase  If it is a solid chunk of DU or another non-dispersible form, that limit is 7 kg. 

• Like 2

I purchased 20 bars (5-10baht) in 2018 from 2 of the oldest gold shops on the island.  Should I take one bar back and try to sell it to them?  In 2 years, I haven't seen any change in color and each one was weighed and a receipt was given.  What would be your recourse if you were sold fake gold?

• Like 1

They learn it from their masters

China's biggest gold fraud, 4% of its reserves may be fake: Report

At the centre of the fraud is Wuhan Kingold Jewelry Inc, a company founded and operated out of Wuhan.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/international/world-news/chinas-biggest-gold-fraud-4-of-its-reserves-may-be-fake-report/articleshow/76707339.cms?from=mdr

Edited by FinChin67
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, parallaxtech said:

I purchased 20 bars (5-10baht) in 2018 from 2 of the oldest gold shops on the island.  Should I take one bar back and try to sell it to them?  In 2 years, I haven't seen any change in color and each one was weighed and a receipt was given.  What would be your recourse if you were sold fake gold?

Tears and beer spring to mind! 

17 hours ago, samsensam said:

People have been warned against buying gold bars from unofficial sources as they may be fake, the Government Public Relations Department said in a Facebook post on Thursday

who would've have thunk it...?!

does your government use facebook to communicate important messages to the population?!

The President of one country uses twitter to communicate what he believes are important messages !

1 hour ago, parallaxtech said:

Official gold shops don't sell fake gold.

Just sell one bar and see how easily it goes...they won't check or test it, just weigh it and pay you right away.

But better not sell now...

35 minutes ago, FinChin67 said:

They learn it from their masters

China's biggest gold fraud, 4% of its reserves may be fake: Report

At the centre of the fraud is Wuhan Kingold Jewelry Inc, a company founded and operated out of Wuhan.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/international/world-news/chinas-biggest-gold-fraud-4-of-its-reserves-may-be-fake-report/articleshow/76707339.cms?from=mdr

Easy to tell if any gold is fake.

Get a bucket. Put the bucket in a bowl. Fill the bucket with good clean water; the purer the better. Weigh it. Put the block of gold carefully into the bucket. Carefully weigh, or measure, the displaced water. Weigh the bucket with the gold.

Compare the weight of the bucket with the gold to the water overflowed.

Easy peasy.

Edited by owl sees all

2 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Just sell one bar and see how easily it goes...they won't check or test it, just weigh it and pay you right away.

Thanks B.  I read that all Thai gold shops were regulated by the Thai Gold Commission.  I suspect that any shops that sell fake gold will be out of business and lose their license.  These shops have been in business longer than the 16 years I have been here.  Just to be safe, I will take a 10B bar over to the same shop and see if they want it.  I don't want Thai baht and will hold the gold for many more years.

17 hours ago, samsensam said:

People have been warned against buying gold bars from unofficial sources as they may be fake, the Government Public Relations Department said in a Facebook post on Thursday

who would've have thunk it...?!

does your government use facebook to communicate important messages to the population?!

No. The USA use twitter. 

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

How long will you wait.