Nearly one-third of tourism-related businesses 'may shut down permanently'

rooster59

2 minutes ago, morrobay said:

So  Thailands economy is not reliant on tourism that represents about 20% of GDP. And that's based only on above table receipts. And based on country overall not applied to the hundreds of tourism locations where it is very much higher.

The numbers I see repeatedly are 11.5% and 7.5%, not 20%, (1% of USD 530 bill is a lot).

I'm guessing the value of tourism in Phuket is far higher than it is in Nakon Nowhere where no tourist has ever visited! Yes, the numbers are based on the country as a whole!!!

GDP is GDP, it's everything in the Thai economy that was purchased (is one way of calculating GDP) that is capable of being counted. No it doesn't include the 500 baht that Somchai paid Nui but it probably does include the 2k baht Mike paid Nui since that would be factored and modeled as a misc. cash purchase by a tourist, the withdrawal noted on a foreign exchange transaction or CC transaction.

9 hours ago, andux said:

One thing that I noticed is that when I'm in a good mood everyone smiles at me. When I'm in a bad mood and having negative thoughts, people seem to be colder.

Give it a try, put a smile on your face and you'll see everyone smiling at you. Thai people haven't lost the ability to smile, but they seem to have an innate ability to read your mood. That's my experience at least.

I usually am in a good mood, why wouldn't I be? The sun is shining, the birds are chirping and life is good. 

So, that can't be the reason. Maybe it's that a lot of staff in this sector just don't give a s..t any more. The mood has definitely changed here over the past 15 years or so. 

22 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Man alive! I scrolled down to see that article pic!!  Gaaah!  Looks like Yoda or the Muppets Doctor.....

Hans Moleman takes a bat to the face.......a face only a mother could love, a face for radio maybe.....geez

Yeah, he even makes Elton John look handsome. :cheesy:

On a related point....those arguing that government didn't pay the 5,000 Baht support payment to everyone in the tourism industry and that this is unfair: only people who were making monthly social security payments were eligible (they or their employer), those working cash in hand and under the tax SSC radar were not.,

23 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Unfortunately, I believe that the insurance will stay.

Even when the virus has gone? There isn't any corona in Thailand just now, if and that is a big if, that is the case, the government are trying to line the insurance companies pockets which also means their pockets are also being lined.

On 7/12/2020 at 9:15 AM, Enzian said:

At least we can hope. I would like to see China pay a price for what they've done and the new levels of bullying they are attempting in many quarters, but greed is too often stronger than principle, and only time will tell. Personally I would pay much higher flight fares if I thought I wouldn't encounter the hordes at my destinations.

Last break in UK in the Lake District we did the touristy boat trip thing.

Waiting for the return boat the pier had two lines divided by a tape barrier, each line for a different boat/destination.

Our boat arrived and started loading first. This caused panic in the other line and they started ducking under the tape to try and push to the front, for the wrong boat

Make a stab in the dark on nationality. ????????????

Just sayin'

Edited by overherebc

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Last break in UK in the Lake District we did the touristy boat trip thing.

Waitjing for the return boat the pier had two lines divided by a tape barrier, each line for a different boat/destination.

Our boat arrived and started loading first. This caused panic in the other line and they started ducking under the tape to try and push to the front, for the wrong boat

Make a stab in the dark on nationality. ????????????

Just sayin'

There's more Chinese in Bowness on a good day than there is in Wuhan.

Edited by Trillian
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

You don't say? I would never have guessed.

I have heard two anecdotal tales from friends that their Thai landlords have jacked up the rents to make up shortfalls.

One friend has already moved out of rented business and the other is in process of packing up and leaving his condo. 

The sufferation has only just begun.

Wait until they wake up and realise that there's nobody coming for the next 6 to 19 months. 

It's gonna be epic.

Oh I believe it!  

21 hours ago, johnray said:

Most of the big tourism spots are run by rich people.  So they should be able to wait it out.

The staff will go home.

That man's face looks like a pie.

Yes, one that is half eaten, even his obvious riches will keep the bargirls away.

Infrastructure is one thing, but my fantasy has always been that the powers that be including some that cannot be named would pay the unemployed to clean up all the trash that the "virtuous poor" have thrown by the wayside throughout the country. And at the same time institute a massive and threatening campaign that they JUST STOP DOING THAT. In the present situation such a program would be possible, the people at the top have the money, or access to it. And the tourists who finally arrive would love it. We would be world famous, third world (I know, a misnomer) without the third world.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Man alive! I scrolled down to see that article pic!!  Gaaah!  Looks like Yoda or the Muppets Doctor.....

Hans Moleman takes a bat to the face.......a face only a mother could love, a face for radio maybe.....geez

Don't be mean.

You should see his sister.

image.png.f0431365f5a9b42783b3847232106963.png

On Phuket, tourist related businesses are shut down. Ghost towns. However, Chalong, Rawai, Katu and parts of Phuket town are rocking, mostly on support from farang community and locals. Same farangs that supported food donation programs. Opening restaurants and bars were a big plus for community.

The dangers he does not (want) to see, are that:-

1.   Potential tourists will not have the money to spend on exotic holidays

2.  They will find alternative destinations.

3.  The rush to open up Thailand again will start another wave of Covid cases.

4.  Nobody will believe that Thailand is a safe destination for another year

12 hours ago, robbioff said:

Spot on Sir!

I wholely agree with your comments

https://childrenshealthdefense.org/news/lockdown-lunacy-2-0-second-wave-not-even-close/?utm_source=salsa&eType=EmailBlastContent&eId=a395f6e2-7587-4568-888d-e952f4666aec

one reason we  are seeing  some "spikes" because after the insane extended lockdowns people really ill are returning to Hospitals for critical treatments and are logged COVID19 

So 2 big questions if its just Media hype and i do see that hype

Why did CDC & WHO advocate lockdowns ??? and Govts accepted this advice & continued to do so, and why punish people with laws and penalties if it was in our best intetests?

why only a few countries rejected this ,its too much for me that ALL these countries followed suit and destroyed the economy

Thailand requires intending visitors to produce 2 "Covid-Free" certificates, each not more than 72 hours old. First one is part of the documentation required to be submitted to the nearest Thai Embassy, along with other documents, to apply for a Certificate of Entry. Second one is required at point of entry into Thailand, along with other specified documents.

My problem is; in Western Australia, testing is only available at about 7 locations throughout the State, and requires a Medical Referral from a General Practitioner indicating suspected Covid 19 symptoms in the patient! So one is immediately red-flagged as an infected person!

So how is that going to work?

I fear that unless they start testing those who are about to gather in "bubbles" like ships and planes, then we won't get a lid on this. This testing would need to be arranged by and paid for, by the relevant industries and their workers and clients.

One option is the just-mentioned testing, followed by 24 hours monitored lockdown in the departure country, pending the results, and an appropriate stamp ("found positive - must not travel" or "found negative okay to travel") on their Certificate of Entry from the local Thai Embassy. It could also be followed by some humane quarantine arrangements on arrival in Thailand, that include beach-front chalets / hotel windows that open to provide fresh air and relief from possible recirculated pathogens / and access to alcohol for those of us who feel the need of it. Then some tourists might be willing to try it.

On 7/12/2020 at 6:45 AM, mr mr said:

add another third and you will be closer to reality. 

Pattaya small business might be 50% gone at the present rate , until all

restrictions are eliminated for Europeans, Americans, South Americans -

only S.Korea, Japan, Taiwan will be able to " spend " at the same level .....

S.E.Asian community except for Singapore - doesn't reach this level yet .

just my un-educated guesstimates ......

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Trillian said:

I just checked the price and availability of hotels in Pattaya and surrounding areas using Agoda, weekend prices are not that interesting but weekday prices, even for 5 star hotels, are as cheap as chips, some discounts are massive. Things will pick up before too long.

Only if tourists are actually allowed in to Thailand! ????

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Even when the virus has gone? There isn't any corona in Thailand just now, if and that is a big if, that is the case, the government are trying to line the insurance companies pockets which also means their pockets are also being lined.

IMO, that would only apply if they restrict it to Thai-owned insurance companies. If foreign companies are acceptable, that argument doesn't hold water.

And...... if foreign insurance companies are not allowed, there will be no genuine tourists at all..... Travel insurance, by its very nature, is issued to residents of a country who wish to travel outside that country.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trillian said:

I'm in Thailand full time and I'm certainly going to take advantage of the discounts, I surely won't be the only one.

Good for you, but I doubt people in your position number enough to keep businesses afloat. The majority are indeed tourists.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, VBF said:

IMO, that would only apply if they restrict it to Thai-owned insurance companies. If foreign companies are acceptable, that argument doesn't hold water.

And...... if foreign insurance companies are not allowed, there will be no genuine tourists at all..... Travel insurance, by its very nature, is issued to residents of a country who wish to travel outside that country.

You have got this spot on, the last I read it was only Thai insurance companies picked by the government, I have not seen anything mentioned yet about any western insurance companies providing cover only for corona.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

You have got this spot on, the last I read it was only Thai insurance companies picked by the government, I have not seen anything mentioned yet about any western insurance companies providing cover only for corona.

Thanks but a little unsure what you're staying here...or you might be making 2 separate points?

If you mean the Thais are only allowing Thai companies to provide the cover, then we're in agreement and it ain't gonna fly!

If, on the other hand, you're saying that there are no western companies offering the requisite cover, then not so. 

There are many UK companies now including Covid cover - see my topic:

This proves that the powers that be in Thailand wants a strong baht. 

Here's my reasoning: 

Before corona the government said that the reason they can't just print money to devalue the baht is because the U.S. would label them a currency manipulator. But with Covid-19 and one third of tourism going under etc, they have the perfect excuse to go on a massive money printing scheme that would 1. bail out everyone. 2. Devalue the way too strong baht (and thus encourage future tourism). 

why would they not do this unless they secretly want a strong baht? 

What am I missing?