Should I extend expired Non OA based on retirement?

I hold US passport, live in Bangkok. my Non-OA year-stay based on retirement expired early this month and I did not extend it, since I need to depart Thailand in early August anyway and planned to come back in December visa exempt and apply for Non-O at CW. Now I'm having second thoughts and wondering if I should extend the Non-OA because of all the uncertainty around flights and borders in the future -- people in this forum say CW will extend expired Non-OA under the amnesty. One thing I'm wondering: would I have a better chance of being allowed back into Thailand in December if I'm holding a Non-OA extension than if I came in visa exempt?

And if I extend:

-- should I get single re-entry so I can convert to Non-O when I return. Or in these uncertain times, is it safer to get double or multiple? If single, the Non O-A would be invalidated as soon as I pass immigration upon arrival, correct? If I changed my mind because of new COVID circumstances, could I get another re-entry at overseas Thai consulate before flying to Thailand, or at Suvarnabhumi arrival before going to immigration?

-- For the cheaper LMG insurance recommended in this forum, what day should I have the policy start if my stay already expired? Would it need to be backdated to the expiry date (is that even possible)?

Pls excuse me, I posted related message on my situation earlier but am now asking new questions. I appreciate your advice.

Try and extend it asap.

Some believe you won't be able to obtain new extension as you allowed previous permission of stay expire. I believe that will be the case. 

Some folk believe your OK and can extend during amnesty with expired POS. 

You immigration office will advise.

Either way try and extend, your current plan is huge risk.

You will need insurance

Edited by DrJack54

20 hours ago, david_je said:

And if I extend:

-- should I get single re-entry so I can convert to Non-O when I return.

There's lots of things unsaid in the OP, which dependent upon the facts require separate answers entirely.

Is he on an EOS based on O-A or is he on first year of an O-A based on Retirement, which in normal circumstances he could extend to take full advantage of the available two years.

If you're on your first year you wouldn't need the R-E permit in normal circumstances, and to change to an O would require leaving and returning after the O-A had expired and getting VOA.

Go to the IO.....ASAP.

Edited by UncleMhee

I came on an O-A in 2017 and am now on my 2nd 1 year extension of stay. I would recommend that you apply for a 1 year extension of stay if possible. With the current border situation being what it is along with all the uncertainties for the future it makes sense (to me) to secure your ability to stay in the country now and in the next year. You need to make sure your can meet the financial and insurance requirements. You do not have to try to get the 2nd year of permission to stay that you could get if leaving/re-entering during the first year of the visa. The border situation makes that impractical. If your ultimate plan is to get a non-O without the insurance requirement then I would not purchase a multiple entry permit along with the 1 year permission to stay. If you do want to leave and re-enter on your O-A you can purchase a single re-entry permit each time you travel. If you want to "kill" the permission to stay stamp then you would leave without a re-entry permit. When you re-enter on a 30 visa exempt you can then go through the process of getting a non-O inside the country. Alternatively you could try to get a non-O outside the country before returning. As far at returning is concerned, there doesn't seem to be any preference toward O-A visa holders. You wouldn't have a visa anyway. You would have a 1 year extension of a previous O-A (now expired) visa. Even Elite Visa holders do not have a preference to return right now. No one knows what the future re-entry requirements will be in December. My guess is that it will still be difficult to return particularly from the US.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, david_je said:

-- should I get single re-entry so I can convert to Non-O when I return. Or in these uncertain times, is it safer to get double or multiple? If single, the Non O-A would be invalidated as soon as I pass immigration upon arrival, correct? If I changed my mind because of new COVID circumstances, could I get another re-entry at overseas Thai consulate before flying to Thailand, or at Suvarnabhumi arrival before going to immigration?

I'm not sure exactly what you're saying, but let me give it a try. 

If you extend your stay based on the OA, get a single-entry reentry permit, depart, and then come back to Thailand using that permit, you won't be able to convert to a Non-O in-country, because you will still be on your OA-based retirement extension. You would have to leave the country again (assuming borders were open) and then return on a visa-exempt or with a tourist visa in order to lose your extension and start the process over again by getting a Non-O.

Similarly, you're getting it backwards when you ask whether "the Non O-A would be invalidated as soon as I pass immigration upon arrival". As mentioned above, on ARRIVAL you would be allowed in to resume your existing stay based on the old OA. If you DEPART Thailand without a reentry permit, on the other hand, that will indeed invalidate your extension.

To your last point, you can't get a reentry permit at a Thai embassy or consulate abroad. If you leave Thailand with no reentry permit, your extension is "dead" and can't be revived - you would have to either get a new visa or enter as visa-exempt.

5 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I would extent ASAP. Once you leave the Kingdom, you never know what rules may be in place when you want to return. You are better off with a valid Visa.

Valid permission to stay, no visa. 

Thank you to all for helpful advice.

I will try to extend my O-A. (By the way, to respond to one question, it would be my 5th or 6th annual extension.)

Thanks for pointing out that leaving with no re-entry would invalidate the stay permission. I had the impression from other forum posts that it was with a single re-entry.

However, I'm wondering if I should get a single re-entry to keep my stay alive after I leave Thailand for abroad in a few weeks -- just in case in future (in my case, in December) people with valid retirement stays are allowed in and visa exempt not. (I know they are given no preference currently.) Though that would delay my plan to convert to Non-O.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It is extremely likely that the visa exempt entry Option will be suspended for some indefinite period of time for most, if not all, nationalities.

As of now they have not been suspended visa exempt entries other than for 2 countries. See: http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/filemanager/VISA/Visa on Arrival/VOA.pdf

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

As of now they have not been suspended visa exempt entries other than for 2 countries. See: http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/filemanager/VISA/Visa on Arrival/VOA.pdf

I understand and agree, but as all but pre authorised entry is suspended now it makes no difference, once general entry is again permitted do you think that VE will be permitted? Unless there is an effective vacation available.

I’m taking about the next few months.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

19 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I understand and agree, but as all but pre authorised entry is suspended now it makes no difference, once general entry is again permitted do you think that VE will be permitted?

If they start allowing everybody into the country I think visa exempt entries will be allowed.

Visas on arrival for those from 21 countries have been suspended until September 30th.