Thailand allows limited border crossings

geovalin

Thai authorities yesterday allowed 50 pick-up trucks and cars from Banteay Meanchey province’s Poipet city to enter Thailand’s Rong Kluea market to remove their belongings for the first time since COVID-19 forced border closures in March.

Deputy Banteay Meanchey provincial governor Ngor Meng Chroun yesterday confirmed the Thai authorities had allowed 50 pick-up trucks and cars from Cambodia to cross the border, with only two persons allowed per truck, to check on their goods as promised. “I want to reiterate to vendors that Thai authorities are only allowing 50 designated trucks per day to check on their goods. I do not want vendors to be confused that the Thai border is open again and come down on mass to try and enter,” he said.

Last week, a letter signed by Poipet city governor Keat Hul said: “The Banteay Meanchey and Sa Kaeo provincial administrations have agreed to reopen the Klong Luek border checkpoint to allow Cambodian traders across to collect their merchandise at Rong Kluea Market from July 15 onwards.” The letter said the checkpoint will be open five hours per day, from 8am, with crossings limited to 50 pick-up trucks per day.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50744758/thailand-allows-limited-border-crossings/

I agree Bangkok Barry.  If they were letting them in to retrieve there goods and equipment then to me it looks like the borders will stay closed for awhile longer.  Now at least the merchants can use there own wares in there own country.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I agree Bangkok Barry.  If they were letting them in to retrieve there goods and equipment then to me it looks like the borders will stay closed for awhile longer.  Now at least the merchants can use there own wares in there own country.

I think it said to check on there goods not to take them away

18 minutes ago, Almer said:

I think it said to check on there goods not to take them away

Here is the verbiage from the Op's article

Thai authorities yesterday allowed 50 pick-up trucks and cars from Banteay Meanchey province’s Poipet city to enter Thailand’s Rong Kluea market to remove their belongings for the first time since COVID-19 forced border closures in March.

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Here is the verbiage from the Op's article

Here is more verbiage from the Op's article

Thai authorities had allowed 50 pick-up trucks and cars from Cambodia to cross the border, with only two persons allowed per truck, to check on their goods as promised.

“I want to reiterate to vendors that Thai authorities are only allowing 50 designated trucks per day to check on their goods.

Mixed messages as usual......

Edited by UncleMhee
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

So, it sounds like the borders are going to remain closed for the foreseeable future. Or else why go through this procedure?

I think that's a foregone conclusion. That being said, perhaps the borders may re-open in a limited capacity in 2-3 months from now (at least for Thais and Cambodians) but even if that were to be the case, removing belongings now makes sense. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my stuff behind anywhere, even for a day, let alone several months or possibly longer.

On 7/16/2020 at 2:48 PM, yuyiinthesky said:

With Cambodia being SARS-CoV-2 free for months now, even much longer than Thailand, there is no excuse to keep the land borders between Thailand and Cambodia closed.

Agreed and it seems the decision to keep it closed is from the Thai side. The questions is why. Does nto seem credible that it is related to COVID.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Agreed and it seems the decision to keep it closed is from the Thai side. The questions is why. Does nto seem credible that it is related to COVID.

Who knows. Last year the Cambodian side closed the border to prevent a well known opposition figure from entering. I don't think we can say for sure which side is more hesitant at re-opening, but generally speaking, the Thais are more open for lack of a better term. This time may or may not be different.

Since no regional borders are really "open" as such, we'll just have to wait a few more months...and yes it's due to covid. Since some limited border crossings have been allowed, I don't see the border as being "fully shut" anymore. Still, I can't see Thailand re-opening it's borders before any other country. Myanmar said: no tourists until October, Malaysia, no foreigners until at least Sep 1.

It isn't just Thailand dragging it's feet, trust me...