living in a condo vs house

kwak250

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I used to love Bkk. Stayed there lots. Loved the busyness and the vibe. It was quite exciting for a country boy. Then I discovered Pattaya- same benefits of busyness and nightlife, but without the pollution and dirt. That was long ago though. Now Pattaya is as bad as Bkk and I have no idea where would be nice to live in LOS anymore.

It is why I, well before the Covid issue, would head back to the California and the mountains for a visit with relatives.  However, since Covid, and for unknown reasons other than less people being in Bangkok, the pollution has become minimal. Clarity like I have not observed in quite a few years.  Looked at moving to Chiang Rai, but now who knows

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

All that concrete and pollution. Yuk.

Give me rice paddies and mountains or sunset over the sand and sea any time.

Cities suck.

hey,  i'm happy most of humanity chooses to live in concrete boxes crammed together,

Leaves a bit more open space for you and me  ????

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

A small town with terrible management, broken infrastructure, traffic jams as bad as Bkk, no decent taxis and rip off red songtheaws, awful parking at the airport. I knew it well.

If one has enough money for the more expensive accommodation, Pattaya has better malls and actually has a nightlife, while C M has nothing even pretending to be decent nightlife- it's a nightlife desert.

That's not forgetting the pollution from burning ( that can actually kill one ) for months at a time up north.

I lived there, in a very nice hotel on a quiet street, but only because I had no desire to have a nightlife. Cup of coffee and some movies on the tv was as good as I needed.

Nah, traffic jams are nowhere near as bad as BKK. I have my own car so I know a bit about traffic here, its not great sometimes but nowhere near as bad as BKK. But even when I took Grab taxis I didn't find it so bad.

There was a very good nightlife in CM pre Covid actually, though obvously different to Pataya.

On 7/19/2020 at 4:43 PM, Emmess said:

A day and night view from my condoimage.thumb.png.1722ade04627f6124c1749c2b753b3a5.pngimage.thumb.png.fd6ebccc2bcb0e6ab2c420d7d6c60fa8.png

Such view would give me nightmare if I had to look at it day and night. Bangkok skyline is not one of the best, but one of the worst. The one decent city view in my book is that of Paris, though I'd settle for Chicago (I set the bar high, I know - London can no way make it to my list.) The rest are just different degrees of eyesore, that is if you can see anything through the pollution soup (though a body of water would offer some soothing, as in this illustration). Who cares about "city view" if it's only a melee of hodge-podge architecture that compete for ugliness. And you can forget about sunrise and sunset when it's 2.5 pm outside - as you can hear your plants choke to death on your balcony.

4 minutes ago, watthong said:

Such view would give me nightmare if I had to look at it day and night. Bangkok skyline is not one of the best, but one of the worst. The one decent city view in my book is that of Paris, though I'd settle for Chicago (I set the bar high, I know - London can no way make it to my list.) The rest are just different degrees of eyesore, that is if you can see anything through the pollution soup (though a body of water would offer some soothing, as in this illustration). Who cares about "city view" if it's only a melee of hodge-podge architecture that compete for ugliness. And you can forget about sunrise and sunset when it's 2.5 pm outside - as you can hear your plants choke to death on your balcony.

Each floor higher adds value..to a buyer, and at the land office.  The pollution often helps the sunset colors.  Chi-Raq?  Wouldn't go there to throw up.

On 7/17/2020 at 2:11 PM, ArickChaiyaphum said:

A condo how horrible. I  prefer my five rai of land with pool and garden and horses any day! Even if I had my billionaires friend's penthouse in Bangkok. I believe they would proably agree with me. 

I think you missed the point.

• Like 1

The elephant in the room is with a house in a majority of cases it's in the wife's name, so kiss it goodbye if you break up.

I still think condos with high floors and sea views are very over rated, you see more eye sores too, personally i prefer a lower floor which is more similar to house views of trees and the like

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The elephant in the room is with a house in a majority of cases it's in the wife's name, so kiss it goodbye if you break up.

I still think condos with high floors and sea views are very over rated, you see more eye sores too, personally i prefer a lower floor which is more similar to house views of trees and the like

Lower floors will often be the unsold ones held by the developer as rentals.  There were valid points made about the oceanfront ones, though.  It is going to be easier to live without ac on the lower floors, and the Thais especially are into that, but fortunately AC costs have gone down over the years, and not up.

Edited by moontang

On 7/19/2020 at 10:14 PM, Logosone said:

Nah, traffic jams are nowhere near as bad as BKK. I have my own car so I know a bit about traffic here, its not great sometimes but nowhere near as bad as BKK. But even when I took Grab taxis I didn't find it so bad.

There was a very good nightlife in CM pre Covid actually, though obvously different to Pataya.

I have to disagree about the traffic jams. At certain times of the day they were as bad as Bkk, but not all day.

Your opinion on nightlife differs from mine. IMO nightlife in C M was so pathetic that I didn't even bother. A good movie was more exciting than sitting around in a dark bar attempting to find one half way attractive, and then being told the cost of a night out which was excessive by any standards.

As for non girl related night life, if there was any it eluded me. I don't consider eating as night life.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

To each their own, but if I couldn't get a view from up high I'd rather rent a house than a small box in a condo. IMO the only point of a condo IS the view from on high.

1 minute ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Sathorn evening view.

photo-2.jpg

At night from on high one doesn't see the dirt, the broken pavements, the dangerous hanging wires, the hawkers blocking the pedestrian way, the m'bike taxi guys obstructing the pavement, etc. Yep, sure looks great from on high at night.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

At night from on high one doesn't see the dirt, the broken pavements, the dangerous hanging wires, the hawkers blocking the pedestrian way, the m'bike taxi guys obstructing the pavement, etc. Yep, sure looks great from on high at night.

Don't upset the city Gods.

FB_IMG_1433842055255.jpg