living in a condo vs house

kwak250

16 hours ago, scammed said:

i dont like insects, ergo condo it is

Hardly any in our house, surprising I know, but it is insect free, or as near as dammit.  Hardly any mossies or flies either and I have no idea why we are spared this irritation, at least in the main house.  We do own another house, 25k down the road and it does have the 'normal' (for here)  fly and mossie problem, but that is for our tenants to live with. 

Edited by Pilotman

23 hours ago, TrevorC said:

as I age the fact that I only have to take care of interior maintenance

I find the physical labour involved in maintaining a small villa excellent for my health, and I am loving gardening, growing plants from cuttings, watching living things grow. I also play guitar and piano, dabble in art and enjoy computer games. Balancing indoor and outdoor activity is essential for me.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

You could have just typed out the last 5 words, instead of all the usual self absorbing spill?

why didn't you just read the last 5 words ........... since you seem to know what was going to

be written ?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, rumak said:

why didn't you just read the last 5 words ........... since you seem to know what was going to

be written ?

I know, more fool me eh, I've not been able to sleep since, just keeps going over and over in my mind why did I read the rest on it, HUH?? .I do appreciate your insight and wisdom..thank you so much.

Ownership rules alone make condo ownership preferable, of course none of us have ever heard of a foreign "homeowner," losing "his" property.  Also, the house condo decision is practically a fantasy in the many places, where land prices are 50k to 2 million per wah.  A better question might be do you want a condo with close proximity to the beach (couple of minutes walk) or a house in a moo baan, where it seems more like some BKK exhurb, with no Gulf breeze, and serious mosquito issues?  And which will be easier to sell?  Now a beach less place like CM, with more sane land prices..the decision would be tougher, as the trendy spots like Nimman have swirled down the toilet as far as fun and entertainment.  But, then you go out to Hang Dong, San Patong, and then you have dog problems, flooding, and perhaps a nice PA System in the village.  Land appreciates here, concrete does not.  But, you still have exposure to land appreciation in the top condo locations, as they will pay 60% of development cost for the land it sits on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, moontang said:

Ownership rules alone make condo ownership preferable, of course none of us have ever heard of a foreign "homeowner," losing "his" property.  Also, the house condo decision is practically a fantasy in the many places, where land prices are 50k to 2 million per wah.  A better question might be do you want a condo with close proximity to the beach (couple of minutes walk) or a house in a moo baan, where it seems more like some BKK exhurb, with no Gulf breeze, and serious mosquito issues?  And which will be easier to sell?  Now a beach less place like CM, with more sane land prices..the decision would be tougher, as the trendy spots like Nimman have swirled down the toilet as far as fun and entertainment.  But, then you go out to Hang Dong, San Patong, and then you have dog problems, flooding, and perhaps a nice PA System in the village.  Land appreciates here, concrete does not.  But, you still have exposure to land appreciation in the top condo locations, as they will pay 60% of development cost for the land it sits on.

I'd have to agree, given Thai laws only condo ownership is wholly free of legal residual risk, owning land or houses you have to trust the developer, the wife, the nominee lawyer, whatever, either way there's a residual risk.

If I could buy in Bangkok, like I can in Penang, I would not do so, I would rather buy in Chiang Mai where land prices are very reasonable but you have almost all the amenities of Bangkok. Plus the air is only bad for two months, as opposed to 12. In Chiang Mai, pre Covid19 Zoe in Yellow was hopping and a lot of fun. Will probably come back.

Hang Dong is too far away anyway, and terrible traffic, probably San Sai and parts of Doi Saket would be better.

Flooding won't be an issue if the house is built high enough, but dogs, PA system definitely an issue.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Plus the air is only bad for two months,

good posts from mr moon and logo.     chiangmai has been a decent place to live ( i also lived in

doi saket and 70km  outside of CM ).      so i have seen the "progression" over a 25 year span.

Nice land in and around CM, prices going up,   but still reasonable.  

I am trying to sell my CM land...... but if not will go to south for 3 months during smog season.

Would rather just move to beach area though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rumak said:

good posts from mr moon and logo.     chiangmai has been a decent place to live ( i also lived in

doi saket and 70km  outside of CM ).      so i have seen the "progression" over a 25 year span.

Nice land in and around CM, prices going up,   but still reasonable.  

I am trying to sell my CM land...... but if not will go to south for 3 months during smog season.

Would rather just move to beach area though.

I will definitely look at the south, I have heard such good things and the beach is of course an attraction.

Chiang Mai has so many good sides, the traffic is less bad than most big cities in Asia, and the wealth of tourist attractions and eateries, well, a food journalist from the guardian wrote he ate better in CM than anywhere else. And he was Indian.

I like the place, but the air quality really is a major problem.

Some of you should check out the Riverside areas of BKK.  Been here two years, and the breezes can be amazing.  CM is going to beat Asoke most of the year, for sure, but I think my area, upstream from EGAT beats CM most of the year, and there is never that smoldering campfire smell you get in CM.  Rainy season comes earlier, too.  Boonies has its pros, but driving miles is money and risks. 

Edited by moontang
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I like the place, but the air quality really is a major problem.

i know we shouldn't turn this into a CM story   55   the funny thing is,  many years ago i would often

drive down to you know where for some R and R .   Also went to Ko Samet when it was primitive.

But when driving home I always felt happy when I hit the area starting with Tak.  Just something

nice and green,  and cooler,  than the beach.

Now CM is often just as hot as down in coastal areas,  and this year when i went i enjoyed the cooling afternoon breeze.  And the really clean air .

1 hour ago, moontang said:

Some of you should check out the Riverside areas of BKK.  Been here two years, and the breezes can be amazing.  CM is going to beat Asoke most of the year, for sure, but I think my area, upstream from EGAT beats CM most of the year, and there is never that smoldering campfire smell you get in CM.  Rainy season comes earlier, too.  Boonies has its pros, but driving miles is money and risks. 

Fair point it probably depends where you are in BKK. I was in Bang Na and then Lat Phrao, in the first place on a very busy road, so the pollution was really bad.

The two months in CM are horrific, but the now even the air is perfect. It does feel a bit out of the way. Obviously lacks that energy of BKK.

40 minutes ago, rumak said:

i know we shouldn't turn this into a CM story   55   the funny thing is,  many years ago i would often

drive down to you know where for some R and R .   Also went to Ko Samet when it was primitive.

But when driving home I always felt happy when I hit the area starting with Tak.  Just something

nice and green,  and cooler,  than the beach.

Now CM is often just as hot as down in coastal areas,  and this year when i went i enjoyed the cooling afternoon breeze.  And the really clean air .

Absolutely true, some months are scorching hot here.

I think CM is a good compromise. It's not smalltown USA where nothing happens, and it's not overcrowded polluted world metropolis, but still has great malls, restaurants, nightlife, internet and supermarkets, massage and most of the amenities of a big city. Not all. Most though.

Condo = neighbours. Must have at least 500m to the next one or it'll be a feud. Penthouse with a private elevator and a couple of empty floors below might do it in a pinch. A long as it's the tallest tower within a few kilometers.

• Haha 1

Just now, Logosone said:

I think CM is a good compromise. It's not smalltown USA where nothing happens, and it's not overcrowded polluted world metropolis, but still has great malls, restaurants, nightlife, internet and supermarkets, massage and most of the amenities of a big city. Not all. Most though.

massage , hmmmm.      Now when you say that many memories come back from the past.

and not really about massage    555   anyone remember the old  blue moon ?

true though about food availability here.   but we cook at home.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, rumak said:

massage , hmmmm.      Now when you say that many memories come back from the past.

and not really about massage    555   anyone remember the old  blue moon ?

true though about food availability here.   but we cook at home.

Then there's that. 

CM has a lot of universities. ????

Just now, Logosone said:

Then there's that. 

CM has a lot of universities. ????

you're making me jealous.    i am retired .........  or maybe just tired.

my message beeper is quiet .  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ThaiFelix said:

We used to have a hell of a lot more sex when we lived in an apartment, now that we have built our own house I cant get her out of the garden!!  

So no shaggin in the wheelbarrow I take it.  

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Logosone said:

A small town with terrible management, broken infrastructure, traffic jams as bad as Bkk, no decent taxis and rip off red songtheaws, awful parking at the airport. I knew it well.

If one has enough money for the more expensive accommodation, Pattaya has better malls and actually has a nightlife, while C M has nothing even pretending to be decent nightlife- it's a nightlife desert.

That's not forgetting the pollution from burning ( that can actually kill one ) for months at a time up north.

I lived there, in a very nice hotel on a quiet street, but only because I had no desire to have a nightlife. Cup of coffee and some movies on the tv was as good as I needed.

57 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

All that concrete and pollution. Yuk.

Give me rice paddies and mountains or sunset over the sand and sea any time.

Cities suck.

Pm 2.5 outside right now here in Bangkok, well at least in Sathon where I am.  Lumpini Park just .3km away for a nice walk, stroll or morning jog in the park as well.  Lots of green and flowers right now.

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Pm 2.5 outside right now here in Bangkok, well at least in Sathon where I am.  Lumpini Park just .3km away for a nice walk, stroll or morning jog in the park as well.  Lots of green and flowers right now.

I used to love Bkk. Stayed there lots. Loved the busyness and the vibe. It was quite exciting for a country boy. Then I discovered Pattaya- same benefits of busyness and nightlife, but without the pollution and dirt. That was long ago though. Now Pattaya is as bad as Bkk and I have no idea where would be nice to live in LOS anymore.