Too-tight virus policy is strangling Thai economy, experts warn

webfact

People say things won't go back to normal "ever", tourists will stay away "forever"... thats a long time and its silly to say that.  Two years or so, yeah I could see that.  Thai people can get by until things start to come back.  They have much more patience than westerners, seems to me.

• Confused 4
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Visarghhhh said:

People say things won't go back to normal "ever", tourists will stay away "forever"... thats a long time and its silly to say that.

If by "normal" you mean 38 million tourists in a year, then yeah, that's a long, long, long time in the future.

The Thai tourism model is based on low-price/high volume supported by massive infrastructure: planes, buses, hotels, buffets, etc. To start with you need thousands of flights to transport tens of millions of tourists. Even the airlines don't forecast this happening anytime soon.

I dont think anyone is suggesting that "tourists" will stay away forever? Just not gonna see (38) millions in the next five years.

Obviously a vaccine would help, can see countries requiring it for entry.

Yes there will be pent-up demand, and yes, dozens of countries will all be looking to incentivize tourism.

Agree that insurance will be mandatory, or they will increase the PSC to 1,000 or 1,500, with a portion skimmed for the MoH to pay delinquent bills.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 12:05 AM, Destiny1990 said:

Zweden did nothing besides protecting their elderly...all business normally open so their economy hardly effected and their death numbers are much better then countries such as spain and usa with very strict long lockdowns!

Wrong...wrong...aaaaand wrong again!

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Visarghhhh said:

People say things won't go back to normal "ever", tourists will stay away "forever"... thats a long time and its silly to say that.  Two years or so, yeah I could see that.  Thai people can get by until things start to come back.  They have much more patience than westerners, seems to me.

...and with patience you can buy a lot of rice and canned fish...right?!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pookondee said:

I see zero comments on there now.

The must have been cleaned? 

Must have been removed as there were loads of them just a few days ago... Interesting but not surprising as most of them were very negative posts

13 hours ago, Visarghhhh said:

Lets put this in simple terms. If Vietnam or the Philippines opens up before Thailand, people from Western countries will go there and when they see how much more they are getting for their money compared to Thailand and the over valued Baht they are very unlikely to want to return to Thailand.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

If by "normal" you mean 38 million tourists in a year, then yeah, that's a long, long, long time in the future.

The Thai tourism model is based on low-price/high volume supported by massive infrastructure: planes, buses, hotels, buffets, etc. To start with you need thousands of flights to transport tens of millions of tourists. Even the airlines don't forecast this happening anytime soon.

I dont think anyone is suggesting that "tourists" will stay away forever? Just not gonna see (38) millions in the next five years.

Obviously a vaccine would help, can see countries requiring it for entry.

Yes there will be pent-up demand, and yes, dozens of countries will all be looking to incentivize tourism.

Agree that insurance will be mandatory, or they will increase the PSC to 1,000 or 1,500, with a portion skimmed for the MoH to pay delinquent bills.

Less tourists arriving in Thailand means less airport workers wanted at the airports

Less tourists arriving arriving at the airport means less taxes are needed at the airport to take people to hotels.

Less tourists staying at hotels means hotels will close or the one's that can stay open will need less staff.

With less people in tourists areas means that restaurants and bars that cater for tourists will either close of have to reduce staff.

There are going to be a lot of people out of work in Thailand due to the lack of tourists

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Aussie Col said:

Less tourists arriving in Thailand means less airport workers wanted at the airports

Less tourists arriving arriving at the airport means less taxes are needed at the airport to take people to hotels.

Less tourists staying at hotels means hotels will close or the one's that can stay open will need less staff.

With less people in tourists areas means that restaurants and bars that cater for tourists will either close of have to reduce staff.

There are going to be a lot of people out of work in Thailand due to the lack of tourists

Very good points add to that add all the supply companies who supply the above from the sale of fuel, food, cleaning products, souvenirs etc.not only hotels, bars closing down

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Very good points add to that add all the supply companies who supply the above from the sale of fuel, food, cleaning products, souvenirs etc.not only hotels, bars closing down

Indeed it's all a knock on effect

I think people are still holding onto the delusion that the current method in Thailand isn't going to have a major economic impact. Half as many jobs, same number of people @ working age. I can assure you there's a couple of "professions" that people will be getting into at dramatic rate in the next 12-18 mos. Western puritans, prepare yourselves for mass triggering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, kingdong said:

and i not want you come great britain and bring disease with you.

What about Northern Ireland.? 

In case you didn't realise it Great Britain is not a country, it is an island the largest in the British Isles. 

Edited by rott
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Aussie Col said:

If Thailand thinks they can survive in the modern world and prosper without the money that tourism bring in they are totally deluded. Millions of jobs will be lost directly and indirectly.

Other countries in the region will be rubbing there hands with glee at the thought that they will get billions in tourism money and 100,000's of new jobs that Thailand doesn't want.

Where are these billions of dollars going to be spent? International tourism is dead in many places right now. 

On 7/18/2020 at 1:58 PM, Alex 012 said:

1 week holiday turns into 5.  2 week quarantine in Thailand, 1 week holiday, 2 week quarantine back in Australia.  5 weeks paid accommodation plus an inflated plane cost.

Even IF plane flights are plentiful, there is hardly anyone that could take 5 weeks off work.

And there are no flights.

Let's talk again in the first half of 2022.

Did you make a typo here?

quoting 2022?

Seriously?

For mine, that goes beyond pessimism, if you think there is no international travel for Australians until 2022.

Surely Australians wont cop that?

In other countries there will be rioting and looting before people accept that.

Or are they that patheticly weak, indoctrinated and controlled, even worse than Thais?

On 7/19/2020 at 6:21 PM, RR2020 said:

Look.   The Fear and Panic and I am so scared mentality is ridiculous.

Look at the factual data.........Cases in the world is rising fast - Deaths in the world is staying the same - This means the virus is now likely mutating fast and becoming very weak - and also it is fatal to only a very small minority (those very old and those with underlying disease) - which means for probably 99.9% of the worlds population there is no more danger than the flu.

Look at the data......... grow up and grow some.  If cases is rising but deaths is not - its obvious to anyone with half of one brain cell in my view.

daily-covid-cases-deaths.png

Good post.

Its obvious, the people in charge dont have one brain cell, and the general public even less.

It started out, and still remains, this thing is the worst flu we've experienced but generally only threatens the old,

weak immune system, pre existing conditions; chronic smokers and obese.

Effectively, the whole world populace has gone from believing the above..

to treating this like its some sort of bubonic plague that can strikes you down on the spot.. like spontaneous combustion.  

A world of idiots, but sadly, the few that see aint gonna be able to convince the rest, who prefer to cower in fear.