Why Australians are banned from international travel

ezzra

The government has us locked in, but is that right – or even legal?

Remember the words at the end of the Eagles' Hotel California? "You can check out any time you like but you can never leave". Feels a bit like Australia at the moment.

As part of its response to the pandemic, the Australian government has made it tough for its citizens and permanent residents to leave. Not only are all incoming travellers required to enter hotel quarantine for 14 days, (with a possible exception if you happen to be a media mogul returning from Aspen in your private jet, or Dannii Minogue), the government has clamped down on your right...

https://www.traveller.com.au/covid19-pandemic-and-border-closures-why-australians-are-banned-from-international-travel-h1pds6

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

In light of the Covid-19 situation, can you imagine what would transpire if they allowed flights in and out as per usual ?

On one hand it's all about control, but on the other, if they don't control the situation, it will look like the USA.

Maybe people want to leave and not coming back for a very long time.

• Like 2

Although Draconian, it's a wise move...those Australians that leave would ultimately want to return...mandartory isolation for two weeks for hundreds of thousands dosnt come cheap. Isn't there protocol for those that have a valid reason?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Maybe people want to leave and not coming back for a very long time.

They are allowing some people out, however they have to have good reason/s, wanting to return to their home countries and expats wanting to return to their overseas abodes, subject to all paperwork being in order, like certificates, insurance for Thailand for example they will allow them to fly, but that is subject to their being a flight that will haul their a-s-s-e-s out of the land down under.

Not only that but they have made it extremely difficult to return. A further tightening of the direction to airlines inbound to reduce passengers to only 30. According to the Australian Ambassador yesterday Qatar Airways is flogging one way tickets for 16 to 20 k$A. Its tantamount to a ban on Australian's returning home, I dislike Governments at the best of times, I want to know why they just cant have a testing regime set up, instead of ridiclous restrictions which are in effect bans. Test before you fly, quarantine on arrival, test 2/3 days later if clear, download tracing app free to go, test again 14 days. Simple enough, nah not if Government involved. If I thought it would do any good I would write to a pollie. Last time I did that I got a reply from a robot. Replying got no response at all. They couldn't give a rat's.  

On 7/17/2020 at 6:06 AM, tribalfusion001 said:

Fight back and overthrow the tyranny. It's outrageous that Australians cannot leave their own country, fascism at it's best.

Oh  I dont know, its  BIGGER  than most countries, why would  you want to leave, plenty of room and great  places to see there, Ive never  been obviously!