Using a system image with Win 7

TSF

For some years I've been using Win 7 Ultimate on a Lenovo Ideapad 310. The HDD was in 3 partitions, the E: partition was where I kept a system image created by the Win 7 inbuilt image tool. Whenever I had some problems, corrupted files or faulty software, I rebooted, hit F8, up came the repair windows screen, I clicked repair using the system image, and 30 minutes later the system backup image had replaced the faulty one.

Then a few weeks ago I took my laptop to a Thai tech to install Win 10, I tried it and don't like it, so got Win 7 installed again. I made a system image of my clean Win 7 installation after I had set everything up, but when I went to test it I can no longer restore from a system image like I previously did. Now it says I have to use a repair disc and do this and do that.

So what has changed? Why with the same laptop using the same Win 7 could I easily repair using a backup system image before and not now? Has the tech changed something in the BIOS?

Any ideas anyone?

I'm just squeezing the last out of this laptop, probably by the end of this year I'll have bought a new laptop with SSD. And I'll probably never need to put the backed up system image on between now and dumping this old machine.

Nonetheless, I'd still like to know what has changed and why? I'm puzzled why I could once do something and not now?

23 minutes ago, TSF said:

I'm just squeezing the last out of this laptop, probably by the end of this year I'll have bought a new laptop with SSD. And I'll probably never need to put the backed up system image on between now and dumping this old machine.

Nonetheless, I'd still like to know what has changed and why? I'm puzzled why I could once do something and not now?

But you aren't squeezing the last out of the laptop. You never seen it perform as it should. Spend 600 baht on an SSD and shock yourself with the difference in performance.

You likely won't even bother with a new laptop, unless there is a mechanical problem with the device.

600 baht vs the cost of a new laptop.

The laptop with which I'm posting is more than thirteen years old, but is fitted with an SSD, so still does everything I need promptly. It was a waste of time with an HDD. Wouldn't even bother to use it.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

But you aren't squeezing the last out of the laptop. You never seen it perform as it should. Spend 600 baht on an SSD and shock yourself with the difference in performance.

You likely won't even bother with a new laptop, unless there is a mechanical problem with the device.

600 baht vs the cost of a new laptop.

The laptop with which I'm posting is more than thirteen years old, but is fitted with an SSD, so still does everything I need promptly. It was a waste of time with an HDD. Wouldn't even bother to use it.

I'll get the SSD soon, after I buy a CD player to replace the cassette player in my car.????????????

21 minutes ago, TSF said:

I'll get the SSD soon, after I buy a CD player to replace the cassette player in my car.????????????

Seriously, you should do it. Even if you intend to install Windows 7 to it. It might save you the cost of a new laptop.

https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/solid-state-drives-ssd/lite-on/mu-3-series-120gb-3d-nand-sata-iii-ssd-2-5inch-ph6-ce120-l-p049283/ 630 baht will do it.