Thailand develops one hour COVID-19 testing kit with 97% accuracy

rooster59

16 minutes ago, tso310 said:

In late March Sky News UK showed a report from Thailand demonstrating a 90 min locally developed test. Needless to say it disappeared without trace. Now it maybe that it wasn't sensitive enough and it has been refined successfully. The problem is that to many times have Thais come up with something which hasn't been tested/scrutinesed to international standards. We'll have to wait and see or should I say not hear on this one.

I don't think this is the PTT/MIT/etc one I think you're referring to. That one seems to have been a dud.

LAMP is not a new thing, what they have done here seems to be to build up production capability. For which I salute them, well done.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

This does have the potential to be a game changer, if combined with a bluetooth tracing system embedded in Android & iOS. Incubation time is still a problem though, RNA tests need the virus RNA in the sample in sufficient quantities. The thermocycling in PCR is done to multiply the detectable material. I would guess this is the same swab-thermocycle-test system, the 1h comes from that. PCR part is likely replaced by LAMP. Please correct me if you have better info, it's been a few months since I read about these.

Edited by DrTuner

36 minutes ago, Redline said:

Great!  No more excuses mass testing is too expensive~test everyone and quarantine those positive.

There will be excuses, gotta keep that zero cherry intact. However, at least there now is a real chance of having the reserve capacity for when ???? hits the fan.

I don't care about their BS propaganda if the actual system works. Let them circle jerk if it makes the usurpers happy.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Just further proof that Thailand has some of the top Scientists and Doctors in the world.

Some of the doctors are top notch, usually did their studies abroad. IIRC Dr Plipat fom DDC did his Ph.D in US, Stanford? 

In this case however it's not clear if they got the research from outside, probably. Does not matter, this is a good development.

Could be a co-op or license of the one that was previously in this thread, https://www.technologynetworks.com/immunology/product-news/sars-cov-2-rapid-colorimetric-lamp-assay-kit-enables-visual-detection-of-novel-coronavirus-337353

This is why I'm happy to see this one:

"RT-qPCR, the predominant nucleic acid amplification technology, requires a laboratory with sophisticated equipment, and can take hours to produce a readout," said Steven Chiu, Product Marketing Manager, DNA Amplification at NEB. "With the SARS-CoV-2 Rapid Colorimetric LAMP Assay Kit, all you need is a simple heat source and 30 minutes to visually detect amplification of SARS CoV-2 RNA. This assay thus has the potential to be very beneficial in a low-resource or point-of-care setting."

LAMP can be used in the field.

EDIT: Plipat did his Ph.D at UCLA. https://pmac2018.com/site/speaker/details/1551

Edited by DrTuner

I would be very excited if there is an accurate test that could be performed with results within 24 hours that was 95% accurate. This will greatly reduce the need of quarantine.

What is the accuracy of the current test? It seems people tested negative one week and then test positive a week later. What is the probability of someone getting the virus during that one week period causing the 2nd positive result?

100 Thai people tested. 97 correctly reported negative. 3 incorrectly reported positive when actually negative. 

to verify the ability of the new check to detect the virus, there needs to be an alternative way to determine the status of the person also. But since the current check seems so flawed, how are they determining who is positive?

13 minutes ago, Deli said:

So, let's go. Open the borders, have everybody tested (now, as it is so cheap and fast ) and let's get back to the real normal.

Did I miss anything ?

Yeah. It's not any more accurate than PCR, will show negative in the early stages of infection. Quarantine is still needed.

Tests SHOULD be the way to get rid of the infamous quarantine, no ?

AND to restore the international flights (without last minute ban like we see).

- Test 15 days before departure

- Test on arrival. PERIOD. (ha ha... yep 15 days period...)

NO F. QUARANTINE. And no other certificate or requirement (and of course no mandatory assurance)

- Test 1 or 2 weeks after for the ambiant paranoia.

Would be correct, and make the tourism/travel/investors business restart.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sambotte said:

Tests SHOULD be the way to get rid of the infamous quarantine, no ?

AND to restore the international flights (without last minute ban like we see).

- Test 15 days before departure

- Test on arrival. PERIOD. (ha ha... yep 15 days period...)

NO F. QUARANTINE. And no other certificate or requirement (and of course no mandatory assurance)

- Test 1 or 2 weeks after for the ambiant paranoia.

Would be correct, and make the tourism/travel/investors business restart.

You will have to test travelers everyday. Which might work.

18 hours ago, thequietman said:

Yep, it says 'Hab'  & 'No hab'

I would imagine 'No hab' would be the most popular response given. ????

There will probably 1 kit for farangs and one for Thais.

No doubt what the farang kit will come up with!

6 hours ago, coolsumma said:

“Up to 97% accuracy”.... is this like sales in Thailand that say up to 80% off.... and in reality 1 item is 80% off (maybe a box of tissues) and everything else is 10% off ?? 
This sounds misleading...

It's the way medical tests are evaluated. One must also take into account the Bayesian theorem, which is why MoPH used to require two confirmations:

• Like 1