This means amnesty till 26 september?

https://www.thephuketnews.com/foreigners-can-apply-for-visa-extensions-after-july-31-76716.php

I also read the same news at some other news too.. so this means we get another amnesty till sep 26?

If i understood correctly its saying this time we need to apply for some kind of visa extension after july 31? Or again free visa till sep 26?

Edited by problemfarang

Just now, ubonjoe said:

No difference between the new one and the existing one.

No need to apply for an extension until near the end of it if you have not left the country.

Discussed already in other topics here and in the news forum.

Ohh ok didnt see that sorry.

So we got it. Till september 26. Great

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No need to apply for an extension until near the end of it if you have not left the country.

Joe - I'm still not clear, but do you know how the 60 day family ext works on a non 0? Assuming this 26/9 date is correct, the last stamp date I have is 10th June, so will immigration give me another 60 days from the 26th Sept regardless of when I go there, or 60 days from the date that I do go?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, problemfarang said:

Agreed. I think the new extensions will start from 26 september but you must apply before 26.. 

I am thinking they will start from the date you apply. But I could be wrong. That's how it normally works. I can tell you right now however that the days before September 26th will once again be super busy at Immigration.

• Like 1

Surely if you get until the 26th September to get a new visa then most people in the right mind would look to maximise the ‘free days’ they have been given... because as mentioned above somewhere, your visa starts form the day you apply... 

meaning 25th 26th will be busy as hell... might be silly for some people to leave it until last minute you might say but enough people do it.. dare I say 90% of people

• Like 2

They could decide to let everybody start from 26th September, because the current regulation that it starts from the day people apply is obviously problematic when people wait until the last day to apply for an extension.

But they could also decide to choose any other fixed date, this would also solve the aforementioned problem. For example let every extension start from 1st August or 1st September, this would force people to leave earlier. (only exception would have to be people who can't leave)

Let's see what they announce next week ????

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

I would never stay with an amnesty, good that I have an ed visa and can live without have to worry to leave the country. What foreigners will do after the amnesty will ends? They will have to leave and I think it will be very difficult to come back in Thailand again. Too many restrictions

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

I would never stay with an amnesty, good that I have an ed visa and can live without have to worry to leave the country. What foreigners will do after the amnesty will ends? They will have to leave and I think it will be very difficult to come back in Thailand again. Too many restrictions

They can change it at some point during the amnesty, or may find some way to get an extension while they are trying to get where they need to be, but can't get to now.

• Like 2

The Amnesty is good to have until borders to Laos or Malaysia open up before September 26 so that way they can go to the Thai Embassy and apply for another tourist visa to re-enter Thailand with.  If the Amnesty ends and the borders are shut, then there is no where else to go.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, acenase said:

The Amnesty is good to have until borders to Laos or Malaysia open up before September 26 so that way they can go to the Thai Embassy and apply for another tourist visa to re-enter Thailand with.  If the Amnesty ends and the borders are shut, then there is no where else to go.

If you are a stateless person, there are organisations you can contact who may be able to help.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Disparate Dan said:

Has anyone worked out why "26th"? It's a Saturday (my local IO is closed then) and not a convenient or obvious 'end-date'.

It just seems an odd choice. Surely 30th would be more logical?

Do you mean you can enjoy/relax for few more days until 30/Sep then more logical for you? ????

To me, even if extension to 26/Sep officially confirmed. Whoever need to sort out/apply their valid visa by normal or provide proof of excuse shouldn't wait until the last few days of the given date. 

Extension again and continuing less income for immg and agents like past few months. Do you think logic for them? ????

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jackcwba said:

Surely if you get until the 26th September to get a new visa then most people in the right mind would look to maximise the ‘free days’ they have been given... because as mentioned above somewhere, your visa starts form the day you apply... 

meaning 25th 26th will be busy as hell... might be silly for some people to leave it until last minute you might say but enough people do it.. dare I say 90% of people

Up until now, they've been starting it on the date of application. Might be silly/risky to go on the 25th of September, but waiting until Sep 18 or 20 would make sense. That gives you 60 days from that date so takes you until November. That's the way I intend to do it, but will wait until Tuesday when an official announcement is made to be 100% sure.

• Like 2

Keyser

I got a 60 day extension on 8th July as i did not want to wait on the amnesty outcome but they only allowed 60 days from the day i submitted not from 31st July. So i will need to apply for my Non O based on marriage in late August with the required documents which is no problem . My submission was at CW Bangkok.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stoicccc said:

has anyone gotten non-o based on thai spouse 1-year extension while on amnesty? (60d extension already used)

I did, back in June, in Chiang Mai. Had already used up the 60 day extension and was on amnesty

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/18/2020 at 4:40 PM, ubonjoe said:

I think the situations might be be different actually. Further clarification should follow the official announcement on Tuesday, I guess.

The situation until July 31 has been being referred to as an "amnesty", which I would submit, is actually a misnomer, since the legal lengths of stay were extended to July 31st, and since people covered under the visa extension program are staying legally, they do not need amnesty. Encyclopedia Britannica: "Amnesty, in criminal law, sovereign act of oblivion or forgetfulness (from Greek amnēsia) for past acts, granted by a government to persons who have been guilty of crimes."

It sounds like what is happening now might be different, and actually may be a true "amnesty". For example:

<removed>

The nuance turns on the phrase "after their visas expire on July 31st".  If they are saying that the visas/lengths of stay are going to expire on July 31st, but they will not prosecute people who stay beyond that and leave before September 26th, then this would be a true amnesty period and not the same as the current period of time.

The difference could be important, not just semantic, because, for example, if one's legal length of stay expires on 7/31 and technically their status becomes an overstay period, it may no longer be possible to do things like apply to extend certain visa types.

The representative in this BKK post article also indicated that until 9/26, people could apply for a 30-day extension, which it was stated, would be granted on a case by case basis, based on whether or not the individual proved that they are in fact actually not able to travel home due to COVID. It was not mentioned that other forms of extension could be applied for, and it was also clear in the article that these were based on literally being not able to travel home and being able to convince immigration of this.

More clarification should follow the official announcements on Tuesday, I think.

Edited by ubonjoe
removed link to a quote of Bangkok Post (forum rule)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, otissp said:

I think the situations might be be different actually. Further clarification should follow the official announcement on Tuesday, I guess.

The situation until July 31 has been being referred to as an "amnesty", which I would submit, is actually a misnomer, since the legal lengths of stay were extended to July 31st, and since people covered under the visa extension program are staying legally, they do not need amnesty. Encyclopedia Britannica: "Amnesty, in criminal law, sovereign act of oblivion or forgetfulness (from Greek amnēsia) for past acts, granted by a government to persons who have been guilty of crimes."

It sounds like what is happening now might be different, and actually may be a true "amnesty". For example:

<removed>

The nuance turns on the phrase "after their visas expire on July 31st".  If they are saying that the visas/lengths of stay are going to expire on July 31st, but they will not prosecute people who stay beyond that and leave before September 26th, then this would be a true amnesty period and not the same as the current period of time.

The difference could be important, not just semantic, because, for example, if one's legal length of stay expires on 7/31 and technically their status becomes an overstay period, it may no longer be possible to do things like apply to extend certain visa types.

The representative in this BKK post article also indicated that until 9/26, people could apply for a 30-day extension, which it was stated, would be granted on a case by case basis, based on whether or not the individual proved that they are in fact actually not able to travel home due to COVID. It was not mentioned that other forms of extension could be applied for, and it was also clear in the article that these were based on literally being not able to travel home and being able to convince immigration of this.

More clarification should follow the official announcements on Tuesday, I think.

Very good analysis. It might be that everyone with a 60 days extension still in hand might be making all the wrong assumptions right now.

But the only thing we can do is wait and hopefully get some clarification on Tuesday. If not, then definitely at the local immigration office after that.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Amnesty is just a common term that has been used and people seem to understand. "Automatic extension" is better.

I agree. The term ought to be either "automatic extension" or "grace period", depending on what the actual meaning is.