AIS users - keeping number & validity period?

dastott

This was several years ago but I lost my number when I had plenty of money and time left. Apparently you have to USE the phone once in a while.  Others may say nay, but I had the same number from 2006 through 2013 (I think), and had to go back to the U.S. for three years on a temporary project.  I kept my number valid, I thought, by having a friend top me off at 200 baht I believe every second month.  At any rate, since I didn't actually use the phone they took my number (AIS), and I had to get a new one.  Things may have changed but double check whatever you do and keep checking it.

• Thanks 1

Did anyone try recharging 20THB on an AIS Prepaid SIM for whatever its worth and checked the result. With each 20THB mine gets 30 days up to a maximum of 12 months.

(after all, 20THB will not break the Camels back! ????)

More

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, ravip said:

Did anyone try recharging 20THB on an AIS Prepaid SIM for whatever its worth and checked the result. With each 20THB mine gets 30 days up to a maximum of 12 months.

More

Does anyone read the OP before posting?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, ravip said:

More

it's not 20 tb it's 10 thb + 2 baht service, so 12 thb, and i do it since 10 years...

1 hour ago, SePl said:

it's not 20 tb it's 10 thb + 2 baht service, so 12 thb, and i do it since 10 years...

Some bank apps does not allow 10 THB transfer (minimum amount). Hence I do 20THB

Sorry, my bad.

Edited by ravip
  • Haha 1

On 7/24/2020 at 12:55 PM, ravip said:

Sorry, I did not get your point!

Was I off the subject of the OP?

Yes. The OP wanted to know if his SIM was valid until the date stated, not how to extend. Not useful advice to use a Boontherm device to extend, if he will likely be outside the country at that time. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Yes. The OP wanted to know if his SIM was valid until the date stated, not how to extend. Not useful advice to use a Boontherm device to extend, if he will likely be outside the country at that time. 

1.jpg

Edited by ravip

OP here. Just a follow up for future reference.

I went into an AIS service center  (6th floor Terminal 21 on Sukhumvit). The staff spoke excellent English and set up roaming very promptly. They advised me to wait until just before my flight before canceling the monthly data package as it would take effect immediately.

So, the next day I called 1175 from the airport, waited a short time on hold, and then an operator cancelled my package. However, she said the cancellation would take effect from the end of my monthly package (2 days later in my case).  She confirmed that receiving SMS is free overseas but receiving calls overseas will incur a charge from my existing balance.  Both the operator and the AIS service center confirmed that my number will remain valid until the end of its validity period (next year in my case).

Thanks for all the advice, and I hope this helps someone else. Cheers!

2 hours ago, dastott said:

OP here. Just a follow up for future reference.

I went into an AIS service center  (6th floor Terminal 21 on Sukhumvit). The staff spoke excellent English and set up roaming very promptly. They advised me to wait until just before my flight before canceling the monthly data package as it would take effect immediately.

So, the next day I called 1175 from the airport, waited a short time on hold, and then an operator cancelled my package. However, she said the cancellation would take effect from the end of my monthly package (2 days later in my case).  She confirmed that receiving SMS is free overseas but receiving calls overseas will incur a charge from my existing balance.  Both the operator and the AIS service center confirmed that my number will remain valid until the end of its validity period (next year in my case).

Thanks for all the advice, and I hope this helps someone else. Cheers!

How is/was the travel experience? Any different from pre-COVID-19?