Video: Trucker says he was in the right - Belgian "big biker" ends up in hospital

webfact

Video: Trucker says he was in the right - Belgian "big biker" ends up in hospital

5pm_VI.jpg

video screenshot

Thai TV Channel 3 reported on an accident on Saturday evening on the Buriram to Sateuk Road in Muang district of Buriram in Thailand's north east. 

A six wheel dump truck carrying earth was crossing the four lane road to enter a PTT gas station. 

The front fender had bloodstains and damage on the left. 

Nearby was 58 year old Christian from Belgium who was severely injured. 

He had a bloodied face and smashed up left leg.

He had been riding a black Kawasaki Ninja. 

The truck driver, Anan, 27, said that the foreigner was in the wrong, and he was driving properly. 

Another witness said that the foreigner had overtaken him at speed then the accident occurred in the blink of an eye. 

Muang Buriram police are investigating. 

Source: Channel 3

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-20

12 minutes ago, innosiem said:

but nobody can comment on blame for sure without any cam footage
just a reminder get a cam whether car or bike
and make sure it films both ways

No theft of cams mounted on bikes?

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, taninthai said:

The Thai guy that drove his car into the side of mine got Straight out and admitted his fault????????????go easy on the huge generalisations.

Which is  ok until later they may change their  minds.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, innosiem said:

looking at the video, it looks like he was pulling into gas station as the accident happened
doesn't sound or look straight forward but without cam footage, who knows????‍♂️

but the truck hit the bike from behind
in many countries this would automatically be the driver that hit from behinds fault

the truck driver says he crossed 4 lanes - only possible from the far side

not sure how you work out the truck rear ended the motorbike

• Like 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

He had been riding a black Kawasaki Ninja. 

I don't think Kawa Ninjas come with a tall touring wind screen. Looks like a Versys to me which is a touring bike, a bit more likely than a sport bike also given that the guy was 58.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Yes of course the truck driver was driving properly.????????????????

Had to be the farang in the wrong, when have you ever heard a Thai admit they were wrong?

That racist post isn't really helping. I've whitnessed plenty admiting wrong. Of course most people wont admit guilt in accidents. It's normal around the world.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, innosiem said:

no idea what you are talking about.......
does the report state, the Belgian complained of his cam being stolen?
i didn't see that part

he was too busy groaning "NO,No, nooo" - at the attendants shovelling him onto the red plastic board

15 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

I'm a biker so are you aiming that at me? Stupid ignorant people should be very quite as they themselves may have an accident by talking utter <deleted> to the wrong person. I rode bikes since I was 17, been to many bike rallies where I would meet many professional people doctors, lawyers business men like myself and women. People from all walks of life. The best of the best and most trustworthy of people. I also rode in thailand for many years and the thai guys I new and rode with all came from good families and well educated good jobs and or good businesses. You have no idea what you are talking about. Thai roads are deadly for bikers and every other kind of motorist. My experience is that truck, bus and mini van drivers are some of the worst in the world.

Good For You.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smedly said:

the truck driver says he crossed 4 lanes - only possible from the far side

not sure how you work out the truck rear ended the motorbike

"was crossing the four lane road to" is not exactly the same as "crossed four lanes"
so this might be lost in translation or reporters understanding or style of writing or your interpretation.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Another witness said that the foreigner had overtaken him at speed then the accident occurred in the blink of an eye

this implies they were both travelling in the same direction

0t2.png.8406d1e70cd99d4417c4cb683216e06c.png

This picture shows the truck hit the bike, if the bike was travelling in the same direction as the truck and the bike had just overtook the truck
then the bike must have been in front of the truck and the truck must have been behind the bike
resulting in a "rear end collision" at impact

0t1.png.b979d9f4681fde659bf09a5a426462e5.png

This picture indicates the driver was pulling into the Gas station on the left,
unless he was doing a u-turn into the gas station which would seem unlikely but......TiT
the angle does not look like he was turning left, most would drive in through the exit,
and that would be a mighty fine u-turn by Thailands standards

i am not trying to imply who was to blame
the biker could have broke too soon
i literally had this happen last week driving through the mountains
the rider was weaving lane to lane going up the hills
he pulled right in front of me on a bend and slowed down as i am accelerating up the hill
to which i had to slam on the breaks
as he was just a few inches in front when he switched lanes

Edited by innosiem
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, innosiem said:

this implies they were both travelling in the same direction

A misunderstanding, it was "another whitness" that was overtaken by the motorcyclist, not the truck. So the rest of the conclusions which are based on this are unfortunately wrong.

BTW the truck doesn't suddenly stop at the moment of the collision so you can't tell by the pictures much. What was said was that he was crossing the road, not just changing lanes.

6 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

A misunderstanding, it was "another whitness" that was overtaken by the motorcyclist, not the truck. So the rest of the conclusions which are based on this are unfortunately wrong.

BTW the truck doesn't suddenly stop at the moment of the collision so you can't tell by the pictures much. What was said was that he was crossing the road, not just changing lanes.

ok rephrase that, thanks @eisfeld
truck was turning in
maybe angle looks funny as after impact

so likely bike may have gone at speed
truck still in wrong if crossing onto other side of road before safe to do so

he might have done the usually poke his nose out that bit too much which is very common here

It was always drummed into us, in the UK, as drivers/bike riders not to accept liability or express regret or anything that appeared to anyone that we accepted fault or blame in any collision. We were told it could well influence any insurance claim should that be proven to be the case. Whoever was at fault here, the Police will no doubt sort it out.