Video: Trucker says he was in the right - Belgian "big biker" ends up in hospital

webfact

14 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Size matters, the MC rider bet and lost. This is the problem with riding too fast, you can't make corrections fast enough.

a definite assessment isnt possible since theres no video,

but it sounds to be the biker was only betting that the trucker wouldnt cut him.

the issue is that many here dont understand right of way,

the trucker being ahead thought that gave him right of way in all four lanes,

maybe he think making a signal gave him right of way to cut the biker ?

22 hours ago, colinneil said:

Yes of course the truck driver was driving properly.????????????????

Had to be the farang in the wrong, when have you ever heard a Thai admit they were wrong?

Sure have. Most times I get bumped into they admit they are wrong. Perhaps you wear your attitude so visibly they react to that...

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Which muppet told you that? Dig below the surface of the bike accident stats and you'll see a pattern of early morning commuters and after-work riders rushing home. The vast majority are scooter riders on local rides riding with scant attention added to their severe lack of skills and abject lack of road strategy.

People who take riding bikes seriously don't get painted with the same brush, especially by people who can't be arsed to understand what they are talking about.

14 hours ago, rwill said:

No matter whose fault it is if you enjoy living it is best not to ride motorbikes in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, scammed said:

but it sounds to be the biker was only betting that the trucker wouldnt cut him.

Understood, I'm only saying being in the right doesn't stop the injuries.

4 hours ago, scammed said:

16 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Understood, I'm only saying being in the right doesn't stop the injuries.

I always thought the rule do not turn in front of oncoming traffic applied. I am always extra careful at those u turns the vehicles keep nudging way around you gotta treat everyone on roads as a potentially road rule breakers because most of them are.

On 7/20/2020 at 10:15 PM, DualSportBiker said:

People who take riding bikes seriously don't get painted with the same brush, especially by people who can't be arsed to understand what they are talking about.

That's what they all say.  Right up until they get creamed.  It's not just your driving skills on test.  It's everyone around you.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, impulse said:

That's what they all say.  Right up until they get creamed.  It's not just your driving skills on test.  It's everyone around you.

A good rider is aware of his surroundings and knows what unknowns there are and takes those into his calculations and behaviour. That being said, there are no guarantees, you can just influence some factors in the equation but there is always randomness that'll work against you.

It's a fine line between enabling joy and stiffling paranoia.

On 7/20/2020 at 12:31 PM, colinneil said:

Did i say the truck driver was wrong? No, you are missing the point of my post.

The point i was making was when have you ever known a Thai admit they were wrong.

I was not blaming the truck driver, or the farang.

Well I actually know a few who do admit that they do things wrong at times ....  I also know many westerners who never admit to anything ....

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 11:55 AM, JimmyJ said:

No theft of cams mounted on bikes?

If he had a cam it may well have been mounted on his helmet.

Edited by billd766
New computer and wireless keyboard and mouse

On 7/25/2020 at 6:34 PM, eisfeld said:

A good rider is aware of his surroundings and knows what unknowns there are and takes those into his calculations and behaviour. That being said, there are no guarantees, you can just influence some factors in the equation but there is always randomness that'll work against you.

It's a fine line between enabling joy and stiffling paranoia.

sometimes, it matter not in the slightest how good you are when you are cut off just like that on a whim

1 hour ago, scammed said:

sometimes, it matter not in the slightest how good you are when you are cut off just like that on a whim

I think it can very well matter in nearly all cases. Your reaction and reaction times can make the difference between life and death, literally. Also the way you ride can prevent you from getting into situations that are too full of uncontrolled risk. Say overtaking in a blind corner. Approachung a u-turn fast and close where you can't see the oncoming traffic because a truck blocks your view etc. But as I said, there are no guarantees.

On 7/20/2020 at 12:11 PM, bodga said:

Like almost all Thai drivers they havent a  clue, asked  my Wife yesterday what a RED TRIANGLE  road sign meant..........she didnt know, I told her it  meant "give  way", she said why dont they just put "slow" then, I said  because it does  not mean slow.

Your wife illiterate? 

Most Thai drivers (and kids) know the give way/hai tang sign. Sure.

i think she ask you what the “hai tang” sign meant, you not know same. 

Did you ask RED TRIANGLE Thai or English? 

I alwaysnthink be dangerous if foreigner can not read road safety sign.

C73305AF-7604-4C7A-8D54-451DA2E4A79F.jpeg

0BE23A79-75FD-437B-B542-4BED2D0F6FC9.png

B12261FA-414E-4F22-B7EB-0371EFCD838B.png

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

I think it can very well matter in nearly all cases. Your reaction and reaction times can make the difference between life and death, literally. Also the way you ride can prevent you from getting into situations that are too full of uncontrolled risk. Say overtaking in a blind corner. Approachung a u-turn fast and close where you can't see the oncoming traffic because a truck blocks your view etc. But as I said, there are no guarantees.

i dont think you have a better reaction time then me, literally,

and im talking about driving slow following the flow in my line,

all the delusions means nothing at all if someone cuts you off just like that,

because they couldnt see your bike behind the car in front of you

and didnt wait to see if it was clear

Edited by scammed

1 hour ago, scammed said:

i dont think you have a better reaction time then me, literally,

and im talking about driving slow following the flow in my line,

all the delusions means nothing at all if someone cuts you off just like that,

because they couldnt see your bike behind the car in front of you

and didnt wait to see if it was clear

You don't know my reaction times so claiming either way on an online forum is simply ridicolous.

Someone not seeing you does not equal you not seeing them. Sorry but I feel this argument is not going anywhere productive.

Unfortunately the guy died, RIP. Too many end up like that and that's a sad fact.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

I alwaysnthink be dangerous if foreigner can not read road safety sign.

I agree. But I don't think one has to be able to read the letters in this case to know the meaning as a upside down red triangle is pretty much the same in most countries in that it means yield / give way.

Unfortunately there is still a lot of inconsistencies in the road signs ln Thai roads. I wish this was improved but it will be a tremendous amount of work. Here around Phuket I noticed at least 5 different variations of the sign that allows people to cross a red traffic light "when safe". Different shapes, sizes, colors and text (sometimes the meaning being unclear and you can just guess that's what they ment). All for the exact same thing. And then there are the the nonsensical speed limits. Take the big highway bound north to the airport for example. At some point the big highway has a speed limit of 60kph because there is a very slight bend. No one drives 60 so if you adhere to the limit it actually gets dangerous. The bend really doesn't warrant such a slowdown and to make it even better just after it it tells people to speed up to 80kph a few meters before a u-turn! That is actually a dangerous spot and *that's* where people should slow down but the signs tell you to do exactly the opposite. The Bypass Rd. in Phuket has a 50kph limit. Ridicolously low and most are driving close to twice as fast. A high ranking officer even said on the record that the signs mean be careful instead of a hard speed limit. Or another highway (not Phuket) where there were 2 signs. One saying drive 40 (but not the usual red circle, it was yellow) and then next to it a sign saying drive 60 when wet. Faster when wet?

My point is I've seen too many signs that are nonsensical for the given circumstances and I guess the vast majority of people ignore them. And ignoring them long enough makes you forget what their actual meaning is.

Heck there's a busy intersection here where people constantly drive over red in the wrong way right in front of a police box and no one ever gets stopped.

Rules of traffic are not followed much and enforcement is extremely low. I think nobody can argue otherwise. The traffic fatality numbers are the result.

To come back on topic: if a truck crosses 4 lanes to get all the way to the other side where there is no intersection then that's just negligent and super dangerous driving. He should first go in the direction of his side of the road, switch lanes there one by one, do a u-turn at the next safe opportunity, then switch on the other side lanes one by one and then turn into the gas station.

4 hours ago, eisfeld said:

You don't know my reaction times so claiming either way on an online forum is simply ridicolous.

Someone not seeing you does not equal you not seeing them. Sorry but I feel this argument is not going anywhere productive.

Unfortunately the guy died, RIP. Too many end up like that and that's a sad fact.

you think an oncoming trafficant cant cut your line with such timing that a crash is inevitable,

you are wrong about that, and it dont matter if the trafficant do it on purpose or not

18 hours ago, scammed said:

you think an oncoming trafficant cant cut your line with such timing that a crash is inevitable,

you are wrong about that, and it dont matter if the trafficant do it on purpose or not

No I don't think that, stop putting words in my mouth. I explicitely said the opposite and acknowledged there are situations that you can't predict or control.