Thai central bank says could be several years before tourist numbers normalise

webfact

11 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Why do I keep reading comparisons with Cambodia?

Cambodia will never be able to compete with Thailand on any meaningful level as it is too mired in corruption and now completely owned by the Chinese.

Thailand is experiencing the same issues as Cambodia. Corruption in Thailand is as bad as ever, the Military effectively controls all the levers of power. Both governments are de-facto dictatorships, although Hun Sen is far more entrenched than Prayut but he is catching up fast. The Chinese are the major power players in Cambodia with almost all the new development and almost total control over many tourism businesses in Siem Reap and S'ville. Chinese investment in Thailand is also substantial between both public and private. With the use of Thai nominees, it is vastly under-reported and growing rapidly.

While Thailand is far ahead of Cambodia, the danger is not that Cambodia catches up, rather that Thailand slides back. I feel that is a very real possibility.

21 hours ago, ExpatOne said:

Shame on them for protecting the health of Thai people! - That’s what you mean, right?

Nope, that's not what I mean!

What I mean is: shame on them for not even trying to save the lifes of millions, working in jobs, connected to the tourism- trade!

But I guess what you mean is: all hail the Thai- government for having only 50+ alleged deaths in 5 months of a virus, that otherwise killed hundreds, if not thousands!

...and by no means, has this anything to do with minimal testing numbers or just plain lies!

Right?!

• Like 1