How (relatively) safe are thai banks, and are there any guarantees for deposits?

6 hours ago, OJAS said:

Yep, let's just chill out and relax by simply going on overstay once our Thai bank has wobbled and our permission to stay has expired, right?

Right! I've been on the straight and narrow for so many decades that I've been itching to live a life of crime one more time before I reincarnate into a buffalo. Look, ma, I'm an outlaw! I'll find out how long I can evade the immigration police before they exile me to the miseries of Marin CA. What an adventure!

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 3:25 PM, OJAS said:

Yep, let's just chill out and relax by simply going on overstay once our Thai bank has wobbled and our permission to stay has expired, right?

I use an agent.  I was never going to have 800k of my money held to ransom, just to be able to live and spend my money here. 

If my Thai bank crashed tomorrow, all I would lose is what's left of this month's living expenses, plus a small balance. Nothing major.    

I would then use the ATM card from my home country bank and continue living here as normal.  No overstay.  No heavy loses.