Increase Of Jail Term For Drunk Drivers Proposed

george

Parole department chief to propose increase of jail term for drunk drivers

BANGKOK: -- The Parole Department chief Monday proposed that the law should be amended to increase jail term penalty for convicted drunk drivers.

Wanchai Rujanawong, the director-general of the Parole Department, said the penalty for drunk drivers should be increased from 3-month jail term to one year imprisonment, and a fine of Bt10,000 should be increased to Bt20,000.

He said most drunk drivers were exempted of jail term because the initial penalty was too light.

He said a total of 4,077 people were arrested for drunk driving during the Songkran holidays.

-- The Nation 2007-04-23

:o About time too. What about those who kill or maim while under the influence? Is there any time served now?

" a total of 4,077 people were arrested for drunk driving during the Songkran holidays "

the figures speak for themselves -presently I think they are supposed to serve three months-

but I doubt if nine-month difference will deter 4000 people from taking the risk? there doesn't seem to be any

real intention here to get really serious with these offenders ...................

In countries like the UK any fine and jail is only the immediate effect.

On top of that is loss of licence for extended period and the difficulty and expense of post conviction car insurance.

But licences and insurance in Thailand? A <deleted>' joke.

I wonder how many Farangs would get nicked at spot checks around the Kingdom, nearly every Farang I know who has a motorised form of Transport drinks and drives.

Then again, spot checks may be a good thing for Farangs, as most would not be willing to take a risk if they really thought they could not pay 500 Baht and carry on about their business.

Maybe the bribe will just go up to 1000 now, thing is, if a Farang is involved in an accident whilst over the top, that could be a criminal offence and deportation.

Maybe it would be a good thing to toughen up the drink driving laws. :o

I'd say take away their Driver's License, but then again, does anyone in Thailand actually have a License? I mean 90 percent of the Thai's I know drive without one. Anyway, here's my suggestion. Increasing the fine is great, but in the meantime, take away their Car, Truck or Motorcycle until the fine is paid. Give them 6 months to pay or have the car acutioned off. Oh yeah, while they are cracking down on this, maybe begin cracking down on overloaded Busses, Trucks, enforce Helmit and Seat Belt Laws, and basically other road violations like driving the wrong way, running red lights and speeding. It's not only drunk drivers that kill, but also the stupid people who don't observe the rules of the road.

Way to stereotype dude, it makes you gain a lot of respect on this forum. :o

Contrary to Maigo6's blatant racist attitude, not all foreigners drink nor drink and drive.

If the cops actually did their job, innocent lives would be saved. But that would require actually getting off their duffs and patrolling. Why is that that I can go out any day of the week at any time and watch people run red lights. now I don't know if these people have been drinking or if they're just stupid. Many seem to not even look at the potential disaster that could happen. The vast majority of these red-light-runners are not foreigners. Hey Maigo6, how many foreigners do you see riding three or four on a motorbike and none with helmets?

I'm all for stiff penalties, be they fines, imprisonment, both or whatever. Something needs to be done. I've had close calls and I don't drink!

Like I said, I don't drink at all, but thanks for putting us all in the same basket Maigo6. :D

Maigo6 said:

"nearly every Farang I know who has a motorised form of Transport drinks and drives."

Galong responded:

"Contrary to Maigo6's blatant racist attitude , ...."

didn't continue reading after that. Just LOL'ed.

Threads like this should have a "reasonable people need not post" warning.

Just out of curiosity , can anyone define what constitutes a "drunk driver" in Thailand ?

Legislation normally stipulates exceeding a limit on blood/alcohol level.

Do any of you know what that might be here ?

Also , whatever the penalty , is it the same if someone is marginally over this limit

or he/she is totally footless (damage to life/limb/property excluded).

Or do you not care ?

Is anybody who has a beer or two before getting behind the wheel to be burnt at

the stake.

Unlike somebody who drives with one hand holding a hand phone to their ear and

one eye on the DVD screen just below the air vent ?

Just for the record I drink but don't drive so ya boo sucks on that.

Way to stereotype dude, it makes you gain a lot of respect on this forum. :o

Contrary to Maigo6's blatant racist attitude, not all foreigners drink nor drink and drive.

Like I said, I don't drink at all, but thanks for putting us all in the same basket Maigo6. :D

Errrrrr......................... :D I'm a Farang, and nearly every Farang I know that has a car drinks and drives, the only ones I know who do not drink and drive are non drinkers.

You want me to lie and say most Farangs don't drink and drive just cos you don't ?

I'm getting pretty good at driving after a few glasses. It's a special skill.

It's true Chanchao, most Farangs I know do drink and drive, I have also done it, I think it's all down to more or less knowing that you will get away with it.

So I think that maybe stricter laws will be a good thing and make people think before they drink before they drive.

Including myself, and you, and all the other Farangs that drink and drive.

I look forward to the day when all the cars must be fitted with a breath alcohol ignition interlock device (BIID or IID) :o

That will ensure that every vehicle has a sober passenger to blow into the tester. Good excuse to take the kids to the pub.

Errrrrr......................... :D I'm a Farang, and nearly every Farang I know that has a car drinks and drives, the only ones I know who do not drink and drive are non drinkers.

You want me to lie and say most Farangs don't drink and drive just cos you don't ?

You're a foreigner? Hmmm... traitor? :o:bah::D

"the only ones I know who do not drink and drive are non drinkers." OK, I guess that's better than getting in a tuk tuk. Many of them seem tol like to beat up drunk foreigners! :D:bah:

Not every foreigner I know drinks and drives. I guess I hang out with a different caliber of foreigners. :D The word "most" is not really fair unless you've done an extensive, unbiased survey... which I doubt you've done brother.

No blood, no foul, but come on... not every foreigner is a drunk. Let's be fair to our own please.

"the only ones I know who do not drink and drive are non drinkers." In other words, everybody you know, who does drink, drives drunk? Maybe you know irresponsible people.

Many adult Americans don't drink (well over 25%, if I recall; I can find some stats). Are all Europeans heavy drinkers? All your politicians, priests, street sweepers, royalty, et al, and Al?

To clarify, I'm not complaining about anybody who goes down to the pub, has ONE drink, and drives home. It's the guy who drinks more than two that really bothers me.

You're a foreigner? Hmmm... traitor? :o:bah::D

I should have stated that I was English, and Yes, most of the English guys I know are drinkers, the rest are wimps..... :D

Also I should of stated that most of the English Guys I know are in Pattaya.........................need I say more ? :D

I will put on my asbestos suit now. :D