Thai Drivers License and Car Insurance - What is Required?

I am on a Retirement Visa and have a valid U.S. drivers license.  What steps do I have to go through to get a drivers license in Thailand.  Also, I am shopping for a car.  I understand it is a bit more complicated if I register the car in my name, but it is easy if I put it in my fiance's name who is Thai.  However, she does not drive so how would that impact getting car insurance.  Would I be better off jumping through the extra hoops to title the car in my name, or could I insure the car with me as the driver even though the car would be titled in her name.  

Your local Land Transport Dept can assist with the licence, thats that sorta thing they do.

Is it your Thai Fiance saying its easier to register car in her name ?............ I'd be showing her the kerb.

she can insure her new car in her name and name you as as a driver.

Edited by Don Mega

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

Your local Land Transport Dept can assist with the licence, thats that sorta thing they do.

Is it your Thai Fiance saying its easier to register car in her name ?............ I'd be showing her the kerb.

Don Mega
No, when I looked at cars today, the person selling the car said that I would need some items including certificate of residency but if a native Thai only needed Thai ID Card 

Just now, Thomas J said:

Don Mega
No, when I looked at cars today, the person selling the car said that I would need some items including certificate of residency but if a native Thai only needed Thai ID Card 

Ok yes there is some additional paper work a foreigner needs, its not difficult or expensive, if you buy the car in a Thai's name.... they own it not you,

Just go to your local Land Transport Office and apply.  You may not even have to take the test since you have a US drivers license....just have to watch the 45 minute video and take the easy eye/physical test.   You will probably have to prove you are living in Thailand but your passport with retirement visa/extension of stay will provide that proof and the the Land Transport Office may require a residence certificate that you get from your immigration office.

Put the car in "your" name....other than maybe once again needing to provide a residence certificate it's easy.

If the fiance is saying it's hard to put the car in your name; better to have it in her name then "beware."