Steps required to enter Thailand

webfact

As of today to leave Thailand one needs a health insurance policy with a Covid 19 inclusion to the sum of ฿100,000. To re-enter one needs a health insurance policy with a Covid 19 inclusion to the sum of $100,000, which is in excess of ฿3,000,000. Go Figure. The whole situation is going from "The Sublime to the Ridiculous". With people in authority pulling numbers out of hats. Some departments wish to get the economy back on track, (building & construction are reliant on local foreign labour) whilst others are intent on making it as difficult as possible for foreigners to gain entry. TIT.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Foreigners need a certificate of Insurance stating Covid-19 Cover up to at least US$100,000 

This is one of the documents required to obtain the Certificate of Entry issued by your local Thai Embassy. 

Note: The Medical Insurance which covers Covid-19 is a single policy.

But, I suppose you could hold your regular health insurance and also obtain travel insurance (if you can find one) which would provide you with a Certificate of Cover stating Cover for Covid-19 up to US$100,000

If you or your Son are Thai this insurance is not required. 

I have an Aetna family package health insurance and they told me my family are covered for Covid-19. It doesn't say anything in the policy about Covid-19 however when i asked about this $100,000 cover requirement they said it will be issued upon request. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Cali farong said:

I’ve seen comments that said that this insurance is unavailable.

has anyone been able to find in the U S ?

It seems to only be available over here in Thailand at a price , you will be very lucky if a company outside Thailand as insurance which covers covid -19.

• Like 1

the process is quite simple, but the cost of the process is impossible, one way flight alone from sydney using Qatar has been quoted at BT 339.885 ($AU 16,990) makes the financial burden far to excessive. Then there is the cost of insurance, quarantine and return flights in a few months time.......thankfully we have a strong family and plenty of support.

18 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Anybody who's dealed with immigration knows what this means. A mountain of paperwork or a brown letter lubricant.

Or a quick pass without insurance if you happen to be a valuable migrant worker needed to build infrastructure that the un-employed are to lazy to do.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, YetAnother said:

quite helpful; very specific

Yes, I thought the same when I read it. In other words in addition to list given there could be a whole mountain of other requirements that one won't know about until the application is made. Convenient loop hole for them to apply this & that on a case by case application just to increase the amount of confusion for applicants. Very helpful I'm sure.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Anybody who's dealed with immigration knows what this means. A mountain of paperwork or a brown letter lubricant.

Most people who have "dealt" with immigration and learned how to navigate the system know how to spell in their native language. Most people who have made a point of learning anything about immigration instead of complaining about it will have little problem with the new rules. More forms, more paperwork? So what. Welcome to the real world. Unfortunately, some people will always be confused and befuddled and otherwise unable to navigate the quirks of Thai immigration. I have "dealt" with immigration and all their quirks over 8 years and currently have a non O retirement visa, having converted from 6 month tourist, to six month non O, to non O retirement, over the course of about 2 months. I don't see anything terribly prohibitive in the new rules, I have used the "fit to fly" certificates in the past, proof of residency amounts in my case to providing a long term rental apartment lease as well as bank accounts in my name, proof of income if need be although all of that redundant info is already on record with my visa renewals and 90 day reporting. They suggest contacting the Thai consulate with questions, and that is good advice as to how to clarify the process for anyone who has trouble understanding it. The last step for anyone who still needs help is to contact directly the office you will first encounter, or the closest immigration office, such as Chaengwatthana in Bangkok, and go over everything within the last two weeks before departure. These rules are likely to change or be modified and clarified over a period of months, so expect that. Most Thai employees are eager and happy to help, long as they can speak good enough English. I found a reasonable minimum health insurance plan through LUMA, Thailand, lumahealth.com +66 2 665 3618, agent  Nuttarut Kitpowsong [email protected] which amounts to 15,000 ThB per year. I am attaching the coverage for "plan 1" converted to appx dollars, and a copy of the fit to fly certificate. 

Thai insurance coverage 18 in .png

medical-certificate.jpg

• Like 1

Just my little assessment on the ASQ costs that most think is unreasonable. The cost quoted included two covid-19 tests with the going rate being 5000 baht each. Twice a day visit by nurses would have a cost. Three meals a day delivered to your room. Extra costs incurred by the hotel to meet strict requirements laid out by the health ministry. All of this really makes the 15 day stay fairly reasonable. I am in ASQ right now so speaking from experience not hearsay.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, agood1963 said:

It seems to only be available over here in Thailand at a price , you will be very lucky if a company outside Thailand as insurance which covers covid -19.

So why would any one want to return to Thailand under these conditions. I for one won’t be returning until a democratic election is held according to international standards and covid vaccines are available. Looks like I nY never return to my house in Issan 

• Like 1

To many hoops to go thru now to go there.Travel insurance is available if you are allowed to go there.if the gov says yes then insurance allow you to get there.What is the Quarantine  thing u got to book a 2 week stay in a what they say u stay in.that could be  expensive too,I will wait until the end of the year and see what happens.I hope it will be a lot easier Nov or Dec

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Cali farong said:

A friend of mine in the US trying to get back did say he’d found some insurer that would provide it. The premium they wanted was $230/month for each month of stay.

The Thai government is about 40 years behind governments of the western world when it comes to public sector administration. And it is not aware of the problem. No idea.

Most modern countries are operating on post-New Public Management principles. Where the government treats its citizens with respect and tries to give them good service.

The Thai government isn't even aware that New Public Management exists.

Edited by Ketyo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wavel said:

Your Medical Insurance must have a Covid 19 Inclusion within the policy.

Are you sure about this? Policies issued prior to COVID-19's existence would not have any way of specifically including it and health insurers are not issuing endorsements to confirm such.

Unless there are sub-limits, specific perils/illnesses are rarely stated within a policy wording. A letter of confirmation from the insurers would surely suffice. In general, if it isn't excluded then it is included.

17 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

According to the above "non-Thais who have been permitted to reside in Thailand" are given a shot at getting into the country.

I'm guessing that the definition they will use for residence is more onerous than the ThaiRev (thai tax authority) test of residence - "an individual is regarded as a tax resident if he/she resides in Thailand at one or more times for an aggregate period of 180 days or more in any tax year" (PwC Thailand Tax Booklet)

Were tax residence to be acceptable I don't doubt there are many falang out there 'stranded abroad' who normally live here full-time (indeed I have two mates in that situation) some of whom would be prepared to meet the financial and time burdens of returning and reoccupying the houses they have kept financed for the last 4 months.

I'm guessing the true acceptable test of residence is more akin to Permanent Residence. Anyone know?

In this instance it only means permanent resident.

Having a blue or white book showing this.

Nothing else qualifies.

FB_IMG_1593603241584.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bhawana said:

If im travelling with my son for his admission in school to we have to do medical insurance plus covid 19 insurance equal to 100000 usd$ still or just medical insurance will do?

All insurance coverage must quantify at least $100,000 USD covid19 insurance coverage. 

15 hours ago, Anna Rak said:

They have omitted any other hoops we want you to jump through. Just don't spend one (1) penny going until they remove the stupid restrictions. ????

Example of the paperwork for two people to get back.

Plus CoE, plus covid19 test not more than 72hours before flight. 

Plus medical certificate fit to fly..

You have to book a flight yourself, then the Embassy will advise you of a repatriation flight that you can get on, and date. 

NOT the flight you booked.

You then have to select and pay for ASQ 15 days in a hotel.

Unless Thai.

Thais don't need the covid19 test either,  and you will be traveling on a flight possibly with 70% Thai people. 

You get covid19 tested on arrival at Survanabhumi and day 11 in the ASQ.

Temperature checks daily. 

Cannot leave the facility. 

My first calculation of the costs was 130,000 from Australia. 

I'm on a retirement visa Non O, but not married to my partner of 7 years..

Like 10s of thousands of people all around the world are...????

FB_IMG_1595324222356.jpg

Edited by dallen52
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Bhawana said:

I hope we dont have to stay again in phuket for quarantine. This is so mind boggling.

You can quarantine in Phuket. 

Some hotels offer a survanabhumi to Phuket transfer. 

Can be up to 20,000 for 4 people in a private van.

15 hours ago, Cali farong said:

I am waiting in SoCal for the August flights.  The flaming hoops you have to jump through are daunting and require burst of activity once you get a seat on a repatriation flight.  I had to purchase extra health insurance for Thailand because my US policy is one that only shows you what it does not cover, not specifically what it does cover so you can't get show that it covers COVID-19 per se.  Comes out to about $300/month at 62yrs old and can be cancelled at any time.

8 hours ago, Lingba said:

so I wonder..If I and my Thai wife and our daughter (she has Thai citizenship)..all want to come back...can we self quaranteine at our home or must we all stay at this special site?

It was accepted. 

I was planning on going to the village. 

BUT after a few indiscretions, it's now only a government facility or ASQ. And you have to pay.