Tourism industry expected to get Bt6.8-billion boost this weekend

rooster59

19 hours ago, marin said:

Excuse me the Thai's are not all poor. There are 15 to 20 million credit cards issued to Thai's at this time. Then another 30 million debit cards.  You really should wake up to the real world here in the LOS.

I remember when the government had a stimulus program to encourage Thais to buy cars. Many cars came on the market as Thais could not afford to keep them. I think there was a similar motorbike promo w the same results if not mistaken.

The ability to charge doesn't isn't always matched by the ability to pay. 

Financial acuity is not universal. Even some Americans believe if they have checks they have money to spend.

15 minutes ago, elgenon said:

I remember when the government had a stimulus program to encourage Thais to buy cars. Many cars came on the market as Thais could not afford to keep them. I think there was a similar motorbike promo w the same results if not mistaken.

The ability to charge doesn't isn't always matched by the ability to pay. 

Financial acuity is not universal. Even some Americans believe if they have checks they have money to spend.

I remember this with the stimulus program to encourage Thais to buy cars too. At the moment I help my ex that she is able to continue to pay back the credit for such a car. 

6 minutes ago, Oldie said:

I remember this with the stimulus program to encourage Thais to buy cars too. At the moment I help my ex that she is able to continue to pay back the credit for such a car. 

You are a good man. No wonder you remember. 555 Not everyone has/had a savior like you.

20 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

people have to have actual cash to spend in order to travel.   Where is that coming from (other than savings)?   

Obviously you seem to think that everyone in Thailand is living in a deprived area and out of work. Believe it or not, not everyone works in the tourist sector which is not the largest employer in Thailand, excluding the government, tourism is 4th at 6%, about half of the number employed in the auto sector. Life did not come to a full stop over the virus, many continued to work and some the factories around here had a facelift.

We are going down to Krabi end of August and several of the hotels were sold out, mainly in the higher price range as people took advantage of the government incentives.

12 hours ago, Dialemco said:

Long weekends normally do not help economy but to the contrary. Hotel subsides help those in least need.

You are perfectly free to believe that people going away and spending money in their leisure time does not provide work for others.

Fortunately your beliefs are irrelevant.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Obviously you seem to think that everyone in Thailand is living in a deprived area and out of work. Believe it or not, not everyone works in the tourist sector which is not the largest employer in Thailand, excluding the government, tourism is 4th at 6%, about half of the number employed in the auto sector. Life did not come to a full stop over the virus, many continued to work and some the factories around here had a facelift.

We are going down to Krabi end of August and several of the hotels were sold out, mainly in the higher price range as people took advantage of the government incentives.

Let's assume that all Thais had enough savings and are able to travel within Thailand. They will never be able to replace the many millions of tourists. 

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, marin said:

Excuse me the Thai's are not all poor. There are 15 to 20 million credit cards issued to Thai's at this time. Then another 30 million debit cards.  You really should wake up to the real world here in the LOS.

Thailand is now a top-ten highest household debt country among 89 countries worldwide and third highest among 29 Asian countries.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thais-borrow-early-and-get-trapped-in-a-cycle-of-debt/

@4evermaat

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Oldie said:

Let's assume that all Thais had enough savings and are able to travel within Thailand. They will never be able to replace the many millions of tourists. 

Not a lot to be gained from stating the obvious, something the Thai government are well aware of, as are many other governments around the globe.

https://www.visitbritain.org/helping-tourism-industry-recover-covid-19

• Like 1

21 hours ago, marin said:

No no no no. They are all poor and they will work for you for a small bowl of rice a day.

A good boss may even put some chicken skin in the rice twice a week.

Sarcasm by the way. ????

As most of the posts in this thread are about borrowing and credit cards, thought I would chuck in my 2 cents worth.

I don't have a Thai credit card. But my wife does....never had a job since her teens...credit limit B40,000.

Her sister also has (had) in with limit B70,000. Her cc statements came to my house, and I noticed recently it was maxed out. I guess she's paying the minimum monthly payments. Interest is about 23% from what I can figure.

Wife's son has a modest food delivery job,  paid off his new pickup, then buys, on credit, a new iPhone for his 14yo daughter.

What was wrong with.her old phone??..nothing.

I think their view of borrowing and credit fall in line with most other disregard of the possible consequences....driving etc.

Something to do with education and early parenting I guess.

On 7/25/2020 at 9:30 AM, marin said:

We should be more modest and humble in our attitude to our hosts, and not humiliate nor patronise them.

We are guests here in this "horrible" country. If we suffer so much here, we can always go back to our homeland. OK almost can. Once the sky opens... 

On 7/25/2020 at 12:43 PM, 4evermaat said:

In Thailand?  How many locals have one?   And what kind of limits do they have?

My wife has 5 credit cards. She has always paid them off every month, and now she stopped using them, but all her friends have multiple cards too.  I guess it depends with whom you’re associating with 

1 hour ago, fakser said:

We should be more modest and humble in our attitude to our hosts, and not humiliate nor patronise them.

We are guests here in this "horrible" country. If we suffer so much here, we can always go back to our homeland. OK almost can. Once the sky opens... 

So sensitive, it’s almost cute