Koh Lanta

zzzzz

Can someone IN KOH LANTA, if ur not, dont reply

give some info

Am thinking of heading down tomorrow for a few days form Phuket.Are there resorts,bungalows open on the main beaches.

Klong Nin Beach, Klong Khong Beach

Restaurants open in Saladin?

according to booking.com they ALL are, which I doubt very much.

Thanks

3 hours ago, dimitriv said:

Be very careful with booking.com. Some time ago I booked there, but when we arrived the hotel was closed. I couldn't even open the front door.

This was after booking, paying and receiving a confirmation with the check-in time.

I got my money back, but it took me hours on the phone talking to clueless client service.

The same happened to me, was driving from the South to Bangkok and I booked a hotel for the night through booking.com and I turned up and they said they were closed, they wouldn't refund me and I had to go through booking.com which took ages! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Is Ko Lanta worth the hassle to get there, isn't it a few hours on a ferry from Phuket? If so, what is the best area to stay? Thanks

It’s a very short and cheap ferry (car) ride from the mainland and now a road bridge after that to the main island . I’ve always stayed at Klong Dao beach as it’s just 5 mins south of Saladan,the main town so easy to get there for restaurants etc. and the beach itself is reasonable by comparison. Never been other than in November and February,nor during this epidemic. It’s quiet even then and weather at this time of year is not the best. 

4 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

It’s a very short and cheap ferry (car) ride from the mainland and now a road bridge after that to the main island 

Sorry, not clear. How long does it take on a ferry from Phuket pier to Ko lanta island (I won't have a car)

Will look at that beach. It would be October when I go, which I know could still mean some rain?

6 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Sorry, not clear. How long does it take on a ferry from Phuket pier to Ko lanta island (I won't have a car)

Will look at that beach. It would be October when I go, which I know could still mean some rain?

11 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Sorry,misunderstood,but I have done the ride from Phuket to Lanta on foot passenger ferry about 2 hours ride unless you go on more expensive speedboat (I wouldn’t). But unless you are in Phuket already, going from Krabi is better. Once at Saladan pier you can get a 'Sam lor' 3 wheel motorcycle to Klong dao quite cheaply. Given the time of year you’re going  I would definitely stay there and explore the coastline and beaches heading south hiring a bike or car. Getting Sam lors is the main taxi option and far cheaper than Phuket. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

A little hard to say what things will look like in October of this year, the ferry's often run to meet the demand, if not many people around maybe no direct ferry, you may have to go to PhiPhi then wait 2-3 hours or next day for a boat on to Koh Lanta.

On 7/26/2020 at 12:33 PM, Keyser Soze666 said:

Is Ko Lanta worth the hassle to get there, isn't it a few hours on a ferry from Phuket? If so, what is the best area to stay? Thanks

I loved Lanta, the only reason I moved was because I was pregnant and our business was heavily reliant on the tourism and the very unpredictable high season. Saying that, it isn't for everyone and every beach has such a different 'vibe' - generally speaking, west side north is busier/south quieter, east side is all local businesses/mangroves etc, except for old town which is an interesting sea gypsy, old port town with lots of handicrafts. I'm planning on going back for a visit in August, so I will update this topic then with what it is like there there at the moment if anyone is interested.

From Phuket you can take a passenger boat during high season that goes to Lanta, it takes about 3-4 hrs and sometimes you have to change boat (in the middle of the ocean) near Koh Phi Phi. If you drive from Phuket it's quite a long way, you have to go down past Krabi and then across on the car ferry, probably around 6-7 hours for the whole trip.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fin5prtw said:

I loved Lanta, the only reason I moved was because I was pregnant and our business was heavily reliant on the tourism and the very unpredictable high season. Saying that, it isn't for everyone and every beach has such a different 'vibe' - generally speaking, west side north is busier/south quieter, east side is all local businesses/mangroves etc, except for old town which is an interesting sea gypsy, old port town with lots of handicrafts. I'm planning on going back for a visit in August, so I will update this topic then with what it is like there there at the moment if anyone is interested.

From Phuket you can take a passenger boat during high season that goes to Lanta, it takes about 3-4 hrs and sometimes you have to change boat (in the middle of the ocean) near Koh Phi Phi. If you drive from Phuket it's quite a long way, you have to go down past Krabi and then across on the car ferry, probably around 6-7 hours for the whole trip.

Six hours from Phuket? My GPS says it is about a six hour drive to the ferry from Prajuib.

• Haha 2

I was in Koh Lanta on 21st and 22nd June this year. The place was DEAD. Some resorts open but very few (I stayed at Blue Andaman resort - bungalows, pool and right on the beach). Some restaurants open but very few. It was miserable and sad to see the situation. The only highlight was that The Irish Embassy Pub was open (and busiest place). Great food, drink and a warm welcome from Jamie and his staff. I expect that more places are now open. Can you post a trip report of your experiences here please? 

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2020 at 9:32 PM, fin5prtw said:

If you drive from Phuket it's quite a long way, you have to go down past Krabi and then across on the car ferry, probably around 6-7 hours for the whole trip.

Your laughing reaction is not particularly helpful. It was a serious question / comment, as I am planning to drive down from the North very soon. My GPS routing software is usually pretty accurate about estimating drive times. Are you saying this is not the case in this instance? Anyone done the drive from Hua Hin or Phrajuib to the Lanta ferry? Would like to get an idea of the drive time involved. TIA.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 5:33 PM, Keyser Soze666 said:

Lanta is lovely, or certainly was early this century, and was worth it. I stayed at Lanta Villa, but I doubt it's the same now. One of the real benefits of Lanta's west coast was that there were NO longtails trawling for customers, so it was very peaceful.

Can also get there overland from Krabi town.

On 7/30/2020 at 3:10 AM, soi3eddie said:

I was in Koh Lanta on 21st and 22nd June this year. The place was DEAD. Some resorts open but very few (I stayed at Blue Andaman resort - bungalows, pool and right on the beach). Some restaurants open but very few. It was miserable and sad to see the situation. The only highlight was that The Irish Embassy Pub was open (and busiest place). Great food, drink and a warm welcome from Jamie and his staff. I expect that more places are now open. Can you post a trip report of your experiences here please? 

I'm puzzled that you were miserable just because of some places closed. Obviously the locals not making money were miserable, but that should no affect YOUR enjoyment of the beach. I'd love having the beach to myself, but I didn't need fancy restaurants or night life to do so.

• Like 2

On 8/3/2020 at 12:14 AM, wimpy said:

Your laughing reaction is not particularly helpful. It was a serious question / comment, as I am planning to drive down from the North very soon. My GPS routing software is usually pretty accurate about estimating drive times. Are you saying this is not the case in this instance? Anyone done the drive from Hua Hin or Phrajuib to the Lanta ferry? Would like to get an idea of the drive time involved. TIA.

Perhaps his laugh emoji was that you apparently believe a machine that doesn't take into account of all the things that can happen on the roads of LOS.

I once had to wait several hours while the police decided what to do about a full diesel tanker that had overturned blocking both lanes. Their solution was to empty the fuel onto the road which melted it, but that's just part of the rich tapestry of life in LOS.

If I had to be anywhere at a specific time and day, I'd always travel to the destination the day before, just to allow for any delays.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Lanta is lovely, or certainly was early this century, and was worth it. I stayed at Lanta Villa, but I doubt it's the same now. One of the real benefits of Lanta's west coast was that there were NO longtails trawling for customers, so it was very peaceful.

Can also get there overland from Krabi town.

You're a bit late to the party, moved on from this weeks back.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm puzzled that you were miserable just because of some places closed. Obviously the locals not making money were miserable, but that should no affect YOUR enjoyment of the beach. I'd love having the beach to myself, but I didn't need fancy restaurants or night life to do so.

You read wrong. The place was miserable. Mostly closed down and the Thai people there clearly having a hard time. No fun at all. Sad to see. I'm not miserable and look for the best in everything. 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2020 at 7:14 PM, wimpy said:

It's certainly doable, but personally I would break it up over 2 days - I frequently drive from Bangkok to Nakhon Si Thammarat and usually stop around Chumphon on the way down and Prachuap on the way back. 

Many of my friends drive from Lanta to Bangkok or vice versa in a day, but that's driving at full speed with very few breaks - a long and arduous journey. 

driving down, i usually stop in Cha am and than next day on to phuket, (about 8 hours)
from hua hin to the lanta ferry would be around 11 hours BUT as there is no place to stay there and the ferry does not run at night,better stopping in krabi ( apx 9 1/2 hours)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fin5prtw said:

It's certainly doable, but personally I would break it up over 2 days - I frequently drive from Bangkok to Nakhon Si Thammarat and usually stop around Chumphon on the way down and Prachuap on the way back. 

Many of my friends drive from Lanta to Bangkok or vice versa in a day, but that's driving at full speed with very few breaks - a long and arduous journey. 

Thanks for that. We are coming down from Lampang. Plan to spend two nights in Pran Buri, and then on to Koh Lanta on day 3. Lampang to Pran Buri is no problem. Just wasn't sure about Parn Buri to Koh Lanta.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/22/2020 at 9:23 PM, wimpy said:

Thanks for that. We are coming down from Lampang. Plan to spend two nights in Pran Buri, and then on to Koh Lanta on day 3. Lampang to Pran Buri is no problem. Just wasn't sure about Parn Buri to Koh Lanta.

In case anyone is planning similar, it was about 8 hours drive from Pran Buri to the car ferry. Pretty close to what my GPS was estimating. Am on Lanta now. Staying in one of the over water houses in Old Town. Very pleasant experience. Lots of places are closed, but enough open to make it worthwhile. Loving the absence of people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wimpy said:

In case anyone is planning similar, it was about 8 hours drive from Pran Buri to the car ferry. Pretty close to what my GPS was estimating. Am on Lanta now. Staying in one of the over water houses in Old Town. Very pleasant experience. Lots of places are closed, but enough open to make it worthwhile. Loving the absence of people.

Hope you have a great and peaceful time. Weather OK?

27 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Hope you have a great and peaceful time. Weather OK?

Thank you. Some really great monsoon downpours, but they don't last so long as to ruin your day. If you are thinking about it, come. A lovely experience, and they need the business.