Dtac unlimited internet data plan - 12call/AIS unlimited internet data plan - True mobile unlimited internet data plan

SePl

27 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Do DTAC sim work everywhere, i.e. is there coverage in Hua Hin?

Ridiculous ????

Of course it will work; there just is no guarantee of the speed you will receive at any particular location. Ideally, you should check before committing to a long term pack.

What SIM does your friend currently hold? Get him to apply a small full speed one day pack to it and to run a speed test at his place. 

In short, whichever ever SIM can get closest to 20 Mbps will be the best for him.

If a network can only offer 10 Mbps at his location, then there is no need to buy a 20 Mbps SIM. You can buy a 10 Mbps SIM for less than the above.

For instance, at my current place and with my current devices; I can only get 4 Mbps with DTAC and True. Whereas I get between 10 Mbps & 17 Mbps with AIS.

In another place, a few kms away and with another device, I would obtain 20 Mbps with DTAC and AIS was dire and unreliable. 

Speed test is the best way to determine.

The higher the Mbps, the smoother the experience. Watching YouTube video for instance. Higher quality video with less buffering.

Thanks Bruno

He is 81, no idea about speed tests or anything. 

Yesterday I showed him how to turn his phones off, he thought one press that puts it in to sleep mode was turning it off.

His sim is AIS, I sent him a detailed note of how to top it up on machine outside 7/11. He said it worked, he got notification straight away that it was topped up by 100 Baht, however, the 100 Baht he tried to put on is UK mobile number he hadn't received notification for...............

• Haha 1

For those of you with 3BB they offer with their internet package an add on for 100 baht a month a DTAC phone.  Unlimited internet, incoming text messages, and you can receive but not make phone calls.  Since I rarely need to call anyone it works for me. If I want to make a voice or video call I just use messenger or Whatsup. 

3 hours ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Thanks Bruno

He is 81, no idea about speed tests or anything. 

Yesterday I showed him how to turn his phones off, he thought one press that puts it in to sleep mode was turning it off.

His sim is AIS, I sent him a detailed note of how to top it up on machine outside 7/11. He said it worked, he got notification straight away that it was topped up by 100 Baht, however, the 100 Baht he tried to put on is UK mobile number he hadn't received notification for...............

So where is the second SIM to be utilised?

DTAC Invincible SIM is around 1390 baht for unlimited data for a year via JD Central/Lazada/Shopee etc. 1600 baht directly from DTAC

120 baht more to uprate the speed to 20 Mbps(if that speed is available at his location). 20 Mbps promo ends this month or has already ended.

AIS doesn't have an annual option. Monthly:

4Mbps 150 baht

10 Mbps 200 baht

20 Mbps 300 baht promo not available in/applicable to Hua Hin(Prachuap Khiri Khan)

Available within; Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Pathum Thani, Chanthaburi, Tak, Phuket, Chonburi, Nakhon Ratchasima, Rayong, Chumphon, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Lopburi, Chiang Rai, Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan.

• Like 1

Should clarify that I meant that AIS doesn't have a Prepaid annual option that offers unlimited 10 Mbps bandwidth.

Their offer provides 100 GB per month. Quite possibly enough for your friend if just for general browsing.

You can read about it here: https://www.ais.th/one-2-call/en/marathon1790.html

Cheaper via the oft mentioned outlets.

• Like 1

Is there a short code to activate 1 year internet for an existing dtac number? dont mind if its a little more than the lazada offers

If not the 300baht/month 10mbit is still good value, I can tether with this no problem?  I know some operators in other countries have heuristics to determine if tethering and slow the speed down to 64kbit when detected

2 hours ago, asiam110 said:

Is there a short code to activate 1 year internet for an existing dtac number? dont mind if its a little more than the lazada offers

If not the 300baht/month 10mbit is still good value, I can tether with this no problem?  I know some operators in other countries have heuristics to determine if tethering and slow the speed down to 64kbit when detected

No code for annual pack. 10 Mbps is 200; not 300. 20 Mbps is 300 per month.

No throttling nor problem with tethering for normal household usage.

Edited by Bruno123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Bruno

He has an old iphone with his UK sim and just bought a new Xiaomi with dual sim. He has his AIS sim for calls and will utilise the second slot for the internet sim.

If he gets a good signal from AIS at his place, that would make an argument for the AIS pack. DTAC, whilst offering  unlimited, is an unknown quantity to your friend.

If he intends on watching video; perhaps go for DTAC. For general browsing the AIS pack should be enough.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Can anyone help run a speed test on 20mbps true/ais 200thb plan?

i have recently just moved into a new apartment with no Wi-Fi, and using my 4mbps 30gb plan and under speed test it said 40Mbps !

I wonder do I have to upgrade to the 20Mbps unlimited plan or not for only the unlimited data.. 

19 hours ago, KHY0307 said:

i have recently just moved into a new apartment with no Wi-Fi, and using my 4mbps 30gb plan and under speed test it said 40Mbps !

I wonder do I have to upgrade to the 20Mbps unlimited plan or not for only the unlimited data.. 

How do you propose that someone helps you to run a speed test? Do you have the SIMs in question? You fail to even mention which network you are using now.

Test your current SIM using https://testmy.net Choose Test My Internet and then the Combined Test and publish the result.

Bear in mind that some SIMs come with free data when you top up. So if you get 1GB of free data, that can be full speed data, which will skew your speed test results. 

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
On 1/16/2022 at 6:25 AM, KHY0307 said:

I had the AIS 10mbps plan for about 3 years.  Well I guess I still have it.  It doesn't seem to matter how long I'm gone, when I come back and top-up the plan fires right back up.

The speedtest was usually significantly above 10mpbs, sometimes 60-80.  It def wasn't speed-capped like some other plans I've had where that needle hits the line you paid for and stays there. Tethered all the time, including for 3 months during covid when the condo i rented charged a stupid amount for wifi.  If it was an extra 100b for double the speed tho, I would do that in a heartbeat. You could buy both plans and do speed checks all the time to see if there's really any benefit. Let us know what u find out!

AIS "marathon" SIM, ~1500 THB/year, advertised 15 Mbps speed and 100GB traffic/month

tested: average speed is 10Mbps, maximum speed was ~30 Mbps, checked with servers in Bangkok (speedtest), Japan (testmy.net), and my own servers in France and Netherlands

nload.png.534187ef1e969f181a712e2e5f67435a.png

I believe this "15 Mbps" SIM could yield even higher speeds but I have pretty bad network coverage here (about 20% LTE signal and about 40% 3G signal)

still I would prefer DTAC over AIS but I have a few DTAC SIMs already and thus have to diversify the network connections.

Edited by fdsa

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking of buying a DTAC Unlimited 15Mbps Sim for 1390 Baht. Can someone (in simple terms) explain exactly what I'm getting, and what should I do once it arrives. Looking at the product description doesn't help as it's all in Thai. And a 5 year old probably has more   knowledge about smartphones than I do.

you are getting a SIM card preloaded with a special tariff with 12 months validity starting from the date of activation.

once it arrives you need to activate it to enable the tariff.

hard way: download DTAC app, try to make it accept your passport and selfie, enjoy.

easy way: go to the nearest DTAC office and have the staff activate the SIM for you, enjoy.

depending on the exact tariff it may also require a minimum top-up (e.g. 20 baht) to activate the internet, after activating the SIM with your passport data.

and for the next 12 months you will not need to pay anything else except that initial 1390 baht SIM card price, and possible 20 baht single top up.

highly likely you will not be able to prolong that special tariff after 12 months and the SIM will become a "usual" SIM which you will be able to use only with a "usual" much more expensive internet packages.

Edited by fdsa
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, fdsa said:

you are getting a SIM card preloaded with a special tariff with 12 months validity starting from the date of activation.

once it arrives you need to activate it to enable the tariff.

hard way: download DTAC app, try to make it accept your passport and selfie, enjoy.

easy way: go to the nearest DTAC office and have the staff activate the SIM for you, enjoy.

depending on the exact tariff it may also require a minimum top-up (e.g. 20 baht) to activate the internet, after activating the SIM with your passport data.

and for the next 12 months you will not need to pay anything else except that initial 1390 baht SIM card price, and possible 20 baht single top up.

highly likely you will not be able to prolong that special tariff after 12 months and the SIM will become a "usual" SIM which you will be able to use only with a "usual" much more expensive internet packages.

Thankyou for that. It explains it nicely. I will be ordering from Lazada later.