A Thai wife's tears: British husband killed as he takes brother-in-law monk to the temple

webfact

8 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Considering that the motorbike had just been in a high speed collision, its quite likely that the motorbike for shunted by the car or even moved by rescuers , the position of the bike doesnt tell us anything

the two factors combined indicate the scooter was in the right lane,

its more probable that it was in the right lane then the left lane.

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Nonsense, she hit the bike from behind.

Maybe you did not read the OP.

She may have been overtaking, and not had time to avoid him turning right. He might have turned in front of her. We just don't know. Have to feel sorry for all parties in these cases.

Edited by Donga
  • Thanks 1

Riding in those sidecars is illegal, for obvious reasons. But well, you know..... If the law had been enforced at some stage then the deceased would have had to find a legal way to transport the monk. So another road death due to lack of law enforcement.

7 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

RIP. Another victim killed by a driver who shouldn't be on the road.

My condolences to the family and friends. 

Amazing the genius of some people on this forum... Well done .You should be advising the government. RIP to the man and condolences to his wife. 

• Like 1

We bought a big Hyundai H1 bus with lots of airbags, ABS, traction control etc to give us the best chance when driving long distances on Thai roads, I appreciate not anyone can afford to protect themselves as much, more’s the pity. Luckily not had to test all the safety protection yet.

8 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Being rammed by a pickup from behind must be the most common way to die here suddenly ????Rip 

Aka, "natural causes".

Hope his latter years were good to him as they are for many others in this land of contrasts.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, scammed said:

the data published doesnt support your assertion

Sukanya, 43, driving the pick-up said that she saw the motorcycle with sidecar ahead of her. They moved to the right and she was unable to brake in time and avoid a collision.

this indicate she saw the scooter, and that the scooter moved to the right,

i.e shifting lane

Sounds very similar to the scenario thats had Khun boss in hot water for a few years but sanity finally prevailed and the charges dropped.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, colinneil said:

Tragic, a poor man has lost his life, due to the carelessness of a woman driver.

Claiming to be unable to brake BS, was probably too busy on her phone.

R.I.P. FELLOW COUNTRYMAN.

Off course, british dont do wrong on the streets. Your comment is discusting!

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

RIP. Another victim killed by a driver who shouldn't be on the road.

My condolences to the family and friends. 

no, you cant make that assertion, from the footage and the comments published

its more probable that the victim crossed into her lane, that the victim was in the wrong

14 hours ago, robblok said:

Sad that the guy died in such a way and the driver if she hit him from behind is guilty. I do wonder if the guy wore an helmet. Because they mention the severe head trauma. 

Helmets do not always lrotect. Michael Schumacher wore a helmet when he crashed onto a rock.

14 hours ago, robblok said:

Sad that the guy died in such a way and the driver if she hit him from behind is guilty. I do wonder if the guy wore an helmet. Because they mention the severe head trauma. 

Or, if the helmet was of good quality.

If not a full helmet, it will not help if the impact is facial. As the  motorbike was hit from behind, there is potential the driver was flung face forward into the road.

Takeaway: Get a  good quality helmet (Non Thai origin) and one that is full face protection.

• Like 1

One more sad and tragic data point. 

Had the guy been driving a 4 wheeled vehicle, his family's big concern would be getting the rear bumper fixed. 

And that's regardless of who was at fault...

14 hours ago, scammed said:

why would you make the assumption she was in the wrong when you have no data

whatsoever ?

he could just as well have cut her off, not even bother to look if he was cutting someone as he decided to cut a lane

You’re correct about making assumptions; but I think it’s safe to say that it is a drivers responsibility not to run over those in front of them. In my humble experience that is accomplished by being cautious when overtaking another vehicle, especially when they are on a vehicle that offers no protection for the occupants; a practice that seems to be absent in many vehicle drivers in Thailand. A shame that police didn’t investigate the accident and publish results, might serve as lesson for others; unfortunately the only lesson here is that it easy to die on roads here.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, DB58 said:

You’re correct about making assumptions; but I think it’s safe to say that it is a drivers responsibility not to run over those in front of them. In my humble experience that is accomplished by being cautious when overtaking another vehicle, especially when they are on a vehicle that offers no protection for the occupants; a practice that seems to be absent in many vehicle drivers in Thailand. A shame that police didn’t investigate the accident and publish results, might serve as lesson for others; unfortunately the only lesson here is that it easy to die on roads here.

taking over is done on the premise that she wasnt going to get cut off,

he didnt have right of way to shift lane when she was already in the outer track,

and on the contrary she shouldnt be cautious in the act, she should accelerate to get it over with.

without this most basic premise that no one is allowed to turn into a lane

until that lane is clear, it would not be possible to ever take over

anyone regardless of how many lanes, it would be mayhem 

there is a chance she ran into him without him cutting her, but that chance is low,

among other things that would imply he had been sticking in the right lane all along.

the most likely is that he made a sudden lane swap right at the moment she was taking over,

and she had zero time to take evasive action

Edited by scammed
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, gamini said:

In fact I've had two bad accidents on motorcycle. So I decided never to ride one again.

I know where your coming from, I have also lost a couple of friends through motorbike accidents, the rest busted up with broken bones, pins in legs, arms, etc etc etc.

My oldest brother ended who used to ride with us occasionally (the loose canon) we used to call him as he had no fear and was a great rider, but a loose cannon as I said, ended up dying a few years after injuries he sustained from him ending up going through a shop front window, but not before hitting a no standing sign after a car changed lanes without a blinker, sending him straight into the gutter, that was back in Oz.

His injuries lead him to heavy drinking to numb his pain, shocking way to go.

I had been riding bikes since I was a kid, started off with motocross bikes then the big road bikes, shouldn't be here myself today as I came close to a couple of shaves at high speed, the adrenaline rush of the zero to warp speed with a few mates on country and mountainous roads was out of this world, then I had a heart attack at 47, not on the bike fortunately, and when I recovered, I took the bike out to warm it up and said to the wife, fancy a ride to grab a steak and a beer, and her reply was at the speeds you get up too, hmm, what if you have another heart attack darling, smart girl my wife, I took it the bike out for a quick warm up through the airport tunnel to clean out the cobwebs and ended up selling BattleStar Galactica as my brother used to call my bike, no regrets 13 years on, but do get excited when I hear a big bike passing, it's in the blood, sort or like looking at a good looking Asian girl walking by.....heart attack material ????

Smart policy your company has as the company would no doubt be covering you on the way to work and home, and motorbikes might have been a premium to be paid in their insurance policy or not cover bikes at all in the policy and that could end up on the company if one of its workers got injured riding a bike.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, ujayujay said:

Off course, british dont do wrong on the streets. Your comment is discusting!

Of course some British do wrong on the streets, as do many other foreigners but they are greatly outnumbered by Thai drivers who drive badly.

About 5 years ago I was at a set of lights in Nakhon Sawan on my motorbike, and when it showed green for us to go I went straight on I drove away, only to be T boned by 2 old Thai ladies who simply ran the red light and hit me. Fortunately for me there was a police post at the junction and the cop saw it happen.

The old ladies stopped about 100 metres up the road and later we all went to the police station where after a few phone calls it was settled in my favour.

So whose fault was the accident? Mine for proceeding correctly or theres for deliberately running the red light?

As for his comment, he merely said what he thought, just as you did.

On 7/27/2020 at 10:59 AM, scammed said:

why would you make the assumption she was in the wrong when you have no data

whatsoever ?

he could just as well have cut her off, not even bother to look if he was cutting someone as he decided to cut a lane

Oh you mean driving like a Thai? Highly doubtful as he was white...

1 hour ago, BobinBKK said:

Oh you mean driving like a Thai? Highly doubtful as he was white...

i have seen it on numerous occasion here on this very forum how white elderly

retirees have zero clue on traffic regulations, and i have also seen it first hand in traffic

in pattaya, one of them actually stating that i had to wait on him to cut my lane because

had had switched on his signal.

i am here to educate as many as i can

Edited by scammed

3 minutes ago, scammed said:

i have seen it on numerous occasion here on this very forum how white elderly

retirees have zero clue on traffic regulations, and i have also seen it first hand in traffic

in pattaya, one of them actually stating that i had to wait on him to cut my lane because

had had switched on his signal.

i am here to educate as many as i can

I find nudge bars bounce scooters forward rather than having them damage my bonnet and grille.

70 is VERY young and tragic.  I'm sure we all hope to live to be 90.  That's TWENTY years, or two decades......

twenty years ago was 2000 and there was the dot com bubble, every place on the world was different.  totally different.   

so imagine what this man will miss in the next twenty years.  

imagine if you died before covid......every year is filled with mystery.  

keep safe, healthy, and let's see the next 20 together  

I've been riding since the age of 8 (motocross) - over 50 years on all kinds of stuff. But in Thailand the odds are heavily stacked against you, whatever your skill level. Nothing less than four wheels for me. I regard getting on a bike in Thailand as attempted suicide. Some of the elderly Farang I see wobbling around in Pattaya honestly make my hair stand on end.