A Thai wife's tears: British husband killed as he takes brother-in-law monk to the temple

webfact

Clearly, it was a collision at SPEED whichever way you look at it. The monk suffered two broken legs from inside the protective side car, and hopefully will be able to provide enough info for the police to establish what happened, despite the woman's protestations.

IMO, without any layout of the road and any side turnings to base my assumptions, she was driving at an excessive speed without paying attention to the motorbike-sidecar's route, especially if there was a turning light indicator on the motorbike - which could still be flashing...   Police should arrest her for speeding, whatever.

On the other hand, and my learning experience of such a situation is to practice defensive driving whenever I'm out and about. It wouldn't be hard to surmise that the motorbike rider maybe didn't consult his wing mirror - although he surely must have heard this vehicle approaching at speed.  We'll wait for the monk to clarify. 

• Like 1

Driving a "Motorcycle with sidecar" so it was an illegal vehicle and not registered for the road as would never be considered roadworthy, even here in Thailand, yet the Police never stop folks driving these for 'commercial" reasons! ????

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, seajae said:

or that he had his indicator on to turn right and she tried to pass him or could react in time, I have had it done to me many times when riding, drivers simply ignore you. If he had his indicator on to  move into the middle lane to turn right and was in front of her he did have right of way, problem is many thais speed and will try to get past you before you can do it or are too busy looking at their phone/talking on it so react much slower. Speculation by everyone will not sort it out, we will have to wait for the police to decide what happened or the monk to tell his side

no, giving a signal doesnt give you right of way, nor does procceding with caution give you right of way,

you have to wait for oncoming traffic to pass before you shift lane or turn into a sidetrack

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, scammed said:

Sukanya, 43, driving the pick-up said that she saw the motorcycle with sidecar ahead of her. They moved to the right and she was unable to brake in time and avoid a collision.

Unfortunately it is all speculation. May be tyretracks can give a glue?

But I am overly cautious when I see a female driver. Too many times I experienced them paying more attention to the phone, instead to the ongoing traffic.

Additionally often a self righteous attitude being granted only to them by some invisible higher power.

Very sad. RIP.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Paiman said:

Unfortunately it is all speculation. May be tyretracks can give a glue?

But I am overly cautious when I see a female driver. Too many times I experienced them paying more attention to the phone, instead to the ongoing traffic.

Additionally often a self righteous attitude being granted only to them by some invisible higher power.

Very sad. RIP.

yes, woman arent to be trusted, but neither are drivers of a sidecar,

those are tricky to handle in any instance they need to change speed or direction,

and the question lingers: what was a side car doing in the right lane ??

had he been driving in the right lane for kilometres on end ? if so why ?

or did he just on a whim turn into the right lane at this precise moment ?

if so why ?

the only logical reason he was in the right lane is if he intended to turn into a sidetrack to the right imo, and took for granted there wasnt anyone taking over at that moment,

this would also mean he was slowing down while she was accelerating,

which double up closure rate and drastically reduces reaction time,

it also suggest he didnt switch on signal in a timely manner to indicate his intent

of lane cutting

Edited by scammed

2 minutes ago, scammed said:

those are tricky to handle in any instance they need to change speed or direction,

if so why ?

the only logical reason he was in the right lane is if he intended to turn into a sidetrack to the right imo, and took for granted there wasnt anyone taking over at that moment,

which double up closure rate and drastically reduces reaction time

I hear you.

You and me, speculations.

I feel for the widow. Hope she has a supportive family to give her strength during this time.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RobbyXNorway said:

Massive head trauma is usualy if you dont wear a helmet or you wear a plastic pot. If you wear a proper helmet you still have a chance. I see way too many foreigners here riding motorbikes with either no helmet, a plastic pot or a semi-decent helmet but not fastened the chin straps. We all know the thais usualy dont care about helmets, but if you value your life you should always wear a proper helmet properly.

I agree, if you play the odds and wear a decent helmet you probably have a better chance of survival than not wearing a helmet, though it is a fact that helmets create a false sense of security and add to the risk of neck injurious due to the weight, I have ridden many tens of thousands of miles in Thailand, my main worry was always ending up under the wheels of a truck or bus! If your head is protected - great - but if you have a truck parked on your chest its not going to be particularly helpful in sustaining life! :shock1:

• Like 2

My mental / physical quickness and vision is not what it used to be.  I do not drive.  Admire those that can still enjoy the open road. 

Safety is an issue in everything you do.

Sad loss.  RIP

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scammed said:

the data published doesnt support your assertion

Sukanya, 43, driving the pick-up said that she saw the motorcycle with sidecar ahead of her. They moved to the right and she was unable to brake in time and avoid a collision.

this indicate she saw the scooter, and that the scooter moved to the right,

i.e shifting lane

And how many times do you hear Thais making anything that they can think of up to avoid responsibility and losing face?  Break failure??? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, scammed said:

if so why ?

which double up closure rate and drastically reduces reaction time,

it also suggest he didnt switch on signal in a timely manner to indicate his intent

of lane cutting

You have assumed in a number of posts that this is a four lane road. I believe it is a two lane road and the photo is taken pointing away from the direction of travel. If it was a 4 lane road that would be the left lane in any case. 

The bottom line is...

He who sups with the devil should have a long spoon.

If one knowingly choose to live with a known devil, accept the consequences. 'cos whatever happens, the Devil's not to blame.

Isn't this logical? Jus' askin'

• Confused 2

52 minutes ago, Bluetongue said:

You have assumed in a number of posts that this is a four lane road. I believe it is a two lane road and the photo is taken pointing away from the direction of travel. If it was a 4 lane road that would be the left lane in any case. 

no i hanvt

5 hours ago, scammed said:

why would you make the assumption she was in the wrong when you have no data

whatsoever ?

he could just as well have cut her off, not even bother to look if he was cutting someone as he decided to cut a lane

Most road crashes are caused by distraction. I too believe it likely that the stupid woman was texting or talking on the phone. Unfortunately this level of detection is beyond the ability of the RTP

I was struck on my bike and hospitalised by a stupid Thai woman talking on her cell phone. No charges were brought. My Embassy told me to leave Thailand as soon as possible. 

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, simtemple said:

Most road crashes are caused by distraction. I too believe it likely that the stupid woman was texting or talking on the phone. Unfortunately this level of detection is beyond the ability of the RTP

I was struck on my bike and hospitalised by a stupid Thai woman talking on her cell phone. No charges were brought. My Embassy told me to leave Thailand as soon as possible. 

the four accidents i had was all caused by my lane being cut off

by someone that couldnt be arsed to signal intention or didnt see me coming 

before driving into my lane

4 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Well yes, thats what she SAID .

Shes hardly likely to say to the police officer : *I was going 130 KPH down a small road and trying to reply to a text I had just received when BANG , hit a motorbike which I didnt see* , now is she 

together with the fact that the image show the sidecar being on the right lane,

that statement is the only data released on the case,

any theory that doesnt use these two bits of data is even more speculation.

they need to question the child if the intent was to drive into a side street to the right, i cant see a logical reason why the sidecar would ever venture into the right lane otherwise

Edited by scammed

3 minutes ago, scammed said:

together with the fact that the image show the sidecar being on the right lane,

that statement is the only data released on the case,

any theory that doesnt use these two bits of data is even more speculation.

they need to question the child if the intent was to drive into a side street to the right, i cant see a logical reason why the sidecar would ever venture into the right lane otherwise

Considering that the motorbike had just been in a high speed collision, its quite likely that the motorbike for shunted by the car or even moved by rescuers , the position of the bike doesnt tell us anything

2 hours ago, ravip said:

The bottom line is...

He who sups with the devil should have a long spoon.

If one knowingly choose to live with a known devil, accept the consequences. 'cos whatever happens, the Devil's not to blame.

Isn't this logical? Jus' askin'

Sometimes... the TRUTH is very confusing... YES, it is!