Covid-19: Thailand named best in the world in coronavirus pandemic recovery stats

webfact

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Ya, this is who I want to be getting my medical guidance from:

I'll listen to the CDC and Journal of the American Medical Assn:

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/p0714-americans-to-wear-masks.html

Try playing the ball rather than the man. The author of the article I cited on the poor protection against viruses provided by face masks referenced 22 separate studies in support of his conclusions. Which, if any, to you refute - and why?

By your lack of response to the second article I quoted, are we to assume you accept wearing a mask can have unhealthy consequences?

10 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Save the  blatant attempt to disseminate false information. The jig is up. People know.

Declassified intel says Russia is spreading coronavirus disinformation: reports

Newly declassified intelligence reportedly shows that Russian operatives are using a variety of English-language websites to spread disinformation about the novel coronavirus. Senior officials with the Russian military intelligence unit known as the GRU are responsible for the disinformation campaign, according to reports from The New York Times and The Associated Press on Tuesday.

https://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/509467-declassified-intel-says-russia-is-spreading-coronavirus-disinformation

Your promotion of an opinion by Mr. Denis Rancourt is classic sabotage. The man is trained in physics, not  medical engineering and infectious disease. Of greater interest is that he had once been a tenured professor at the University of Ottawa. He was TERMINATED.  In Canada it is almost impossible to terminate a tenured professor.  He is known for his conflicts with the university  arising from his grade inflation and "academic squatting," (the act of arbitrarily changing the topic of a course without departmental permission.)  He is described as an emotionally unstable extremist. I find the description credible considering his wild allegations and his recent  legal case involving the allegation of character stalking. He is also described as an opinion for hire. Russia does not support action in respect to global warming, in large part because of its oil industry interests.  Mr. Rancourt has spoken out against changes to stem global warming.   How very convenient that  he always seems to be in synch with Russia.  

Enough of your silly conspiracy theories about Mr Rancourt and the Russians. His conclusions are based on 22 independent pieces of research, not sourced by the Kremlin.

Jeez. . . 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I accept that the guy whose article you quoted had his article removed from the research site he submitted it to... just as reputable scientific groups and online media are removing various fake/alt right coronavirus claims, like those tweeted by the president's son, and re-tweeted by the president, the other day, earning Trump Jr. a Twitter suspension.

As for the general issue, doctors, nurses and medical personnel around the world are, and have been (when supplies are available) wearing masks and other PPE to protect themselves as much as possible from the coronavirus. If they're good enough for the doctors and nurses, they're good enough for me!

So much for "following the science"! 

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

How many hundreds of thousands of people did President George Bush have killed when he invaded Iraq in 2003 because he alleged they had weapons of mass destruction, none found and he hasn't been held accountable on war crimes, isn't that odd to you ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Iraq_War

As for the Dr, how many people did she kill when prescribing Hydroxychloride, zero, what a demon seed - lady oi !

And that she didn't kill them proves that the stuff works?

Yeah...right...oi!

And obviously, you didn't understand the demon seed reference and should just educate yourself about people you put on a pedestal!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Um....you mean like "open up the borders and allow Covid-19 back in", or keep them "closed and not allow Covid-19 back in", right?  

No!

What I mean is: there are intermediate steps between closing the borders indefinately and putting millions out of work and money or opening the borders and let everybody in tomorrow. Like  finding some sensible measures to open up the country and be prepared for an eventual (or not) spike in COVID cases!

Edited by The Barmbeker
  • Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 8:48 AM, actonion said:

It does'nt say who named them best in the world

You just couldn't be bothered to read through to the end of the article could you?

Sanook said that the country had a rating of 81.15 on 24th July, 81.55 on the 25th and Tuesday topped the Global Covid-19 Index (GCI) with 82.06.............

A total of 184 countries are ranked in the index that takes into account the proportion of the population that have died and other data from Johns Hopkins University. 

10 minutes ago, The Barmbeker said:

And that she didn't kill them proves that the stuff works?

Yeah...right...oi!

And obviously, you didn't understand the demon seed reference and should just educate yourself about people you put on a pedestal!

You obviously don't get who the demon-seed is, I mentioned his name earlier, George W Bush, I mean what, you afraid of a black woman giving out Hydroxychloride.....lol, as for pedal stools George is on one, isn't he, he did good killing all those people, didn't he, God bless America and all that. 

11 minutes ago, The Barmbeker said:

No!

What I mean is: there are intermediate steps between closing the borders indefinately and putting millions out of work and money or opening the borders and let everybody in tomorrow. Like  finding some sensible measures to open up the country and be prepared for an eventual (or not) spike in COVID cases!

It appears to be all part of the plan, fear caused from misinformation, millions will perish, haven't even reached that level yet, pretty much on par, maybe slightly over the influenza figures, if you can actually believe the Covid-19 botched up mortality figures, the way people have been forced to report them.

Why not just open up the world and let things take their normal course, oh that's right, hospitals will be inundated like in the USA now, I hear it's quite in the hospitals, I also hear others who usually go for cancer treatments, strokes, heart attacks died because of the fear, not to mention others requiring other treatments, fear is what one needs to come to the rescue when it's time to produce a vaccine, God forbid, how did we survive all of those years without vaccines, and how will we survive when this vaccine doesn't work when the Covid-19 mutats, as does the influenza, it's useless for the elderly and at best is 60% effective for those under 65 years of age.

No fear here, let the cat out of the bag, herd immunity would take over, that or a lot of people will eventually get sick, those that die, could have been hit by a car walking down the street, suicides would be reduced, people could get treated as usual, as they say, the show must go on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Enough of your silly conspiracy theories about Mr Rancourt and the Russians. His conclusions are based on 22 independent pieces of research, not sourced by the Kremlin.

Jeez. . . 

A good Associated Press article on the all the types of CV misinformation/false information like that that you seem to be continually be posting:

https://apnews.com/86f61f3ffb6173c29bc7db201c10f141

Misinformation on coronavirus is proving highly contagious

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — As the world races to find a vaccine and a treatment for COVID-19, there is seemingly no antidote in sight for the burgeoning outbreak of coronavirus conspiracy theories, hoaxes, anti-mask myths and sham cures.

The phenomenon, unfolding largely on social media, escalated this week when President Donald Trump retweeted a false video about an anti-malaria drug being a cure for the virus and it was revealed that Russian intelligence is spreading disinformation about the crisis through English-language websites.

Experts worry the torrent of bad information is dangerously undermining efforts to slow the virus, whose death toll in the U.S. hit 150,000 Wednesday, by far the highest in the world, according to the tally kept by Johns Hopkins University.

5 hours ago, rabas said:

Great balls of fire!

As previously pointed out to you, your own posted data showed that for every 100 symptomatic transmissions there were  79 asymptomatic transmissions (a lot). And again you state the misleading 0-2.8%, even though it has nothing to do with relative numbers of asymptomatic transmissions.

Then you criticize others' statistics. Thai use better logic.

The asymptomatic transmission rate is not 0 to 2.8 %, as previously pointed out to you, and having linked the article three times you still don't get it right, that smacks of carelessness frankly, it is in fact 0 to 2.2%.

Nowhere in the study I posted does it say that for every 100 symptomatic transmissions there were 79 asymptomatic transmissions, you've simply misinterpreted a column in a table. Read it again, you obviously made a few errors.

I would also ask you to tame your lose tongue, you're coming across all Amber Heard here. 

I understand you think masks are useful, but if asymptomatic transmission rate is 0-2.3% then frankly wearing a mask is fantastically pointless no matter how effective it works, simply because you're very unlikely to meet an asymptomatic person who will actually transmit the virus.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.10.20097543v2.full.pdf

Asymptomatic rate.jpg

Edited by Logosone

I'm taking a practical approach to the mask issue .. if you're in an environment where cutting a log with a chainsaw produces airborne dust that doesn't float away with breeze, use a mask. Same with loud, shouting people and covid. Bars, public transport, events with crowds, etc.

To give an example, if you have American tourists "discussing" things at 190dB in a London tube, wear a mask. And ear protection.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, The Barmbeker said:

No!

So , another dreamer who thinks we can order a virus around.

"So the Intermediate  Plan is - Day 1 , we will fling open the borders and , with our single minded preparedness in focus we will control the virus harshly , and allow it only 22.5 victims on the first day.... Day Two and following , we will allow  a lot more people in , but , LET IT BE KNOWN ,  we will tolerate a lot less viruses !" 

Do you honestly think your solution has not been tried and failed dismally ?

Even strict quarantine situations have now lead to growing outbreaks.

As for people praising Vietnams promise to re-open  ... ahem...

12 hours ago, Logosone said:

Hey Yinn!!!! Sawadee Krap. So sorry, but Thailand is not "best in the world". Not even top ten, I'm afraid. See, the "Global Covid 19 Index" is not a global initiative at all, not of the World Health Organization, UEFA, FIFA, or any other global organization. Turns out the Global Covid 19 Index is produced by Malaysian consulting firm Pemandu Associates together with some Malaysian government offices.

Whilst that alone robs the top ranking of its street credibility, the real problem actually becomes apparent when you look at the methodology Pemandu Associates have used with the index. See that index is basically fed "confirmed cases per population" and the death rate due to Covid 19 published by each country. 

As you probably know the confirmed cases figures and deaths due to Covid 19 figures published by the Thai authorities are incredibly low. The operative word here being incredibly. See, as you are no doubt aware, Thailand has not tested 99.6% of its population. And if you do not test you have very low case numbers, and you can not know if a person died or did not die of Covid 19.

Hence, since the figures provided by the Thai government are rather meaningless, it is even more meaningless to feed them into an index as Pemandu Associates have done.

I don't want to be too hard on Khairy Jamaluddin, Jemilah Mahmood, Rifat Atun, Senait Fisseha, Awang Bulgiba Awang Mahmud, and all the others involved in producing the GCI, however, it is rather poorly done. They should really have looked at excess death figures. Hard work I guess.

Anyway, keep wearing the mask, 0 to 2.3% of asymptomatic transmissions, you never know, one of those two people may walk next to you and sneeze. As for the tracing app though, I can tell you nobody logs into the app when they go to Central and nobody bothers to sign the register anymore either. And the numbers aren't any worse now than they were before, are they? Not that they were ever anything but inaccurate anyway, but just saying.

You said Germany best in the world. Right? 

About 10,000 die already. more today, yesterday ....

some days 300+ death. 

And 90%+ German not tested. 

15 highest covid the world. Terrible.

I wish they control it soon.

Lucky we not listen to anti masker, anti tracer, anti thermometer, anti vaxxer loons. They spread it a lot. 

Donald wear the mask now. Boris, Angela.

44AB3F6D-8856-4896-8C26-B58D5E415010.thumb.png.a619d0ad87c8e23e1e2980e6fade663e.pngE136C6F5-02B7-47D2-9CF9-D9DDC4C8DF6F.thumb.png.1ac1b68557b8d2ab361d261cfae5446d.pngC11C551C-8D3B-49B2-91ED-64E83D3F4A85.thumb.png.c7b4e7b800091ca22ef18928edfe9223.png 

E5EEEC9D-1803-4FA7-BAAA-0C2F42E30953.thumb.png.6d9829010e80a618c8432ad7939a0720.png

Malaysia do good job.

RIP

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

I would like to believe all the extremely selfish people on this forum praising the government and wanting to keep the borders closed are donating regularly to help the thousands if not millions of Thai people who have been financially ruined by this but I highly doubt it.

Many of you claim to have come here to escape the “nanny state” and now you are begging for your nanny to save you.

Keep it locked !

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

You said Germany best in the world. Right? 

About 10,000 die already. more today, yesterday ....

some days 300+ death. 

15 highest covid the world. Terrible.

I wish they control it soon.

Lucky we not listen to anti masker, anti tracer, anti thermometer, anti vaxxer loons. They spread it a lot. 

Donald wear the mask now. Boris, Angela.

44AB3F6D-8856-4896-8C26-B58D5E415010.thumb.png.a619d0ad87c8e23e1e2980e6fade663e.pngE136C6F5-02B7-47D2-9CF9-D9DDC4C8DF6F.thumb.png.1ac1b68557b8d2ab361d261cfae5446d.pngC11C551C-8D3B-49B2-91ED-64E83D3F4A85.thumb.png.c7b4e7b800091ca22ef18928edfe9223.png 

E5EEEC9D-1803-4FA7-BAAA-0C2F42E30953.thumb.png.6d9829010e80a618c8432ad7939a0720.png

Malaysia do good job.

RIP

"You said Germany best in the world. Right?"

Actually, I don't think the post mentioned Germany - where did you read that? 

On 7/29/2020 at 3:44 PM, black tabby said:

Good to know it.

Thanks to:

1-Government's speedy decisive  moves to contain  Corona Virus. 

2-The reasoned population  willing to wear face masks and accept body temperature check on demand.

3-Easy access to affordable masks often made by individual tailors applying own skills to produce them.

4-The tropical  gift to Thailand; high temperature, humidity, and strong UV, all what C/Virus hates.

2 is particularly  the attitude the west should copy during this critical period of time.

Freedom of not wearing face masks inside the indoor  public place  is just an abuse of freedom to spread the disease.

DSCN8552.JPG

Speedy decision?  The borders with China remained open all of January and February and parts of March.  Closures were only implemented once the virus had become an issue in Italy/ Europe

It is hot and humid in Florida - hot in many parts of the USA and that does not seem to help much

I'd agree on the point regarding the availability of masks.  Regarding willingness - WHO and CDC kept advising the public not to wear masks in February , March and April - as they admit to protect supplies for medical staff.  If government says no and then yes; we should not be surprised that there is reluctance among the population.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dart12 said:

It'll last if the stats are fudged.  Easy to keep fudging if that's the desire.

good for us if they are not though.  It would be nice.  But doesn't make sense to have all the "covid" laws locally if no one has it, nor the "emergency decree" by the gov to bypass whatever other laws in place and subvert them for new laws they want.

good point - if there are no domestic cases, why not open everything within the country and keep only borders closed?  

Maybe that is too logical, but...

13 minutes ago, Miami007 said:

good point - if there are no domestic cases, why not open everything within the country and keep only borders closed?  

Maybe that is too logical, but...

Within country, what is still closed down?

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 11:34 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The lack of testing and diagnosis here is certainly an issue of concern regarding this supposed ranking that Thailand has.

Yet at the same time, we're not hearing any anecdotal evidence of significant virus spread and death in Thailand... no social media posts about families falling sick, no reports out of hospitals about overflowing admissions or full ICU units, etc etc...

If there was actual spread of the virus going on here, you'd have to wonder would the authorities be able to keep it invisible for all this time, i.e., not have the telltale signs come popping into public view?

You really don't have to do anything to "keep it invisible" other than just not report it. In regards to road deaths: happens every day and consistently high numbers per month/year. The only way we have a sense of that is the aggregate reports. No mounds of dead bodies. Hospitals not popping at the seams with injured. If they didn't give us the raw daily/monthly/yearly numbers of road deaths we'd be in the dark without any special effort to "hide" anything.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sambum said:

"You said Germany best in the world. Right?"

Actually, I don't think the post mentioned Germany - where did you read that? 

He say it everyday in March and April.

before Germany have success.

https://www.politico.eu/article/germans-being-german-about-coronavirus/

but the not wear mask, social distance so big problem now. Other countrys worse.ACC5D8D0-DF8D-4237-90CD-A3E002D6D8FB.thumb.png.a958804cb7041ef000dc90f24ffd14cb.png

Edited by Yinn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Yinn said:

He say it everyday in March and April.

before Germany have success.

https://www.politico.eu/article/germans-being-german-about-coronavirus/

but the not wear mask, social distance so big problem now. Other countrys worse.ACC5D8D0-DF8D-4237-90CD-A3E002D6D8FB.thumb.png.a958804cb7041ef000dc90f24ffd14cb.png

Ah poor Yinn, you cling to that Global Covid 19 Index produced by Pemandu Associates, Malaysian consulting firm, like a drowning man to a drop of water. So sad. Do you not realise that this GCI index means nothing? It is just a list done by a business consulting firm in Malaysia with some Malaysian government offices. And their main trick is to use the case and death figures provided by government authorities. And as we know since countries like Thailand have not tested 99.6% of their population the Thai official figures are meaningless. And to feed them in an index is even more meaningless. Why do they do it?

Well, in a Malaysian produced ranking Malaysia is the fourth most successful country in recovering from Covid19. How surprising. Malayasia's government figures are of course just as meaningless as Thailand. But maybe you can go celebrate the meaningless numbers together? I mean you have such a need to be number one somewhere, so sweet.

As for Germany, please do not compare a country that has a made a real and honest effort to find its actual number of cases, which overestimates the deaths rather than underestimate them by counting every dead person who tested positive automatically as having died of Covid19, with countries like Thailand where everyone knows the numbers are funny jokes at best.

And btw, Germany has 9144 deaths, not 10,000, which is not a serious problem in a population of 83,000,000, it's 0.01% of the population, mostly the very old. But then in Thailand you have problems with numbers, don't you?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Yinn said:

So just to make sure I have got this right and understand you correctly, Yinn, Germany, which ranks 7th in the world for total tests and has tested 8 million people, and 10% of its population is  "bad", but Thailand, which ranks 48th in the world for total tests and has tested more than ten times LESS than Germany with 700,000, so has tested 1% of its population is "best in the world"?

Is that what you're saying? If so please take a look at the chart below which compares Germany's testing to the other Asian nations ranked so highly on the index you love so much.

Germany vs Thai.png

• Thanks 1

I cannot offer definitive info on the true state of affairs regarding Covid19 in Thailand, but I can offer anecdotal evidence as my niece is a nurse and has friends who work in several major hospitals in Chiang Rai. According to her, there has NOT been any upswing in people displaying respiratory or other common Covid symptoms getting admitted to hospitals, and I have asked her at least a couple of times a week since last February. 

If there were in fact many people dying of Covid19, I believe we would know about it quickly as people here are so glued to social media. 

So, I believe that imagining that there are many people sick and dying of Covid19 in Thailand is likely untrue, but with the lack of testing, it is near impossible to have a clear picture of the level of asymptomatic cases floating around. 

2 hours ago, b17 said:

I cannot offer definitive info on the true state of affairs regarding Covid19 in Thailand, but I can offer anecdotal evidence as my niece is a nurse and has friends who work in several major hospitals in Chiang Rai. According to her, there has NOT been any upswing in people displaying respiratory or other common Covid symptoms getting admitted to hospitals, and I have asked her at least a couple of times a week since last February. 

If there were in fact many people dying of Covid19, I believe we would know about it quickly as people here are so glued to social media. 

So, I believe that imagining that there are many people sick and dying of Covid19 in Thailand is likely untrue, but with the lack of testing, it is near impossible to have a clear picture of the level of asymptomatic cases floating around. 

You wouldn't know if many people are dying of Covid-19 if the dying person was not tested for Covid-19.

That fact is all you need to explain the low death figure for Covid-19 in Thailand. Literally the full explanation.

It's not culture, it's not the Wai, it's not vitamin D in fish, it's not masks, it's not curfew, it's not an app, it's not genetic advantage, it's the not testing.

Without proper testing and actual verified data, anecdotal evidence is meaningless. People could be avoiding hospitals now if they suspect Covid19 and be dying at home. The thing is without testing and proper evidence you just do not know the true extent of the virus in Thailand. However, you can look at the excess deaths in Thailand and you can see that between 2400 and 8400 excess deaths could be attributed to the virus, though of course without testing you will never know the actual number. However if the true figure is 8400 then Thailand has not done much better than most countries that were not badly affected, and certainly not worse. It would confirm that whatever governments do is useless. Sweden and Thailand tell the same story.

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 8:47 PM, richard_smith237 said:

And people argue that had Covid-19 stuck Thailand more severely the body couldn’t would have been notable... 

The question is: Would 20,000 additional deaths be noticeable? 

I’m highly cynical of Thailand’s results, particularly as its such a statistical outlier. 

This is one of those situations whereby I really do hope I am wrong and I’ve allowed my distrust of dictatorial governments to colour my bias. 

Thailands national mortality rate is 0.776 per thousand each year

Of 69.43 million people thats 532,250 people per year (44,354 people per month on average)

20,000 additional people died - would it be noticed?

Accounting for 50% of the average yearly deaths so far (Jan to June): 266,125 

And a ’hypothetical’ 20,000 additional deaths - thats and additional 7.5% deaths 

Would an additional 260 deaths per province, per month be noticed? (77 provinces in Thailand) 

Excellent point and of course the answer is "no", 260 additional deaths per province would not be noticed in Thailand.

However, I do not think 20,000 have died due to Covid19 in Thailand, from looking at excess death figures a figure around 8400 or so looks likely, which is highly comparable to other countries which have not been badly affected. So Thailand did no better or worse than most countries.

But of course you have to factor that Thais are less obsese and younger than many other countries' populations.