Thailand must welcome back Chinese tourists now says leading tourism chief

webfact

38 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

It's a coordinated attack by China. We see how the Chinese military are also belligerent recently picking fights with so many countries. 

Eventually, when the bombs start dropping, people will realize the Chinese are actually at war with us.

Who is actually spreading Amerona virus all over the world???

Now might be Thailand turns...

As expected, this news won't appear in TVF. ????

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-thailand-usa/joint-u-s-military-drills-get-thumbs-down-from-thais-amid-virus-fears-idUSKBN24Z1MU

image.png

7 hours ago, rasmus5150 said:

Good luck with Iphones, Ipads etc. Made in China

assembled in china from components made in other countries.  china only keeps about seven bucks from each thousand buck gadget.  sure, easy enough to move the assembly lines, but to where?

either consumers pay much more for free-range iphones, or production moves to autocratically-run countries with even worse conditions than china.

22 hours ago, madmitch said:

Totally disagree with you.

Foreign tourism is necessary to boost the economy. What's tthe point if most of the money is going elsewhere?

I would say that the Chinese are the last people that should be allowed in to Thailand, but they do need to do something fast about letting other tourists in for the sake of peoples jobs and the economy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jerolamo said:

because Thai authority talk about all foreigner as "tourists".

What ever they do in the country, speak Thai or not, married with Thai family or not, Thailand lover or not, save child in Thailand in the cave or not (i remember there were no Chinese in the cave).

But we all know that Thai authority is very far now from Thai population.

So, nice to meet another one that has fallen for the group pressure. 

No, they not see all like tourists. But to not be seen like one, you must live here one a year by year basis with yearly extensions made on a Non-O or Non-B or Non-OA visa. In some cases also Non-ED. However, all others that tries to cheat the system by renewing visas all the time, are to be seen as tourist, rightfully.

Such as the old saying Money no 1 and notes of xenophobia, lastly he who holds the most "rice" aka $ wins

Chinese spend the most- thus they win, or are wanted, I recall being the "rich" western as per usd values

Chinese culture is similar and many in LOS politics are thai-chinese, and both sides obsession with money

We all want to be back there for asst reasons, but better get used to this thai-chinese love affair aka $$$

52 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I would say that the Chinese are the last people that should be allowed in to Thailand, but they do need to do something fast about letting other tourists in for the sake of peoples jobs and the economy.

I didnt word my thoughts very well, as is obvious from comments and confused icons.

I'm not advocating tourists from China, or anywhere else for that matter right now, but I believe that there's no point even considering such tourists if the money isn't going to remain in Thailand and boost the Thai economy.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Keesters said:

Very little. 

i hear this constantly, but are there any figures to back that statement up?

even if, as some claim, the hotels are chinese fronts, they still employ desk clerks, maids, cleaners, busboys, waitresses, cooks, maintenance staff, spa attendants, cashiers, bookkeepers, etc.  they still buy furniture, furnishings, cleaning products, pool chemicals, uniforms, pots and pans and stoves, food, alcohol, etc.  the transport companies hire drivers and attendants, buy tires and diesel fuel, pay for maintenance and repairs.  the tourist sites collect fees, employ staff, hire entertainers, sell souvenirs.  and of course king power.....

• Thanks 1

On 8/3/2020 at 10:25 AM, madmitch said:

Foreign tourism is necessary to boost the economy. What's tthe point if most of the money is going elsewhere?

Where is the Chinese tourism dollar going?

17 hours ago, Guderian said:

I guess we need to hope for some more major spikes in C19 in China to put an end to this wishful thinking on the part of the Thai tourism industry. 

Maybe a good old fashioned wrath of god plague of locust, flood and drought with some hell style fireballs from the sun....or maybe god has already begun with the death and destruction of the godless masses............

Anyone in their right mind knows now is not the right time to let hoards of tourists in,  especially the Chinese, so it makes me wonder, do these stories go out in Thai language as well as Thai visa?, if  so, then surely stories like this are to boost  the moral of Thai businesses, and nothing more then that, keep the locals  happy, by feeding them bull...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rabas said:

Fake news.  The health official said this (large) facility has seen several outbreaks over the last 10 years, often noravirus or flu,  it's certainly nothing out of the ordinary, he said.

China, back to you.

Pneumonia cases in hot July? Nothing out of the ordinary?

On 8/3/2020 at 10:25 AM, madmitch said:

Foreign tourism means chinese tourism. They'll believe Chinas lying numbers, and they'll be the only ones to qualify without quarentine

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Paul DS said:

"The pandemic has left the Chinese largely friendless around the world and it's time that Thailand's "special relationship" with the Chinese was resumed.  "

Yes, thats right no one wants them.....except Thailand!

I wonder why?

Authoritarian states are only buddies the usurpers can get - being one themselves. Birds of feather and all that. Thailand has been sliding into the abyss since 2014.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

i hear this constantly, but are there any figures to back that statement up?

even if, as some claim, the hotels are chinese fronts, they still employ desk clerks, maids, cleaners, busboys, waitresses, cooks, maintenance staff, spa attendants, cashiers, bookkeepers, etc.  they still buy furniture, furnishings, cleaning products, pool chemicals, uniforms, pots and pans and stoves, food, alcohol, etc.  the transport companies hire drivers and attendants, buy tires and diesel fuel, pay for maintenance and repairs.  the tourist sites collect fees, employ staff, hire entertainers, sell souvenirs.  and of course king power.....

I have become friendly with the manager of a small hotel that is one in a large chain of hotels in Pattaya. He occasionally gets sent Chinese tourists. He receives no monetary compensation at all for housing and feeding them. Head office keeps 100% of the revenue. To make his hotel work he has to rely on cash paying guests, generally farang. The income from those cash paying guests has to pay for all his Cambodian cleaning staff, the morning and evening buffet, and any other cash payments he needs to make. The Chinese contribute NOTHING to the day to day running of the hotel. That is all kept by head office. I'm lead to believe this same system operate at other hotels in the group.

So little is indeed true. 

• Like 2

On 8/3/2020 at 4:06 AM, webfact said:

A leading tourism chief has said that it is time Thailand opens up again to foreign tourists and Chinese tourists in particular. 

So the editor did his job and got the reaction from all the commentators on TV.

The heading got everyone going by only mentioning the Chinese, however it clearly states in the first sentence " Foreign tourists"

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Be careful what you wish for. If China was as successful as Taiwan,  the Chinese GDP would be twice as US, and 4 times bigger in PPP.  The Chinese multinationals would dominate most of the sectors, the renmimbi could be the world's reserve currency, and quite a few posters here could only allow trailer parks and 70 yo toothless grandma.

I wouldn't really mind. As long as they get it fair & square, game on.

21 hours ago, dave moir said:

Chinese come and go to places Chinese own! The money made goes straight back to China Thailand hardly get a bean!

That is so true.

The vast amount of money that Farangs spend here stays here creating jobs for the Thais.

Farangs also sent money back here for their wifes and girlfriends when they are back in their home countries, which helps the Thai economy

Edited by Aussie Col
missed out some words

On 8/3/2020 at 10:24 AM, AndrewMciver said:

CHINA CHINA CHINA CHINA 

The countries obsession with China is horrendous. This economic disaster Thailand is facing is because of China. Yet there they begging them to give them more. 

Blaming usually is a way to deflect of ones own failure. Just look at the usa blame gaming China for political reasons and trying to cover up their own inability to deal with this crisis.

It seems more like you has a CHINA obsession. Thailand has good and positive relations going back a long way in history. China is practically a neighbor, with a huge market. Why Thailand can't have relations with China? Isnt it just based on fear and jealousy? Thailand should be on the usa leash and not flirt with China?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Keesters said:

I have become friendly with the manager of a small hotel that is one in a large chain of hotels in Pattaya. He occasionally gets sent Chinese tourists. He receives no monetary compensation at all for housing and feeding them. Head office keeps 100% of the revenue. To make his hotel work he has to rely on cash paying guests, generally farang. The income from those cash paying guests has to pay for all his Cambodian cleaning staff, the morning and evening buffet, and any other cash payments he needs to make. The Chinese contribute NOTHING to the day to day running of the hotel. That is all kept by head office. I'm lead to believe this same system operate at other hotels in the group.

So little is indeed true. 

thank you for that interesting anecdote from the manager of one hotel in an apparently poorly-run chain.  but why wouldn't he demand some form of compensation from the head office?  strange system.

but i'm more interested in real numbers, not just one guy's complaints.  come to think of it, maybe it's karma for employing slave-wage cambodians when there are unemployed thails that can do the work?