Thailand must welcome back Chinese tourists now says leading tourism chief

webfact

4 hours ago, xtof2 said:

One day, it's yes. The next day, no. And on...and on...and on. They're never able to make up their mind on this.

My only issue with the Chinese is that they're always the first ones on prawns and lobster's tails at my hotel's brunch????.

I would love either some hotels for Chinese only (and some with no Chinese) or 1 week in, 1 week off.

Call it segregation, I am fine with that !

That reminds me of racism, is that not what was practized in USA when the blacks and whites were segregated in different buses etc?

Move forward not backward.

1 minute ago, warcy said:

Do not blame any country for the virus. Virus doesn't differentiate between races or nationalities. 

let's not go into conspiracy theory on who released the virus on China in the first place. Would China release the virus on its own citizens? No, it was a foreign country.

Well, at least because of the covid the "four straws one beer" Indians got a bit of reprieve here...???? Haven't seen an Indian bashing thread for a while.

• Haha 2

I wonder how many Thai people genuinely truly want Chinese tourists here. My most recent experience over the last few years has people found them a bit rude, ill-mannered. Countries like Laos to test them, due to the arrogance and bad manners.

Thailand has managed to avoid colonization and to keep its independence. I certainly hope the powers-that-be are smart enough to see through what the Chinese are trying to do and world domination.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NB1986 said:

So the people who are working in Thailand, are married in Thailand, living as retirees in Thailand will have to go 14 days quarantine, and have insurance covering 100.000$, while Chinese hordes will go as tourists with probably one PCR test before departure from China and one before e tering China well done Thailand, it is obvious that the government is in real trouble, the economy is in big trouble, you dont do that if you are not desperate. 

of course not.  this is just a proposed opening plan.  if tourists are allowed in without quarantine, then surely quarantine would be rescinded for most -- excluding the worst-hit hot zones, and countries with no apparent containment strategy.

the insurance is really a minor issue.  travel insurance for tourists with covid19 cover can be bought for less than $50 for two weeks, easily folded into the price of a package tour, or included in the price of airfare as at least one airline is now doing.

insurance for foreigners living/working/spousing in thailand is a different question.  some form of valid long-term expat health insurance should be required.  real insurance, not the carpy offerings from the limited thai carriers.  gofundme should not count as insurance coverage.

5 hours ago, madmitch said:

Totally disagree with you.

Foreign tourism is necessary to boost the economy. What's tthe point if most of the money is going elsewhere?

Right, unless you invest in education and welfare for your citizens, which I guess is just pie in the sky in capitalistic societies.  Everything has to be greedy companies raking in maximum profit all the time, with government skimming whatever leftovers the oligarchy throws its way.  If you just levy a tax on the wealthy and make high quality education cheap and easy to get in Thailand, it will benefit far more than opening up to Chinese tourists who will destroy your landscape with ugly hotels and trash. 

18 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

A statement like that in America, would draw cries of racism from liberals.  Favoring one type of tourist over others...

They don't do woke around here. Or in many places in Asia in general. It's a white man's disease.

• Like 1

Seeing that most global Countries are protecting their citizens

from COVID 19 with closed borders, it would be criminal for Thailand to open its borders

NOW to mainly Chinese without the proper Healthcare protections in place.

But, of course, the Minister of Tourism is only concerned about

monetary matters. Silly me. 

Resident foreigners with families and homes here but caught outside of Thailand due to

border closures, they can just eat crow, it seems like.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, eastendanto said:

If they let any tourist nation access at the moment and as a subsequence your nearest and dearest  passes away due to being infected by Covid directly or indirectly due to opening of the borders would you still be of the same opinion? At the best of times Thai government officials constantly contradict eachother in the daily news (left hand/right hand) about what should be or not should be... perhaps rather than stumbling from one idea to the next they should have spent all the time since Covid putting a coherent plan together that supports the people and businesses    

I'm not advocating tourism per se at this time. My comment purely relates to the allegation of greed.

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

If you want those 6-9 million people to sacrifice for you, what are you going to sacrifice for them?

This is the best part of your statement, a question that no one in the government or authorities is willing to answer. 

Thailand has dozens of military hospitals that could serve as cover centers for treatment that are isolated in military camps, while ordinary hospitals run as usual and take in military patients. Just another option of a Weill managed response to controlled opening of the country to tourism.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, warcy said:

Do not blame any country for the virus. Virus doesn't differentiate between races or nationalities. 

let's not go into conspiracy theory on who released the virus on China in the first place. Would China release the virus on its own citizens? No, it was a foreign country.

OMG! Get with the program! Do some research on the Chinese Communist Party!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

The Thai's have no problem welcoming back the Chinese who spread the virus in the first place and never would call them dirty like Anutin describes Farang. Despite the fact that Chinese are well known for spitting, letting their children defecate in restaurants on the floor and public places, extremely bad mannered and abrupt. But because they spend money in their millions and go, they are most welcome despite the dangers they pose to the public. Not so the Farang who brought much wealth to Thailand when the Chinese were nowhere to be seen. There will be no quarantine for people who only have a two week vacation at most. Either the government will relent and drop the ludicrous requirements or face a tourism winter of discontent.  

• Like 2

You can't have it both ways, bud.  If all the money goes back to China why do we need them in the first place?  Well, obviously, all the money does not go back to China.  And, all the thousands and thousands of Thai workers with a job in the tourist industry and related businesses are not going to give a rat's ass who owns the business employing them as long as they are paid.  Same as a Thai worker making Toyotas.     

i feel this is a step forward.in a thai way,it will lead to an opening of the economy.thats the most important thing and govt people are talking about this possibility,a distinct improvement,the north korea model can not be sustained!i feel that if a covid free test several days prior to entry is obtained along with a test at the  airport that is negative,isolating in your accommodation 1 or 2 nights whilst you await the result alls good for everyone.why china?why the so called special relationship,most thais dislike them for the same reasons most of us do,the rudeness selfishness ignorance and greed.other nations should be prioritised and of course if thailand wishes to ban dangerous countries such as latam and USA yes of course.it shouldnt be based on bias though.asian countries are good to go even singapore philippines hk and japan.if hk has a spike it must be from china where else so the figs from the mainland are more lies.so i hope they let in people who have a current visa a good place to start and also a covid neg test,all the other stuff is mindless.millions will get a job back!a life line to many businesses hotels.we must all learn to live with this thing and adapt

6 hours ago, anchadian said:

If and when the Chinese do come flooding back, will they be required to undergo a 14 day quarantine at their own expense?

No, I didn't think so.

14 days quarantine? - They usually come for a 5 to 10-day holiday, meaning they would miss their flight back home... 

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good that nonody will listen to this clown. For a change, what about rolling out a red ( non commie carpet ) for well spending Western visitors who:

* did not <deleted>** up the world

" who do not wash their feet in sinks

* who do not shout allover the place

* who do.not spit on the floor

* who do not come in hordes and destroy nature and environment

* who just behave like civilzed humans

The country needs tourism, the country DOES NOT need Chinese tourism

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

China is in trouble," he said. "No one wants Chinese tourists but we (in Thailand) should welcome them back. We have always had a special relationship with the Chinese". 

And what about the deadly China virus that has western nations reeling in disaster? Is he trying to reduce the population here? And increase stimulus handouts? 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, warcy said:

Have you ever been to China? - Men and women spitting everywhere, and men peeing wherever they want. (Not so long ago, it was common for Chinese train travellers, who travelled home for the long holidays, and who had to wait for their train, to just release "#2" right there onto the tracks)... - Even if the Chinese did not release the virus on purpose, it could still have been released due to lax safety procedures and negligence.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Government Ministers have lost the plot. Yes China is now becoming very assertive and may well compel Thailand to admit their Citizens sooner rather than later after all it is they who are providing finance for the third airport and aviation industry etc etc but beware of Chinese bringing gifts and think of the consequences of total Chinese domination.

No sure where Surawat Akaraworamat, has gained his information as China is having another outbreak of this covid19 virus which would make it very unwise to open it's boarders to any country as Thailand is one of the very few countries worldwide that is free from covid19 spreading from person to person.

• Like 1