Shipping personal effects to Thailand on NON O Visa based on Marriage

eastcst84

Hello,

I need to send about 40kg of my personal used clothing and shoes to Bangkok from Vietnam ahead of my hopeful near future travels there. I have searched all over these forums and google but am getting mixed information on how to bypass the custom fees and taxes.

I will be on a Non O based on marriage and I read on this link below that you can ship your personal goods through post office preferably, you can bypass the customs fees as long as you fill out correct paperwork and have a list of contents and passport showing your Visa.

https://siam-shipping.com/importing-personal-effects-thailand/

If anyone can assist me on this, it would be much appreciated.

6 hours ago, cmarshall said:

Ship them in your Thai wife's name.  If she has been abroad and hasn't shipped household goods back to Thailand within some period, which I think is two years, then she can send them in duty-free.  We did that when we moved here.

Hello.

Appreciate the info!

Is there any specific way to go about this? Certain couriers, paperwork, weight limits, etc??

She was in the US with me a little over a year ago and don't believe she has had any international shipments.

When you say "Ship them in your Thai wife's name" As she is also the recipient as well, how does that work? Maybe just her roommates name at same address?

Just confused on how I would specify all this to the post office here in Vietnam.

Thanks again.

Edited by eastcst84

49 minutes ago, eastcst84 said:

Hello.

Appreciate the info!

Is there any specific way to go about this? Certain couriers, paperwork, weight limits, etc??

She was in the US with me a little over a year ago and don't believe she has had any international shipments.

When you say "Ship them in your Thai wife's name" As she is also the recipient as well, how does that work? Maybe just her roommates name at same address?

Just confused on how I would specify all this to the post office here in Vietnam.

Thanks again.

Also, she was in the US for me a little under a year...I believe I have read..it has to be over a year..for this to work as well?