TG to Europe??

moontang

I am using Star Alliance miles to go to the US...most of the options involve flying TG to Europe.  Besides the obvious issues of getting back to BKK, when would it be semi safe to use TG to Europe.  I won't lose any money, but a last minute cancellation could make it much more difficult to get another flight, due to lack of short term availability with miles.  The big advantage of flying through Europe is I get a pretty nice check if they cause me to kiss my connection in the US, but that doesn't apply to EVA.  Should I just take ANA thru HND and be done with it?  Or should I try a EU carrier.?  The HND flight has a five hour layover, and that is too long, early in the trip, but not terrible.  Would appreciate some sensible responses.

We've done all the various permutations and a lot depends where in the US you are headed. If it's the East coast, then use the miles and hope the EU-US flight operates. I've flown many times from BKK-BOS.

If you are headed to the West coast use your miles to Japan, either HND or NRT, then buy an onwards flight.

We now live in the midwest, where it's really a crapshoot which way you go, either east or west. My wife always prefers to fly to either ORD or DFW and then connect through NRT

I work for Delta, and I would have to say the EU flights although starting to come back are a little shakier than the flights from Japan, so I'd look at using Star Alliance miles on ANA

Hope that helps

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

We've done all the various permutations and a lot depends where in the US you are headed. If it's the East coast, then use the miles and hope the EU-US flight operates. I've flown many times from BKK-BOS.

If you are headed to the West coast use your miles to Japan, either HND or NRT, then buy an onwards flight.

We now live in the midwest, where it's really a crapshoot which way you go, either east or west. My wife always prefers to fly to either ORD or DFW and then connect through NRT

I work for Delta, and I would have to say the EU flights although starting to come back are a little shakier than the flights from Japan, so I'd look at using Star Alliance miles on ANA

Hope that helps

Going to the east coast.  But speaking of Delta..I have 45000 miles I would like to use there..but over the last few weeks I have been getting crazy quotes on award Tix..like nonsensical.  Korean would be fine, and seems like one of the few options.  Did the move the goal posts at Delta or just too few flights?  They were the first to give lifetime miles, and I didn't stay on top of it.  Is KLM an option.  Might even try later December, at this point.  

2 minutes ago, moontang said:

Going to the east coast.  But speaking of Delta..I have 45000 miles I would like to use there..but over the last few weeks I have been getting crazy quotes on award Tix..like nonsensical.  Korean would be fine, and seems like one of the few options.  Did the move the goal posts at Delta or just too few flights?  They were the first to give lifetime miles, and I didn't stay on top of it.  Is KLM an option.  Might even try later December, at this point.  

It's just the lack of international flights at the moment.

If you can get to Schiphol, Delta is flying limited flights to EWR, LGA and JFK.

I don't think KLM is offering anything out of BKK, but if you have Delta miles you might be able to use them to CDG on Air France, I think they are still flying to BKK, then onwards to the US on Delta

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

It's just the lack of international flights at the moment.

If you can get to Schiphol, Delta is flying limited flights to EWR, LGA and JFK.

I don't think KLM is offering anything out of BKK, but if you have Delta miles you might be able to use them to CDG on Air France, I think they are still flying to BKK, then onwards to the US on Delta

I had checked under main cabin, instead of basic economy..but it is acting crazy..but yes, no flights.  Will keep in mind air France..thanks.  ual moved their goal post..44000 for a one way, from 40, and was 32,500 not that long ago.

1 minute ago, tso310 said:

I saw a link somewhere on TV to book one way from BKK to LHR or other repat flight destinations on Thai. You can't do it on the normal Thai booking page.

I am doing it through United, but that could be helpful for others, thanks.  

Bottom line with all international travel right now, it all sucks!

Even domestically, I've seen flights cancelled within hours of departure it's all so fluid.

I always tell people now, don't fly anywhere that you can't drive back from!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Bottom line with all international travel right now, it all sucks!

Even domestically, I've seen flights cancelled within hours of departure it's all so fluid.

I always tell people now, don't fly anywhere that you can't drive back from!

A family friend got stranded in Ohio on 9-11..he ended up driving an empty uhaul truck one way, home..as there were zero rental cars available.

Edited by moontang

8 hours ago, moontang said:

Should I just take ANA thru HND and be done with it?

I mean it really depends on which routing has award availability?

Without studying the options, this is a challenging question to answer.

Assuming the NH flight for BKK-HND connects to a HND-XXX, I'd take that option, all other things being equal. If available, I might look at BR via TPE?

What is your destination? Is tehre a HND-XXX non-syop on NH?

When do you plan to fly?

Which *A carrier's miles are you using?

Class of Service?

Does your status allow you to cancel and redeposit miles without penalty?

Make sure you review YQ (fuel surcharges). Some partners may charge this, - it can be hundreds of dollars, others may not.

I don't think you can transit HND-NRT, in case you were looking at that.

I would NOT, under any circumstances, book a *A award ticket which involves any TG metal.

Finally, consider purchasing a one-way paid ticket, say on Qatar via DOH. QR has a lot of flights, and a very generous change/refund policy.

Edited by mtls2005

39 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I mean it really depends on which routing has award availability?

Without studying the options, this is a challenging question to answer.

Assuming the NH flight for BKK-HND connects to a HND-XXX, I'd take that option, all other things being equal. If available, I might look at BR via TPE?

What is your destination? Is tehre a HND-XXX non-syop on NH?

When do you plan to fly?

Which *A carrier's miles are you using?

Class of Service?

Does your status allow you to cancel and redeposit miles without penalty?

Make sure you review YQ (fuel surcharges). Some partners may charge this, - it can be hundreds of dollars, others may not.

I don't think you can transit HND-NRT, in case you were looking at that.

I would NOT, under any circumstances, book a *A award ticket which involves any TG metal.

Finally, consider purchasing a one-way paid ticket, say on Qatar via DOH. QR has a lot of flights, and a very generous change/refund policy.

The rules are lenient on redepositing the miles and refunding the fees.  The fees are between 50 and 90 USD for the one way.  I was using American airlines miles on Cathay, and that was 72 usd, but they cancelled the 17 October flight.  It is more about a last minute cancellation leaving me with zero reasonable options. The ANA flight to HND, gets me all the way home, with no change of airport in Japan.  It's only negative is the five hour layover at HND.  AA doesn't let you use miles for Quatar, even though they are partners.  Did the EVA route through Vienna last year, and they got me there a day late, but I got a room and about 500 USD in compensation.  I guess I would prefer going through Europe, but have serious doubts about TG..October is too soon to get back in, but what are the chances they will still be flying in November or December.  It is a fairly complex equation.  Destination is CHO, which has connections from the major east coast hubs, except Boston.  CHO is served by Delta, United, and AA.  

Edited by moontang

7 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I don't think KLM is offering anything out of BKK,

KLM have been running 3 or 4 a week from BKK to AMS for a while now.

12 minutes ago, moontang said:

AA doesn't let you use miles for Quatar, even though they are partners.

Is that a recent change?  You used to be able to use them, even though the flights were not displayed on aa.com.  See here for explanation of how to search and book.

https://onemileatatime.com/how-to-redeem-american-miles-on-qatar-airways/

• Thanks 1

Interesting, but someone mentioned that AA doesn't let you go to Asia over the Atlantic.  AA will get me from BKK to CHO (close to IAD) for 37,500 miles, but Cathay is problematic at the moment.

I would probably go NH via HND; what is the option for HND-XXX??

NH has been flying reliably ex-BKK (NH 850) and to the U.S. for a few weeks.

It's the simplest, easiest, most-straight-foward, lowest-cost option based on what you've said here. It also offers the most protection, in the case of IRROPS. A five-hour layover? Can't see that being a deal-breaker?

FWIW, I think you can now (the article linked is from 2015) search QR award space on the AA site.

Further, it looks like an Asia 2 (to /from Thailand) - North America award only allows connections through Asia 1, so this might eliminate a through award on QR at 37.5 k (economy).

AA doesn't charge YQ on any partner award flights except BA.

There may be awards on BR (a *A partner) BKK-TPE-USA (JFK/ORD/LAX), but maybe just weekly flights, so limited award availability obviously.

You can transit TPE now, AFAIK.

Edited by mtls2005