Shipping personal items OUT of Thailand

Crash999

We are in the process of moving to Hong Kong and have around 6 cartons of product to send over but have run into some issues.

DHL wants us to itemize and assign value to every item in the shipment which is hundreds of items when including the small plastic toys for our daughter. In addition for stuff like shoes they want us to provide proof that the shoes are real and provide receipts. Apparently this isn't for HK customs but for Thai customs.

No idea how I'm going to prove that my 5 year-old Nike shoes are real yet alone somehow get a receipt for them. It's a non-starter a source of stress as we are supposed to fly out this week and if our stuff is stuck here it'll be a disaster.

In the past I've been able to send boxes of stuff to relatives overseas just writing "gifts" in the description and adding a value. Not sure why this time is any different, except maybe the amount of cartons being 6 instead of 1. 

We are going to check with FedEx and a moving company to see if there's any better way to send personal effects.

Do any of you have experience dealing with this sort of issue? 

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

To update, boxes of our personal stuff were detained by Thai customs and rejected due to batteries (small button cells in our daughter’s crocs) and alcohol in perfume and cosmetics. Both were deemed hazardous cargo. We had to repack and ship without that stuff. 

Strangest thing was those Crocs were actually bought from Amazon and shipped to Thailand. So coming in it was okay but going out it wasn’t. Thai customs in a nutshell!