Problems getting married - because of current amnesty ?

I was able to get married with an agent from one of the posters in this thread ????

I think it makes sense to ask the marriage visa question here instead of opening a new thread:

What are my next steps now after obtaining the marriage certificate when I plan to get a 1 year Non-O based on marriage ?

Should I get the extension first for "visiting my wife" or is this not issued at the moment ? And if it is, will the extension be on top of the amnesty from 26th september on or from the day I apply for it ?

And do I need to apply for it in Huahin where I mainly live nowadays or in Bangkok where we got married ?

28 minutes ago, fullofmax said:

What are my next steps now after obtaining the marriage certificate when I plan to get a 1 year Non-O based on marriage ?

You will not be applying for a non-o visa. That can only be done with a visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

You will be applying for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage. You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank on the day you apply for 2 months or proof of 40 baht income.

The only problem you may have is that your original entry to the country with a non-ed visa since they could inist you need a non-o visa entry. You will need to check with immigration in Hua Hin about it.

28 minutes ago, fullofmax said:

Should I get the extension first for "visiting my wife" or is this not issued at the moment ? And if it is, will the extension be on top of the amnesty from 26th september on or from the day I apply for it ?

You can apply for 60 day extension to visit your wife.

I have seen no reports of any office issuing a 60 day extension to the 27th of September. You need to check with Hua Hin immigration office.

Where you registered your marriage means nothing when dealing with immigration. The only requirement is that you have to apply at the office where you're living.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will not be applying for a non-o visa. That can only be done with a visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

You will be apply for a extension of stay based upon marriage. You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank on the day you apply for 2 months or proof of 40 baht income.

The only problem you may have is that your original entry to the country with a non-ed visa since they could inist you need a non-o visa entry. You will need to check with immigration in Hua Hin about it.

You can apply for 60 day extension to visit your wife.

I have seen no reports of any office issuing a 60 day extension to the 27th of September. You need to check with Hua Hin immigration office.

Where you registered your marriage means nothing when dealing with immigration. The only requirement is that you have to apply at the office where you're living.

I will do that, thank you !

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

@fullofmax

At SiSaKet IO they confirmed to an applicant with a Non Imm O-A Visa and expired permission to stay, that he can apply till 26 September for the 60-day extension of stay and that it will be provided with start-date 27 September.
He needs the time as he only has a Village Marriage, and will thus have to arrange his official thai marriage in the coming weeks.  That 60-day extension will then provide him again with more time, so that he can meet the 2-month seasoning for his financial funds (which he didn't start yet) required when applying for his FIRST 1-year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O-A Visa.

>> Note: If your local IO is not willing to have your 60-day extension of stay start on 27 September, but insists on having it start on date of application, it' would normally just be a matter of waiting till final days of the Amnesty to do that application.

But it is recommended to enquire at your IO if postponing the application of your 60-day extension of stay, would impact their willingness to handle that 60-day extension application in the final days of the Amnesty, as well as their willingness to handle the subsequent 1-year extension of stay you will be applying for subsequently.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

@fullofmax

At SiSaKet IO they confirmed to an applicant with a Non Imm O-A Visa and expired permission to stay, that he can apply till 26 September for the 60-day extension of stay and that it will be provided with start-date 27 September.
He needs the time as he only has a Village Marriage, and will thus have to arrange his official thai marriage in the coming weeks.  That 60-day extension will then provide him again with more time, so that he can meet the 2-month seasoning for his financial funds (which he didn't start yet) required when applying for his FIRST 1-year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O-A Visa.

>> Note: If your local IO is not willing to have your 60-day extension of stay start on 27 September, but insists on having it start on date of application, it' would normally just be a matter of waiting till final days of the Amnesty to do that application.

But it is recommended to enquire at your IO if postponing the application of your 60-day extension of stay, would impact their willingness to handle that 60-day extension application in the final days of the Amnesty, as well as their willingness to handle the subsequent 1-year extension of stay you will be applying for subsequently.

Thanks, I will make sure that I also get the extension subsequent and not on the day I apply ????

• Like 1

On 8/6/2020 at 6:45 PM, fullofmax said:

They also wanted my passport "translated" (whatever that means) and that document then legislated by the german embasssy - he mentioned however that Bangrak doesnt want that passport translation (which is true).

I think they want a copy of your German passport details page certified by the Embassy. The Embassy cannot certify the document in Thai. I am pretty sure you  then need a translation of this  copy certified by the  Thai authorities (MFA).

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

I think they want a copy of your German passport details page certified by the Embassy. The Embassy cannot certify the document in Thai. I am pretty sure you  then need a translation of this  copy certified by the  Thai authorities (MFA).

That's fully correct.  Some amphoes want a 'Free-to-Marry' certificate from your Embassy as well as an Embassy certified copy of the ID-page of your passport. 

Both documents need to be translated in thai and certified as correct by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

With those 4 documents you can then apply at your local Amphoe to get officially married (obviously with your thai wife attending too, with her thai ID-card).  The Kor Ror 3 (thai marriage Certificate) as well as the Kor Ror 2 (certificate of thai marriage registration) will then be provided on the spot.  And those Kor Ror documents are required when applying for a 60-day or 1-year extension of stay for reason of marriage at your local IO.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

That's fully correct.  Some amphoes want a 'Free-to-Marry' certificate from your Embassy as well as an Embassy certified copy of the ID-page of your passport. 

Both documents need to be translated in thai and certified as correct by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

With those 4 documents you can then apply at your local Amphoe to get officially married (obviously with your thai wife attending too, with her thai ID-card).  The Kor Ror 3 (thai marriage Certificate) as well as the Kor Ror 2 (certificate of thai marriage registration) will then be provided on the spot.  And those Kor Ror documents are required when applying for a 60-day or 1-year extension of stay for reason of marriage at your local IO.

Yes needed a free to marry certificate certified at the Embassy  translated and certified at MFA. It was quite an extensive process including finding an Amphur without excessive extra requirements

Edited by Wongkitlo
Edit
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

Yes needed a free to marry certificate certified at the Embassy  translated and certified at MFA. It was quite an extensive process including finding an Amphur without excessive extra requirements

Good that you mention it > if the local Amphur is not co-operative or requiring additional documents or evidence that are difficult/inconvenient to get, it's just a matter of going to a different Amphur that is more accommodating.  Any Amphur in Thailand can register your thai marriage (when providing the documents they require), and any amphur can provide you with an updated copy of the Kor Ror 2 (certificate of thai marriage registration) which will cost between 5 and 20 THB.  Such updated Kor Ror 2 (not older than 1 week) can be required by the local IO when applying for an extension based on marriage.

25 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Good that you mention it > if the local Amphur is not co-operative or requiring additional documents or evidence that are difficult/inconvenient to get, it's just a matter of going to a different Amphur that is more accommodating.  Any Amphur in Thailand can register your thai marriage (when providing the documents they require), and any amphur can provide you with an updated copy of the Kor Ror 2 (certificate of thai marriage registration) which will cost between 5 and 20 THB.  Such updated Kor Ror 2 (not older than 1 week) can be required by the local IO when applying for an extension based on marriage.

Hi Peter. My experience in August till October last year  was the whole process  was very difficult. Each Amphur had different requirements. Send papers back to Bangkok to be re checked(1 month wait), interview with her family member who could vouch for me, check of my finance to see I could support my wife(she has more money than me), interview with the head of the Amphur to be sure I was a good person. There are some in Bangkok where people arrive at 2am to get a place in the queue from reports. I spent weeks Amphur shopping till I found one on a small island with only a little fuss. There is a lot of info online about the troubles people have had with the process. Like anything paying an agent will take away a lot of troubles.

7 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

Hi Peter. My experience in August till October last year  was the whole process  was very difficult. Each Amphur had different requirements. Send papers back to Bangkok to be re checked(1 month wait), interview with her family member who could vouch for me, check of my finance to see I could support my wife(she has more money than me), interview with the head of the Amphur to be sure I was a good person. There are some in Bangkok where people arrive at 2am to get a place in the queue from reports. I spent weeks Amphur shopping till I found one on a small island with only a little fuss. There is a lot of info online about the troubles people have had with the process. Like anything paying an agent will take away a lot of troubles.

HI Wongkitlo,

I don't doubt your experience, surely in the light of Thailand's consistent inconsistency in bureaucratic procedures at different offices.

If at all possible, visiting the Amphur catering to your thai wife's home-place will often be easier, especially if she is accompagnied by the local poo yai baan (village head-man) or if she has connections with respected figures in the area served by the Amphur.

7 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

HI Wongkitlo,

I don't doubt your experience, surely in the light of Thailand's consistent inconsistency in bureaucratic procedures at different offices.

If at all possible, visiting the Amphur catering to your thai wife's home-place will often be easier, especially if she is accompagnied by the local poo yai baan (village head-man) or if she has connections with respected figures in the area served by the Amphur.

Her hometown is just outside Pattaya. We went to Banglamung Amphur with her uncle. We walked in and several people working said hi to him. They were actually the worst-1 month to send papers back to BKK and an interview with me about finances. Uncle even offered a present for their troubles but no change. Funny I heard someone else say they just went in and no troubles. Maybe we picked the wrong day.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

Her hometown is just outside Pattaya. We went to Banglamung Amphur with her uncle. We walked in and several people working said hi to him. They were actually the worst-1 month to send papers back to BKK and an interview with me about finances. Uncle even offered a present for their troubles but no change. Funny I heard someone else say they just went in and no troubles. Maybe we picked the wrong day.

Maybe they wanted to impress the well-connected uncle of your thai wife, with how serious they take their job, by acting overly thorough and punctual on your application.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Maybe they wanted to impress the well-connected uncle of your thai wife, with how serious they take their job, by acting overly thorough and punctual on your application.  

He is just a gardener working for the sub amphur????

• Haha 1

On 8/6/2020 at 9:29 AM, greggraham said:

I'm on Amnesty. I got my affidavit from the British embassy, translations, MFA certified papers, and then everything processed by the Amphur in July. We were officially married on July 20th. That part did cost 20bht @thaibeachlovers, the plastic folder cost as much as the marriage certificate. 

Sadly my local immigration won't offer my a non-0 or 60 day extension though, as of yesterday. So even if you achieve the first 5 steps, doesn't mean it gives you legitimacy to stay here. 

I can confirm the same experience. We were married on August 13th in Banglamung (very helpful and nice staff, I recommend it if you can go there) and went to Chonburi immigration on August 14th. Unfortunately the IO seemed particularly disinterested by the fact that we were married and simply pointed at the September 26th sign, saying "leave Thailand and come back, it's fine". I guess he hasn't seen the news.

I'm not even on amnesty yet, with a POS until August 18th. As the IO didn't process / record anything we'll try again at Chaeng Watthana on Monday 17th but I don't have high hopes.

He did seem perplexed by my PE visa. Reading around it seems IOs expect a tourist or existing non-O before granting an extension and the only way to get one is to leave. Obviously this wouldn't be a big problem pre-COVID. @greggraham what type of visa were you on before amnesty, and which immigration office did you go to?

@fullofmax If you do manage to get married, be prepared that it might not help your stay. Good luck.

4 hours ago, L0cky said:

I can confirm the same experience. We were married on August 13th in Banglamung (very helpful and nice staff, I recommend it if you can go there) and went to Chonburi immigration on August 14th. Unfortunately the IO seemed particularly disinterested by the fact that we were married and simply pointed at the September 26th sign, saying "leave Thailand and come back, it's fine". I guess he hasn't seen the news.

He means, "Agent only service for this." 

I'm not even on amnesty yet, with a POS until August 18th. As the IO didn't process / record anything we'll try again at Chaeng Watthana on Monday 17th but I don't have high hopes.

You will need to appear to LIVE in Bangkok (specifically, the service-area for Chiang Wattana office), to get service there.  Be prepared to rent a place for this.   They should, at the very least, give you the 60-days, if you can show a landlord-signed copy of your rental-contract + landlord's ID card.

He did seem perplexed by my PE visa. Reading around it seems IOs expect a tourist or existing non-O before granting an extension and the only way to get one is to leave.

A PE visa is akin to "tourist" - not a "Non-Immigrant" type, so your first step would be to get a "change of visa type" (aka "conversion") - which would be a Non-O 90-Day Stamp, in your case. 

The cost is reported at 15k Baht to the person who handles them in Chonburi - see the "agency" next door, who work with her (facing the front of the building, on the left, in the same parking-lot).   Agents on Soi-Bukow (just north of S. Pattaya Rd) may be a couple K-baht cheaper.

In the last 30 days of the 90-days you get, you can apply for the 1 year extension.  This is not a happy-process at Chonburi, in particular - but can deal with that issue later.

Which ever office or path you choose (likely 60-days first, as you need 15-days (or more) remaining to apply for a Non-O 90-day), I suggest you Act NOW, before your existing permitted-stay ends, as then you are on the "covid-extension" - which may add additional hurdles.

Edited by JackThompson

Much appreciated @JackThompson for the direction. I guess as a TE member I didn't really get to see this stuff first hand as you can simply call TE for the slightest problem, so I'm only just facing the reality of how they usually work.

So I'd have to go through this dodgy process for a 60 day, then 90 day, then 1 year. I think I've had enough of the uncertainty.

I'm now actually looking at the process and implications for my wife to come to the UK with me instead, and I'm surprised to find that it seems a lot easier.

Decisions, decisions and only 1 day to decide.

Edited by L0cky

On 8/14/2020 at 12:22 PM, Peter Denis said:

With those 4 documents you can then apply at your local Amphoe to get officially married

I've had these four documents for awhile now. Freedom to Marry, certified passport from the US Embassy, then both translated and stamped by the MFA.

My school is now working on my Non-B. They've suggested to me that I might want to hurry and get married, so that'd give me another visa path should they run into trouble.

But now I'm seeing these stories about this "crackdown" on getting married around BKK. Ok fine, let's go get married in her hometown. We're on the road back from there right now, having spent the weekend with the folks. Sure would be nice if those amphur offices were open on the weekends. ????

Guess I'll just have to take a day off, hitting up the BKK amphurs.

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, L0cky said:

@JackThompson Just to clarify, is the 60 day still a Change of Visa (TM. 86) or something else?

Yes.  I saw another thread where UJ said TE was special, and perhaps this is somehow blocked:

Also see his Post #4, regarding marriage. 

Unless there is something written in the TE rules or law, which is some sort of "one-way trap" to keep one from getting out, I don't get why this is. 

I would think At the Least you could get the 60-day extension, since you are still on a valid permitted-stay when applying. 

As soon as I got this (assuming you can), I would ask the agent next-door to immigration for options.  That "change of visa" office in Jomtien is one of the most corrupt in the country, and the person running it seems to have powerful connections. 

Edited by JackThompson

Apologies as I haven't read the whole thread.

I had never used an agent for anything but in the case of marriage I did and it was a very easy process.

The Bangkok agent ( we don't live in BKK) did all the running around after I got the affadavit and passport certification, wife got her ex's death certificate etc. 2 days later she messaged us an address of an amphur with a google map and an appointment. I combined a trip to the embassy with meeting the agent and mada a holiday out of it (though I do not really like Bangkok as such), but in this case it was worth the money.

Met her at the amphur, 1 hour later, married.

As someone says the amphur are as inconsistent as the IO offices.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I've had these four documents for awhile now. Freedom to Marry, certified passport from the US Embassy, then both translated and stamped by the MFA.

My school is now working on my Non-B. They've suggested to me that I might want to hurry and get married, so that'd give me another visa path should they run into trouble.

But the trouble with that is, now I'm seeing these stories about this "crackdown" on getting married around BKK. Ok fine, let's go get married in her hometown. We're on the road back from there right now, having spent the weekend with the folks. Sure would be nice if those amphur offices were open on the weekends. ????

Guess I'll just have to take a day off, hitting up the BKK amphurs.

Some years ago, I gave up and enlisted the help of an agent who was part of a translation service (one of the places near Wireless Rd in Bangkok - ask around).  At that time it was 9K for all document-translation services plus the agent taking you to their amphur - acting as "witness" and "translator" - where the amphur-head was delighted to marry us.   The process still took over 1/2 day (started in morning, went through lunch w/ translator filling out forms for me/us).

This was after several sour-to-rude refusals at multiple amphurs over multiple days, before.  It's the only time I've ever used an agent here for anything.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2020 at 5:31 AM, L0cky said:

He did seem perplexed by my PE visa. Reading around it seems IOs expect a tourist or existing non-O before granting an extension and the only way to get one is to leave. Obviously this wouldn't be a big problem pre-COVID. @greggraham what type of visa were you on before amnesty, and which immigration office did you go to?

@fullofmax If you do manage to get married, be prepared that it might not help your stay. Good luck.

@L0cky

Congrats with your recent marriage!

Here my marriage present in the form of some hopefully useful advice >

You write that you are not even on the Amnesty, and that your permission to stay expires August 18th (in two days).

There should not be any reason for the IO not accepting your application for the 60-day extension of stay and 'waving you away'.  So it is more than strange that your Chonburi IO refused to handle it, if that is the IO of the province where you are residing. 

Be prepared that your application will also be refused at CW, because IO will normally only accept it when you show evidence that you are residing in the province where you apply.

Attached below the requirements when applying for that 60-day extension of stay:

The 60-day extension of stay can be done for ANY type of entry or extension of stay.

See excerpt from police order 327/2557, and note that it does not mention Visa type.

image.png.6c740c2775681d6ee2e431aade503028.png

When you apply for the 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your Thai wife, she will have to be with you when you apply and she has to bring her ID-card and a copy of it. 

You would also need to provide proof of residence.

If your wife is the owner of the place you are staying, a copy of the house-book from that place will do.  When renting, a copy of the rental agreement will be needed with signed copies of the owners house book and ID card signed by the owner.

To prove you are (still) married, you need to bring the original Kor Ror 3 (Thai marriage certificate) as well as a copy of it. And most offices will also want a recent printout (not older than 1 week) of your Kor Ror 2 (certificate of Thai marriage registration), which can be requested at any Amphoe and will be issued on the spot (cost between 5 and 20 THB).

You will also need a completed TM7 form (see attached) with a 4 X 6 cm photo attached, as well as copies of your passport photo page, Visa sticker, entry stamp (with permission to stay date) and your TM6 departure card.

> When you have all of the above and are still whisked away, politely request to talk to the officer in charge of your local IO.  Do stand your ground because when meeting the requirements there is absolutely NO reason for not accepting your application.

TM-7 - Application for Extension of Temporary Stay in the Kingdom.pdf

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

You would also need to provide proof of residence.

If your wife is the owner of the place you are staying, a copy of the house-book from that place will do.  When renting, a copy of the rental agreement will be needed with signed copies of the owners house book and ID card signed by the owner.

Unless things have changed, and we are talking about the Jomtien office, also needed will be landlord-signed copies of the Chanote and House-Book for the unit where you are living - OR, if you own your own condo, the proof you own it.  Of course, none of this if you use the agent next-door (why they ask for it).

Those are not needed at CW, Bangkok - or even the owner's house-book - just a signed copy of their ID and the rental-contract.

Edited by JackThompson

Thanks @Peter Denis and again @JackThompson for the detailed replies, and apologies @fullofmax if I'm hijacking the thread with a specific TE immigration issue rather than the general getting married OP.

I have a mountain of documentation in preparation for a 1 year Non-O so should be good for the 60 days TM.7, except for the signed owner ID (I have an unsigned copy). The owner is in Switzerland and I've requested it, we'll see. The requirements from police order 327/2557 show that it should really be straight forward, even trivial, but in these times and this particular office, who knows.

I will use the agent next door!

10 minutes ago, L0cky said:

Thanks @Peter Denis and again @JackThompson for the detailed replies, and apologies @fullofmax if I'm hijacking the thread with a specific TE immigration issue rather than the general getting married OP.

I have a mountain of documentation in preparation for a 1 year Non-O so should be good for the 60 days TM.7, except for the signed owner ID (I have an unsigned copy). The owner is in Switzerland and I've requested it, we'll see. The requirements from police order 327/2557 show that it should really be straight forward, even trivial, but in these times and this particular office, who knows.

I will use the agent next door!

Normally it would not be necessary for you to apply for the 60-day extension of stay before your current permission to stay expires (18 August).

There have been many reports of IOs confirming that they will handle such application even when you are on the Amnesty.  If your IO also confirms that, it would be recommended to wait till the final days of the Amnesty to apply for it (as it is normally provided from date of application).  So that would provide you with a permission to stay till approx 23 November.  And end November you could then apply for the 1-year extension of stay from the 'valid' permission to stay that 60-day extension provided you (and using the time till then to meet the 2 months seasoning requirement of the finances needed for the 1-year extension of stay).

However you should make sure that your IO confirms all of the above, as there are rogue IOs that will not accept your application if you have been intermediate on the Amnesty extension. 

But even if your IO is of the rogue kind, you would be able to meet their demands as you are not yet on the Amnesty.

So success!

16 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Normally it would not be necessary for you to apply for the 60-day extension of stay before your current permission to stay expires (18 August).

There have been many reports of IOs confirming that they will handle such application even when you are on the Amnesty.  If your IO also confirms that, it would be recommended to wait till the final days of the Amnesty to apply for it (as it is normally provided from date of application).  So that would provide you with a permission to stay till approx 23 November.  And end November you could then apply for the 1-year extension of stay from the 'valid' permission to stay that 60-day extension provided you (and using the time till then to meet the 2 months seasoning requirement of the finances needed for the 1-year extension of stay).

However you should make sure that your IO confirms all of the above, as there are rogue IOs that will not accept your application if you have been intermediate on the Amnesty extension. 

But even if your IO is of the rogue kind, you would be able to meet their demands as you are not yet on the Amnesty.

So success!

On the one hand yes, I could try the 60 day extension any time between now and 26th September and be granted an extension until November 23. On the other hand, my visa may not qualify for amnesty according to this post (I've asked for a source).

As there won't be any recourse by Wednesday when my POS is expired, I think it's best to try now under normal rules, even if it means the extension will only be until October 17th, rather than risk finding out that I have no amnesty.

1 hour ago, L0cky said:

On the one hand yes, I could try the 60 day extension any time between now and 26th September and be granted an extension until November 23. On the other hand, my visa may not qualify for amnesty according to this post (I've asked for a source).

As there won't be any recourse by Wednesday when my POS is expired, I think it's best to try now under normal rules, even if it means the extension will only be until October 17th, rather than risk finding out that I have no amnesty.

That's why I wrote >

• Like 1