2nd Hand Book Shops In Pattaya

Disting

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If in Jomtien, try Book Lovers on Soi 3 (right hand side, only 100 yards up)

.good selection,good condition,50% back on return.

Nice lady ,good English.

It's not bad if you really see a book you want, but 200 baht for a second hand paperback book is a bit steep these days.

Tops Supermarket, upstairs has Pattaya Beach Books or their other branch on Soi Bukhaw.

Nice lady ,good English.

It's not bad if you really see a book you want, but 200 baht for a second hand paperback book is a bit steep these days.

Tops Supermarket, upstairs has Pattaya Beach Books or their other branch on Soi Bukhaw.

Her prices vary. Even if its 40 baht more than some other places, like you said, if there is a book you really want, it is always worth it, and then you can also trade in for 50 percent credit like all theplaces.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Nice lady ,good English.

Her prices vary. Even if its 40 baht more than some other places, like you said, if there is a book you really want, it is always worth it, and then you can also trade in for 50 percent credit like all theplaces.

She is totally anal , bought a book and returned it maybe 10 days later in the same condition and she hemmed and hawed how it was dog eared and water damaged and did not want it back.

The place above Tops has a superior selection by far.

Went once in the jomtien bookshop and offered the lady 3 books I had bought in UK and at the airport, she offered me 30 baht for each although 2 were as new, I had a look at her stock and found it dated and over priced, in fact one of her books was the same as I was selling, she had it up for 220 baht and mine was in better condition and she was offering 30 baht.

I used to use tops but his lady was a bit stroppy with me as I took a book back from there and complained it had 3 pages missing, she say I lose page, I said no of course not, she refused to give me another book or even credit as the pages were missing, how easy they lose a customer.

Since then I use Canterbury Tales Bookshop, the guy Dave offers a good fair exchange rate, they have far superior choice and are cheaper than tops, what really ads to the place is the cafe all day English breakfasts 90 baht, free wifi and I have stayed in some of the rooms and very competitive in a great location.

This is where I found the book above in post #65

Jimmy, I have to agree she (Jomtien place) has gotten much more picky about taking returns. That seems wrong. Now if you buy there and there is any flaw, ask her to write it down in the book. I had the same experience as you on a good condition book I hadn't kept long; imagine trying to return a book you've had a long time. Business is business I guess but I bought there before based on the old liberal policy and now I feel the rules have changed in the middle of the game. I think its OK to change policies but they should only apply to purchases after the policy is changed, and that's not the situation. OK, it doesn't rate with the JETSKI scam, but it certainly is annoying.

Worse case if it really is a decent book with some demand and rejected in Jomtien, you can probably get 60 to 100 baht from Pattaya Beach books for a trade in there.

Edited by Jingthing

Jing, I doubt you will get that much from beach books, I used to use that shop at tops and you were lucky to get 50/60 baht for a brand new book bought the week before in Asia books.

I have found the best exchange from Canterbury Tales Bookshop but you sometimes need to speak to Dave himself as his staff are not right up on it.

Where is Pauls sports bar Jomtien condos by the way ??

Jimmy, I have to agree she (Jomtien place) has gotten much more picky about taking returns. That seems wrong. Now if you buy there and there is any flaw, ask her to write it down in the book. I had the same experience as you on a good condition book I hadn't kept long; imagine trying to return a book you've had a long time. Business is business I guess but I bought there before based on the old liberal policy and now I feel the rules have changed in the middle of the game. I think its OK to change policies but they should only apply to purchases after the policy is changed, and that's not the situation. OK, it doesn't rate with the JETSKI scam, but it certainly is annoying.

Worse case if it really is a decent book with some demand and rejected in Jomtien, you can probably get 60 to 100 baht from Pattaya Beach books for a trade in there.

Best book shop in Pattaya is probably Thais4life Charity Bookshop.

Soi Yensabai Condotel, Off Soi VC.

All books are priced at 80 Baht (40 credit when returned against another purchase). Many thousands of books in stock including other (not English) languages. Also some DVD's at 20 Baht.

One word of warning you only get 40 Baht credit on their books. So a book not purchased there would count as a donation, but as all profits go to this worth while charity that's something I think most people can live with.

After writing this its reminded me that I need to go there with a couple of books to change.

Patel.

Sorry I must disagree as I use the charity bookshop often but struggle to find what I desire, they have a lot of old stuff and so many lady author books its very hit and miss, by far the best stocked, cheapest for new and as new books on all subjects is Canterbury Tales Bookshop in soi Chaiyapoon.

Google them for map and website, they offer the best trade in on books from anywhere else too.

I recently purchased 3 new books all about 350baht in Asia books, latest titles by Lee Child, Stephen Leather and Martina Cole, as they still had the labels on and were 160/180 baht in Canterbury Tales plus I get back 50% of that when I have finished with them.post-101635-0-99833100-1299638824_thumb.post-101635-0-86707700-1299638864_thumb.post-101635-0-07522400-1299638922_thumb.

I recently purchased 3 new books all about 350baht in Asia books, latest titles by Lee Child, Stephen Leather and Martina Cole, as they still had the labels on and were 160/180 baht in Canterbury Tales plus I get back 50% of that when I have finished with them.post-101635-0-99833100-1299638824_thumb.post-101635-0-86707700-1299638864_thumb.post-101635-0-07522400-1299638922_thumb.

if you had bought them in asiabooks dave at least they would have been genuine and not the copies you were selling at canterbury tales eh ?

man books on soi chaiyapreuk in jomtien has a good selection of books,100 bt each and 50 bt when you return them.

pattaya beach books at tops or on soi buakhow are the best in pattaya without a doubt.

pattaya beach books at tops or on soi buakhow are the best in pattaya without a doubt.

agreed! we have been using them for years

we spend well over 2000 a month in return credit and pay new with them

parking is easy, the staff are efficient.

the English owner is very helpful, very amicable and makes good recommendations

personally i would not bother going anywhere else

Edited by timekeeper

The soi Baukao branch of beach books has been closed for a couple of weeks, not sure why, I do pop in there from time to time but nothing like the choice of Canterbury Tales,

Edited by Rimmer
Flame removed

One post has been edited and one posting quoting it has been removed.

For goodness sake name calling and squabbling about second hand book shops, :angry: we are here to help each no to not fight.

The soi Baukao branch of beach books has been closed for a couple of weeks, not sure why, I do pop in there from time to time but nothing like the choice of Canterbury Tales,

apparently his cashier has left and he is using this opportunity to refit.re-organize the shop

nothing sinister going on

however it is apparent to me though that this is a frequently re-opened subject that appears to be solely for the purpose of promoting Canterbury Tales and a transparent attempt to keep them at the forefront of the book buying public's minds

i for one am not buying it............

• 2 months later...

apparently his cashier has left and he is using this opportunity to refit.re-organize the shop

however it is apparent to me though that this is a frequently re-opened subject that appears to be solely for the purpose of promoting Canterbury Tales and a transparent attempt to keep them at the forefront of the book buying public's minds

Still closed, obviously needs a lot of reorganising.

Still closed, obviously needs a lot of reorganising.

i spoke with him today

he says that he still has no cashier, business is slow in that area and it will remain closed for the foreseeable future

he is however bringing books from there to the Tops site to refresh his stock

there certainly were many new titles there today so it was worth going........