New Thai passports to be valid for 10 years

snoop1130

New Thai passports to be valid for 10 years

By The Nation

800_3eed3137366f506.jpg

The Foreign Ministry has announced that from September onwards, new Thai passports issued will have a 10-year validity.

Chatri Archjananun, director general of the Department of Consular Affairs, said the ministry was initially planning to launch the project in August, but it had been delayed due to the Covid-19 outbreak.

Currently, 21 passport offices provide services on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, but will start opening every day once the virus situation is completely under control.

Though a new version of Thai passports have been in circulation since July 8, the latest 10-year ones will become even more difficult to duplicate, thanks to embossed signatures, images and biometric information of the passport holder's eyes.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30392596

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-07

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Though a new version of Thai passports have been in circulation since July 8, the latest 10-year ones will become even more difficult to duplicate, thanks to embossed signatures, images and biometric information of the passport holder's eyes.

Nothing to do with control, it's all about identity fraud, isn't it and the Thai's don't have a choice do they ?

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, loong said:

So Thai passports are valid 5 years?

Maybe that explains dropping the charges against the Red Bull fugitive. Didn't he flee in 2015 so that would mean that his passport has expired or will soon? Maybe they dropped the charges so that he can get a new passport?

I doubt this change has anything to do with the Red Bull case. I presume they are just making these changes to conform with international identity document security standards. The longer validly period makes the documents more convenient for Thais and less work for the Foreign Ministry.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Nothing to do with control, it's all about identity fraud, isn't it and the Thai's don't have a choice do they ?

well... once you take the hiso Mercedes out of the picture, he will look the same as any somchai

• Like 2

Welcome to International standards.

It's not really 10 years, more like 9 years and 6 months, to maintain the required 6 months remaining validity be able to travel overseas. Or perhaps 9 years 3 months, accounting for now long the renewal application process takes.

4 hours ago, loong said:

Maybe that explains dropping the charges against the Red Bull fugitive. Didn't he flee in 2015 so that would mean that his passport has expired or will soon? Maybe they dropped the charges so that he can get a new passport?

I doubt that he has only one nationality.

• Like 1

I don't understand how this made the news, it's an old story. 

My wife was informed about this some 6 months ago, instead of the usual 5 year @ 1000bht it is now 2000bht for 10 years, atm you have a choice but I have no doubt it will become the norm. ( less work more money )

Who needs a Thai or any other passport atm no one is traveling.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 8/8/2020 at 9:21 AM, loong said:

It seems you are unaware that very wealthy people can have several passports from different countries he does not need a Thai passport to travel anywhere, including Thailand. 

23 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

Welcome to International standards.

It's not really 10 years, more like 9 years and 6 months, to maintain the required 6 months remaining validity be able to travel overseas. Or perhaps 9 years 3 months, accounting for now long the renewal application process takes.

What international standards? There are none. My EU passport is valid for only 5 years... big pain in the butt!!! But I think it's up to the individual countries.

Was 10 years and 64 pages before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passport_validity

On 8/8/2020 at 9:21 AM, loong said:

I would imagine that, like other Thai fugitives, he will have passports for other countries.