UK steps up plans to tackle migrant Channel crossings with new commander

webfact

46 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Whether that is a five star hotel or a falling down hovel; what has it got to do with where asylum seekers in the UK are housed?

Illegal migrants - mostly fake asylum seekers occupy the streets in certain areas in Paris, and due to the pandemic, certain measures have been taken to house them till end of march 2021. Those who head to Calais in destination for the UK, are of course not lodged., the camp has been destroyed , but they still come back to try and cross the Channel. This hotel in Paris is rather new and comfortable, those in the regions sometimes less, anyway they need to be totally refurbished when the migrants leave the place. They end up sometimes 5 in a 17sqm room after a 3 year stay.. more kids born in the family. Most of them don't want to be relocated in rural areas.

That's what they cost French Taxpayers.  And France structures are since decades overwhelmed, Enough is Enough.

Germany is experiencing the case of suddden mass immigration since 2015, let's see in 10 years how things evolve.

And I do understand the reluctance in the UK to welcome and accomodate uninvited guests. 

I have no doubt Kent Migrants NGOs will do a better job, since French Government has stopped providing commodities in Calais 

Edited by Opl
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, katana said:

In the video, Nigel Farage goes and visits the Bromsgrove Hilton hotel to discover it closed to the general public and full of migrants.<SNIP>

Farage as usual stirring the pot. temporary accommodation whilst HMG / Serco locating a more affordable alternative.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/nigel-farage-illegal-immigrants-hotels-worcestershire-a9648746.html

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

16 minutes ago, katana said:

er..did you actually look at the links provided? The first video is entitled: "Who is really staying at

this 4 star hotel?"
In the video, Nigel Farage goes and visits the Bromsgrove Hilton hotel to discover it closed to the general public and full of migrants.
On the hotels.uk.com website it is described thus:
"From the moment you arrive at the 4-star Hilton Birmingham Bromsgrove hotel, Reception staff and porters are available 24 hours a day. They can help with everything from luggage to advice on local sightseeing."

So your earlier assertion that:

"If they were put up in four star hotels then you would have a point. But they aren't."

is incorrect

Your review is either of a different hotel or way out of date. The hotel used to be a Hilton; it's now a Britannia. 

Some reviews describe it as 'four star;' others are not so generous.

From Google reviews:

Rooms · 2.2

Some guests said the rooms were small & dated, and that cleanliness & maintenance could be improved · Some guests said the bathrooms were small & cleanliness could be improved

Location · 4.1

Near the train station & airport · Sightseeing, restaurants & bars nearby

Service & facilities · 3.7

Guests appreciated the friendly, professional staff · Some guests said reception could be improved · Guests enjoyed the pool

Even if this hotel is four star, it is the exception, not the rule.

From the Bromsgrove Standard; Divided opinions as Nigel Farage visits Bromsgrove to make video about asylum seekers.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Food and accommodation given to them. There are pensioners who have contributed all there working life left with less than £37.75 a week after they've paid for all living expenses THEMSELVES.

Accommodation provided; yes.

Food; no. That, plus toiletries, clothes etc. has to be paid for from their weekly allowance.

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

Farage as usual stirring the pot. temporary accommodation whilst HMG / Serco locating a more affordable alternative.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/nigel-farage-illegal-immigrants-hotels-worcestershire-a9648746.html

Nigel Farage . He has more faces than the Town Hall clock..

The mention of his name , makes me vomit ..

He graciously , accepts the EU payments ..

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, elliss said:

That said .

Employment prospects in the UK are not encouraging enough,  too be smuggled into the UK.

So , there may well other reasons ..

Social security benefits , come too mind .

Which in my opinion , should be made available only , for British citizens ,..

Fortunately for them, people will work  - legally or rather not - for relatives of relatives - mostly in ethnic businesses, of the same origin, village, extended family etc.. will be housed by someone of the community who owns flats and rents rooms, etc.. and little by little they settle. Reason why connections in the host countries are key. They'll be able to borrow some money from the community to start a business of their own etc, etc... and in the end you'll find entire streets whith the same population and all the shops/restaurants they need. 

It's the same process all over the world, observe how things work in every "chinatown". "little India", etc.. sometimes different communities are in competition in the same area, which may cause trouble.  

If your country protects children, then often benefits are attached to them, free school as it is mandatory, health care, social welfare.. and this can explain why there are so many "single" mothers with 4 kids.. living in too small flats, and you wonder why people complain about their living conditions. 

Edited by Opl
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, 7by7 said:

When did TVF instigate a residential qualification?

Why not ask the same question of other posters who have said they live in the UK such as @kingdong and @elliss?

Could it be because they share your views?

I did not know they lived in the UK its just you posted that you did ,so i asked.

Edited by bert bloggs

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

Some reviews describe it as 'four star;

Thank you for finally agreeing.

2 hours ago, simple1 said:

Not sure how temporary that is. Serco was recently awarded a 1.9 Billion, 10 year contract to house migrants. Nice work if you can get it.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-serco-group-contract/serco-mears-win-2-9-billion-refugee-housing-contracts-in-britain-idUKKCN1P216Z

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, elliss said:

That said .

Employment prospects in the UK are not encouraging enough,  too be smuggled into the UK.

So , there may well other reasons ..

Social security benefits , come too mind .

Which in my opinion , should only be available , to British citizens ,..

As already mentioned many times, apart from the asylum support, asylum seekers cannot claim nor receive any public funds.

All the research shows that state benefits are low down on the list of reasons for choosing the UK over any other country. Why do migrants and asylum seekers want to come to the UK? is nearly four years old, but still relevant.

Social and economic factors are relevant, less so the availability of benefits

Researchers say that, where people can choose, factors such as colonial and historical links, the presence of family members, general reputation as a safe country and language are relevant factors........

We’ve previously discussed why the UK’s welfare system is an unlikely pull factor for asylum seekers, and compared the cash support available to asylum seekers in different European countries.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

I did not know they lived in the UK its just you posted that you did ,so i asked.

Really?

The post of mine you quoted from reads in full:-

On 8/14/2020 at 3:10 PM, 7by7 said:
On 8/14/2020 at 3:05 PM, elliss said:

Actually , i live in the UK , so i know quite a lot about it .

Are you a British citizen . Yes or No ....

Living in the UK doesn't mean you know quite a lot about the UK benefit system; indeed your posts definitely prove otherwise.

I'm British and I live in the UK.

7 minutes ago, katana said:
2 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Some reviews describe it as 'four star;

Thank you for finally agreeing.

Except I didn't agree.

What I actually said without your editing to change it's meaning was:-

"Your review is either of a different hotel or way out of date. The hotel used to be a Hilton; it's now a Britannia. 

Some reviews describe it as 'four star;' others are not so generous.

From Google reviews:

Rooms · 2.2

Some guests said the rooms were small & dated, and that cleanliness & maintenance could be improved · Some guests said the bathrooms were small & cleanliness could be improved

Location · 4.1

Near the train station & airport · Sightseeing, restaurants & bars nearby

Service & facilities · 3.7

Guests appreciated the friendly, professional staff · Some guests said reception could be improved · Guests enjoyed the pool

Even if this hotel is four star, it is the exception, not the rule."

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Farage already proved they are by visiting several and filming them, I could post his YT reports but may not be allowed, some are embarrassed by the truth

I have already posted responses to Farage's hyperbole. I suggest that you read them; including the one immediately above yours!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Orton Rd said:

Yes you claimed they were not being put up in 4 star Hotels and when proved that they are claimed it was temporary, how do you know that and how temporary?

No one has proven that asylum seekers are being put up in four star hotels.

One review of one hotel used by Farage in his stunt gave it four stars. The average of rating given in reviews of the same hotel's accommodation is just 2.2!

How do I know it's temporary and how temporary?

Home Office responds to Nigel Farage's video on Bromsgrove asylum seekers

THE housing of asylum seekers in a Bromsgrove hotel remains a ‘temporary’ measure, government chiefs insist – in response to an incendiary visit to the town by prominent politician Nigel Farage.

Scandal or not; Farage's stunts have not exposed this. Those of us in the UK who pay attention to the news have known about this since April!

From the same Bromsgrove Advertiser article

The Advertiser reported back in April that around 150 refugees would be housed in the district under emergency Government measures amid the onset of the coronavirus crisis.

It seems that Farage has only got involved to maintain his self publicity after being fired by LBC!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

These people are not wanted ,period. That was proven by Brexit,yes it was,was all about immigration

Now they park themselves on a beach,after arriving by small boat wanting above anything else free money,yes that from a starting point.

Nothing should be given to them,nothing,they arrived after oft quoted "dangerous journey" for whom?.UK taxpayer ,that's whom.

Got rid of ASAP they ultimately will join others of their ilk  in Bradford ,Preston ,Rotherham etc etc etc ,making even bigger hell holes

15 hours ago, Greghuntleyuk said:

117605750_1197816300576570_5228617004101488607_o.jpg

get angry?you mean angry at just them?  of course not  ,extend your anger to Universal Credit,best thing ever. You and your ilk cost the taxpayer as a proportion a full 87% per population  or did,to put it nicely.

but now sharply reduced,but still confined to UC  and may add Pension credit too,trying to undue that as well,as well as the frozen bit on state pension so retirement to Hindu Kush /Khyber Pass now in doubt

It seems obvious to most that it is a great problem in illegal immigrants letting themselves into a country, the general concensus of the citizens of this country is as such, just because you have common sense it doesn't make you racist.

IMG_20200815_190338.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, katana said:

Not sure how temporary that is. Serco was recently awarded a 1.9 Billion, 10 year contract to house migrants. Nice work if you can get it.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-serco-group-contract/serco-mears-win-2-9-billion-refugee-housing-contracts-in-britain-idUKKCN1P216Z

Read the link - about 28 days. 

Serco has a long history with government contracts for detention facilities and so on worldwide. Not always the best or reports concerning their service delivery. e.g.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/mar/25/secret-recordings-allege-excessive-force-by-guards-in-australias-detention-centres

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not sure which link you mean. The Reuter's link you quoted has no mention of 28 days/1month and states Serco have a 10 year £1.9 billion contract, along with Mears who have a £1 billion contract.
If you mean the Independent link you quoted earlier, will have to take your word for it since it won't load with an ad-blocker.
Assuming the information from The Independent is correct that they are moved out of the hotel after a short period and is not just some damage limitation exercise on Serco's part, the contract is for 10 years which means there is anticipated to be a constant stream of migrants coming in to the hotel for the lifetime of this government and beyond and it won't just be for 28 days.

5 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

your wasting your time answering him ,"there are none so blind as those who do not want to see"

Indeed, and you are one of those who do not want to see the facts which destroy your prejudice.

wish that when i come back to the UK i was put up in a nice hotel and got the taxpayer to fund it

As shown, asylum seekers (which is what they are as they have submitted an asylum application) are only put up in hotels temporarily due to travel, social distancing and other factors of the pandemic until more suitable accommodation can be found.

This accommodation is in the same sort of hostel, small, dingy hotel or bed and breakfast offered to homeless British people.

Also shown before is the fact that asylum seekers cost each UK taxpayer just over 1p per day (source). Let me know when you return to the UK and I'll send you that money.

oh and get free health care ,,but then i only paid my taxes from the time i was 18 what do i matter?

Whether you return to the UK or not, you will still get your state pension. In Thailand it wont be index linked, though. The reasons for which have nothing to do with asylum seekers.

Return to the UK to take up residency and your state pension will be index linked and you'll be entitled to the full range of NHS services from the moment you step off the plane.

BTW, I started part time work and paying income tax and NICs when I was 14. But so what?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

asylum seekers cost each UK taxpayer just over 1p per day

so asylum seekers who paid thousands to smugglers could as well pay a small fee, right? 

Edited by Opl
  • Like 2