UK steps up plans to tackle migrant Channel crossings with new commander

webfact

2 hours ago, katana said:

Not sure which link you mean. The Reuter's link you quoted has no mention of 28 days/1month and states Serco have a 10 year £1.9 billion contract, along with Mears who have a £1 billion contract.
If you mean the Independent link you quoted earlier, will have to take your word for it since it won't load with an ad-blocker.
Assuming the information from The Independent is correct that they are moved out of the hotel after a short period and is not just some damage limitation exercise on Serco's part, the contract is for 10 years which means there is anticipated to be a constant stream of migrants coming in to the hotel for the lifetime of this government and beyond and it won't just be for 28 days.

Yes, The Independent. i have no knowledge of the T&Cs of the Serco contract, nor do you. Your assumption regards the hotel are frankly, ridiculous.

• Sad 2

20 minutes ago, katana said:

The length and cost of the contract are reported in the Reuter's article. <SNIP>

So what. I was referring to your highly speculative comment concerning the hotel. The Reuters stuff is very high-level summary, no details, bit more detail from Serco...

https://www.serco.com/media-and-news/2019/serco-awarded-uk-asylum-support-services-contracts-with-an-estimated-value-of-19bn-sercos-largest-ever-contract-award

FYI more info on Serco issues...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jun/20/serco-given-new-asylum-housing-contracts-despite-68m-fines-for-failings#:~:text=Serco was fined a total,contract in north-west England.

Edited by simple1

the govt have signed a 4 billion pound ,10 year contract with at least 20 hotels to house and feed economic migrants. this does not include the money they give each one every week 

In other news after paying in for 44 years i am on a frozen pension and a few months ago had my wifes allowance of 70 pounds a week taken off me as it is no longer paid to British pensioners .

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, katana said:

Thank you for finally agreeing.

Not sure how temporary that is. Serco was recently awarded a 1.9 Billion, 10 year contract to house migrants. Nice work if you can get it.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-serco-group-contract/serco-mears-win-2-9-billion-refugee-housing-contracts-in-britain-idUKKCN1P216Z

Whose snouts , are in the trough .?

Aka , freedom fighters ...555

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 7by7 said:

If you voted Leave because of migrants/refugees/asylum seekers, (whatever you want to call them) then you fell for a Farage lie and are going to be sorely disappointed come 1/1/21.

Is that right? you do not have a clue,but nor does anybody else,...but personally speaking. It gives me great pleasure to know new laws are being drafted to deal with the scum.  Whole areas of UK are blighted by corralling the scum,let them wander just a little bit off base and their lives are threatened

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Priti Patel: Migrants crossing Channel as they believe France is racist. "Migrants are crossing the Channel to Britain because they believe France is a “racist country” where they may be “tortured”, Priti Patel has said. “They claim they feel discriminated against when, for example, looking for work in France. Others claimed they feared being tortured if they stayed in France or Germany."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/aug/16/priti-patel-migrants-crossing-channel-uk-they-believe-france-racist

So then, finally they  are fleeing France and seeking for asylum in the UK, the nearest safe country.  I believe they trust Priti's statement for obvious reasons, and it's not totally untrue, when it comes to discrimination for obvious reasons too.      

Edited by Opl

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

the govt have signed a 4 billion pound ,10 year contract with at least 20 hotels to house and feed economic migrants. this does not include the money they give each one every week 

In other news after paying in for 44 years i am on a frozen pension and a few months ago had my wifes allowance of 70 pounds a week taken off me as it is no longer paid to British pensioners .

From today's Mail on Sunday:

Casually tapping on their smartphones and smoking in the sunshine, the young men gathered outside the once grand, but now slightly downmarket, hotel appeared carefree and relaxed. 

Their untroubled, if somewhat bored, demeanour is perhaps no surprise. 

Having successfully reached the UK as asylum seekers, they are now guests of the British taxpayer() with free accommodation, three meals a day and a £39.60 weekly spending allowance..... 

Up to 50 hotels across Britain benefit from £4billion ten-year contract to house asylum seekers

A livestream from Catherine Blaiklock has been uploaded on Hearts of Oak YT channel. She visited Dover last week and explains what she encountered while there.

Edited by evadgib

It's an industry, I used to work in it. The number of genuine asylum seekers is miniscule, believe me. You almost drop down dead when you meet a guy or woman who is genuinely fleeing political persecution, as opposed to a someone who just wants a better life. Oh, I loved those cases, presenting the torture pictures was particularly fulfilling. Yeah, with the proper medical support you can do this, never met an adjudicator yet who wasn't swayed.

Edited by nausea

1 hour ago, shdmn said:

Funny how these "hey look over there, see those dirty illegal immigrants commin to take yer jaabs" stories always come out when there are negative Brexit stories bubbling up into the main stream.

It's even more funny to know that UK law directly derives from having signed the Geneva convention as a country (not as EU member State). On top of it, after leaving the EU, it will likely not benefit any more from the Dublin regulation and will not have the right to send back refugees to the country of entry into the EU.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/15/2020 at 10:55 PM, Greghuntleyuk said:

117605750_1197816300576570_5228617004101488607_o.jpg

Like it or not the super rich and big corporations employ many workers in real jobs not financed by the taxpayer, while asylum seekers contribute zero tax and support mainly bureaucrats.

If they are genuine asylum seekers fleeing death, one might assume just not being threatened with death is worth living on 37 quid a week.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, simple1 said:

The only stuff Farage is doing is stirring @#$%. HMG is obliged to accommodate asylum seekers until they are assessed, in the meantime not permitted to work so wouldn't be able to pay for their own accommodation. What has Farage personally actually achieved by way of legislation to resolve asylum seeker issues in the UK - nothing.

Well yes, the anti-establishment will side with illegals, for sure.

The UK border force is costing the UK bundles going round UK shops, sweat shops, borders, searching to finding illegal immigrants working and folk exploiting their visas, then we have the illegal immigrant protection brigade protecting them.

Doesn't matter which way you look at it, it is costing the taxpayer and legit businesses...

I feel a 'link' appearing shortly.....????

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, transam said:

Well yes, the anti-establishment will side with illegals, for sure.

The UK border force is costing the UK bundles going round UK shops, sweat shops, borders, searching to finding illegal immigrants working and folk exploiting their visas, then we have the illegal immigrant protection brigade protecting them.

Doesn't matter which way you look at it, it is costing the taxpayer and legit businesses...

I feel a 'link' appearing shortly.....????

You haven't answered my point - what has Farage personally achieved with enacting legislation to address asylum seeker concerns in the UK.

So far haven't seen anything that promotes support for 'illegals' as defined in UK law (see below) However, I'm anti right of centre.

https://fullfact.org/immigration/can-refugees-enter-uk-illegally/

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, simple1 said:

You haven't answered my point - what has Farage personally achieved with enacting legislation to address asylum seeker concerns in the UK.

So far haven't seen anything that promotes support for 'illegals' as defined in UK law (see below) However, I'm anti right of centre.

https://fullfact.org/immigration/can-refugees-enter-uk-illegally/

I don't know what he has achieved YET, but he was the main instigator to get Brexit done, so be patient, he may well achieve his goal, and will upset the anti-establishment brigade...

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, transam said:

I don't know what he has achieved YET, but he was the main instigator to get Brexit done, so be patient, he may well achieve his goal, and will upset the anti-establishment brigade...

Thank you for acknowledging fact. Only history will tell if Brexit was the right decision for the UK or not. 

Curious to know your definition of the "anti-establishment brigade" in the UK.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Pretending not to know the difference between bona-fide asylum seekers and illegal immigrants adds nothing whatsoever to this de-bait. ????

I'm fully aware of the definitions under UK law, are you?

• Like 1