Majority of Scots support independence from UK - YouGov poll

snoop1130

19 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

How so?  Some who serve as Politicians are actually honorable people.  Some are not.  I have no background knowledge of any recent SNP retirees, but a quick search shows a couple.  Is this the one who is leaving:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-53941378

No shock horror story there I can see. 

Or this one:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-53896876

Or there. 

Now, if either had taken a test drive for 60 miles to see if their eyesight was good enough for them to drive, or presided over a complete shambles of ducation then resigning might have had some background other than time to retire....

PH

Some who serve as Politicians are actually honorable people.  Some are not. 

Thanks for clearing that up.

Here's one that isn't.

Derek Mackay: Scottish finance secretary quits over messages to boy

Which ever way you want to look at it, that is a lot of SNPs quitting, is it not, too many to be coincidental parhaps.

But but Cummings.????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rott said:

Another SNP politician has resigned, how many is this now 12 or 13?

And the media remains silent. As do Sturgeon and Salmond.

What is going on, is there a new party in the offing? 

Sorry not sure if it is resigned or does not wish to stand for re-election. 

Whats your point?

Over 60 MP's stood down before the last general election.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, vogie said:

Here's one that isn't.

Which ever way you want to look at it, that is a lot of SNPs quitting, is it not, too many to be coincidental parhaps.

But but Cummings.????

You really want to compare the behavior of MSP's against MP's?

How about we start with Ross Thomson? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

You really want to compare the behavior of MSP's against MP's?

How about we start with Ross Thomson? 

Ah, I see what you did there, you take the blame from your government by mentioning someone else, crafty.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Let's see if I have the timeline correct:

MSP resigns, or decides not to stand again

Little Englander points and laughs about SNP MSPs shenanigans

Links to last two SNP MSP retirements provided

Little Englander redirects to previous SNP MSP resigning following misconduct

Comment about Tory MP ressigning for similar misconduct provided

Little Englander upset.

That about right?

PH

Personal insults don't become you!

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Here's one that isn't.

But but Cummings.????

Is Mark Francois still an MP or has he stood down? He has been very quiet lately.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Let's see if I have the timeline correct:

MSP resigns, or decides not to stand again

Little Englander points and laughs about SNP MSPs shenanigans

Links to last two SNP MSP retirements provided

Little Englander redirects to previous SNP MSP resigning following misconduct

Comment about Tory MP ressigning for similar misconduct provided

Little Englander upset.

That about right?

PH

"Little Englander", are you German...?

Terms like that remind me of those war comics I bought as a kid, back in the 50's.....????

• Like 1

Perhaps somebody on here can clarify a point for me. 

The SNP show £15 billion more in public spending than they raise in taxes. Presumably Westminster are making up the difference. Have they stated how this will be addressed in the unlikely event of independence. 

6 minutes ago, rott said:

The SNP show £15 billion more in public spending than they raise in taxes. Presumably Westminster are making up the difference. Have they stated how this will be addressed in the unlikely event of independence. 

Dunno.  When was the last time the UK Government ran a surplus?  How do they fund the year on year deficit?

Then again, renting Coulport to rUK at 15 Billion a year until rUK can build themselves a suitable alternative would fill the gap nicely.

PH

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rott said:

Where do you think Westminster got it from? 

Hint: it wasn't from a vault in Threadneedle Street. 

Scotland will manage its deficit in the same way that virtually every single country in the world (with the possible exception of North Korea) manages their deficit. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rott said:

No the GERS figures show that. A figure arrived at by Westminster oddly enough. There is a huge veil of secrecy as to how they compile that figure. 

No-one believes the GERS figures except die hard unionists.

Now the reason the Scottish government has to publish those figures is because they have to. By law. They did not calculate the sums but because of connivance by Perfidious Albion thats where we are.

Answer me this. If Scotland is such a drain on the UK's finances why is it so desperate to hold on to it?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, transam said:

"Little Englander", are you German...?

Terms like that remind me of those war comics I bought as a kid, back in the 50's.....????

From Wikipedia/ Cambridge dictionary:-

The Cambridge online dictionary defines Little Englander as "an English person who thinks England is better than all other countries, and that England should only work together with other countries when there is an advantage for England in doing so"

The term has been used as a derogatory term for English nationalists or English people who are perceived as xenophobic or overly nationalistic. It has also been applied to opponents of globalism, multilateralism and internationalism.

Unfortunately it appears that you may not have passed on from your war comic stage, as your obsession with Germany is evident in many posts. Reading the above should make it clear that the phrase "Little Englander" has nothing to do with Germany, or any other nation in particular for that matter. It has to do with a narrow minded inward looking view about England and it's place in the world. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

The Cambridge online dictionary defines Little Englander as "an English person who thinks England is better than all other countries, and that England should only work together with other countries when there is an advantage for England in doing so"

The term has been used as a derogatory term for English nationalists or English people who are perceived as xenophobic or overly nationalistic. It has also been applied to opponents of globalism, multilateralism and internationalism.

Unfortunately it appears that you may not have passed on from your war comic stage, as your obsession with Germany is evident in many posts. Reading the above should make it clear that the phrase "Little Englander" has nothing to do with Germany, or any other nation in particular for that matter. It has to do with a narrow minded inward looking view about England and it's place in the world. 

Folk can look at the term how they like, you will notice at the end of my post was a ...????... but you want to make something of it.

But, if I am honest the term "Little England" has been used a lot on these pages, and is obviously used to bait a response from the English...Where I usually oblige...????

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Scotland will manage its deficit in the same way that virtually every single country in the world (with the possible exception of North Korea) manages their deficit. 

Forecast to be £28 billion in twelve months. 

11 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

The term was used repeatedly in the same post and was directed at myself, so this is where the confusion is, how can someone who wishes the United Kingdom to remain intact be ever classed as a Nationalist, maybe a Unionist, but never a nationalist. 

If I can remind you that in Westminster there aren't any nationalists MPs, whilst in the Scottish Parliament there are more nationalists than you can swing a cat at, but I suppose your interpretation of "xenophobic or overly nationalistic" won't apply to them eh Nigel?

I think that the SNP and its followers should have a really good look in the mirror before they start banding words about like 'xenophobic' I don't see many English carrying banners saying 'Scotland out of England.

As I said before, grandfather was Scottish (Gorbals) and my maternal grandmother was Welsh so I don't fly any Nationalist flags, but I will always be proud to sport the Union flag.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Thankfully the tap hasn't yet been turned off eh, RR?

UK Government to fund COVID-19 research in Scotland

The UK Government is investing £8.4 million in COVID-19 immunology research projects, including at the universities of Edinburgh, Glasgow and Dundee.

I think this new initiative must be worth at least another couple of percentage points - maybe even see support for independence tip into the 60s? But all this huge effort to keep a net drain on finances? It does make one question just how credible that claim could be, does it not?

Mordor squad: PM gathers top team for assault on SNP portrayal of Westminster as dark empire

Boris Johnson is planning a third summer trip to Scotland next month, as Downing Street switches its SNP strategy from “defensive” to “offensive”.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

I dont think Johnson will still be PM come February. I honestly think the pressure of the job coupled with his own recent illness with Corona have convinced him its no longer a job he wants.

Heading up to rural Scotland and living in a tent? Does that not speak volumes as to someone who wants to be cut off from the machinations of government?

The thing is, if he does quit and is replaced by Gove then we might be looking back at the tenures of May and Johnson with dewy eyed nostalgia because that man is a sleekit worm who has a massive chip on his shoulder.

I dont think Johnson is vicious and vindictive. I just think he is incompetent. Gove on the other hand is.  

So now a holiday that Boris enjoys is a problem for you.....????

Tell me, as you know all, what occupations only go camping...?

• Haha 1