Jobs Foreigners Can Legally Do in Thailand

25 minutes ago, timendres said:

...but I believe the OP is asking for the opposite list:

"a list of jobs that foreigners can legally peform, apply for and receive a work permit"

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RichCor said:

...but I believe the OP is asking for the opposite list:

"a list of jobs that foreigners can legally peform, apply for and receive a work permit"

Anything other than those on the prohibited list. Most of which are pretty arcane.

I think sitting on your ar$e at home watching the tele is the top job for foreigners. It's a skilled job which few people can do expertly and so it needs oodles of practice. Sadly peak earnings are on the low side.

Other than that, if you have at least tongue, a mouth and a head, you can be a teacher of English.....high status, but sadly, quite lowly pay. Importantly, you don't need any education of any kind or any knowledge of the English language to teach English in Thailand even in the most prestigious schools which is obviously a plus if you spent your teenaged years in Borstal.

Edited by Pedrogaz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The last article I read on it was:

List of jobs reserved for Thais trimmed  (link full article)

TheNationThailand | Jun 22. 2018

Foreigners as of July 1 [2018] will be permitted to work in 12 professions previously reserved for Thais [...] The 12 professions to be opened to foreigners include manual labour, as defined by the Employment Department, and 11 others for which foreigners can be hired “as necessary”, with the condition that they can only be employees, not business owners or working independently.

The 11 others are agriculture, including animal husbandry, forestry, fisheries and other non-expert jobs; bricklaying, carpentry and other construction work; and making mattresses, quilt blankets, knives, shoes, hats, dresses, pottery and ceramic ware.

Foreigners with professional licences recognised in Thailand will also be able to work in civil engineering, architecture and accountancy. Adul explained that these three occupations were being opened to foreigners as required by an Association of Southeast Asian Nations agreement on free labour migration.

Edited by RichCor
changed font for quoted text

Thanks for the replies guys. I am actually making this inquiry for my daughter. She is Lao-American (US citizen, but not Lao) and she wants to enter a training program. I want to be sure she can qualify for jobs in nursing care and medical assistant.

28 minutes ago, jingjai9 said:

she wants to enter a training program. I want to be sure she can qualify for jobs in nursing care and medical assistant.

...maybe @Sheryl might know or have experienced meeting foreign workers in the Thai medical community and can comment on your inquiry?

The general answer usually requires:

• uses technology that Thai people cannot do or uses specialized knowledge to complete the work under a fixed-term project
  • Private educational institutions With a letter of appointment as a teacher / instructor / educational personnel under the law on private schools Law on private higher education institutions
  • Foundations, associations or other organizations with non-profit, economic or social benefits as a whole

[sorry about the google translate here]

50 minutes ago, jingjai9 said:

Thanks for the replies guys. I am actually making this inquiry for my daughter. She is Lao-American (US citizen, but not Lao) and she wants to enter a training program. I want to be sure she can qualify for jobs in nursing care and medical assistant.

She would have to have a degree from an accredited Thai nursing program and pass the relevant licensing exam (given only in Thai).

"medical Assistant" is not a recognized field here.

I would say chances of employment in these fields for a non-Thai is very ,very low

Sheryl, my daughter has a private vocational school and thanks to your post I will be sure to check out their accreditations and inquire about tests she needs to take. My daughter has been a student in a Thai school for the last 6 years and she is equivalent to a native Thai speaker. 

I plan to visit her school tomorrow and if my questions are satisfactorily answered, enroll her.

1 hour ago, jingjai9 said:

I plan to visit her school tomorrow and if my questions are satisfactorily answered, enroll her.

You may want to ask if they've previously had non-Thai nationals as students, and if so were any able to get jobs in Thailand (or other ASEAN member countries).

While I don't have the broad experience of interacting with various facets of the Thai health care system that @Sheryl has accumulated over her many many years here assisting people, I personally have met plenty of excellent English speaking Thais working in clinic and hospitals, but only a very few non-Thais.

The only exception might be in a foreigner medical worker assisting as part of an NGO (though I have no idea what limitations/restrictions they'd have placed over their abilities and practice).

I went to the Mission Hospital once a number of years ago.  The doctor that I saw was an American doctor and a Seventh Day Adventist which is why he was working at Mission Hospital.  I asked him the question that I thought working as a medical doctor was a closed profession.  He replied that no, it wasn't a closed profession but you do have to pass all the medical exams and they are all in the Thai language.  

• 4 weeks later...

@Sheryl or anyone else for that matter:

I have 2 diplomas (Canadian), one being security related and one being developmental service worker (working with people with dual diagnosis). Would DSW have any 'job titles' I could apply for in Thailand, or would I be SOL when it comes to working in Thailand with only a diploma?

Also: Can I find a job in Thailand as an English teacher without a degree (If I take tesol or tefl)? It just seems like there re so many different answers.

Edited by Blai

Sorry, I have no idea what "DSW" is.

Development Services is not a field in Thailand but I would suggest you try one of the international schools that specializes in special needs as possible they would have something suitable, maybe as a counselor or such. See https://internationalschoolsbangkokthailand.org/special-needs-education-schools-thailand.html