Pattaya: Swede racks up 100,000 baht in hospital bills after chasing snatch thief who stole 60K necklace

webfact

i don't understand! was the swede wearing the necklace? in that case he should have fallen from his bike at once when the individual tried to snatch it and wouldn't been able to chase the thief...or he has it in a bag, and then again i can't help wondering why driving around with such an expensive jewellery?

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Bill for my traffic accident in 2019, with 3 fractures but not requiring instrumentation, but a very large laceration/degloving of the ankle and heel with subsequent infection (so 2 weeks in hospital, and 2 surgeries) , exceeded the equivalent of 600,000 baht at a hospital similiar to BPH in price.

Sorry to learn of that, Sheryl. Hope you are well now. x

Edited by daveAustin

5 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

The guy is an idiot and 60k poorer for his stupidity. 

Really people, wakey wakey.

Who paid the hospital bills ?

Doubt he paid 30k a baht for the chain.

Edited by Don Mega

19 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Bad luck. Though not really intelligent to be wearing 2 baht of gold around your neck at this time.

It's going to tempt someone. In this case, it did.

Also a waste of time and energy going to the police. Even if they catch him, their money is long gone.

Haven't they seen the cases of the man who absconded with 358k of takings from a petrol station and the other with 200k from a temple.

Nothing or next to nothing recovered.

His gold will go the same way. Distributed to various charities and benevolent funds.

Now is not the time to be showing off your wealth, especially if you are not wealthy.

Get well soon and in the future, don't be so stupid. 

Indeed. It's been known for decades that it's not a good idea to wear snatchable expensive jewelry when out and about, and that goes double when times are hard for the locals. Seems the message hasn't got though to all.

3 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

i don't understand! was the swede wearing the necklace? in that case he should have fallen from his bike at once when the individual tried to snatch it and wouldn't been able to chase the thief...or he has it in a bag, and then again i can't help wondering why driving around with such an expensive jewellery?

Admittedly I do not ride a motorcycle, however I own several "expensive" watches,(not shiny blingy ones, which scream looka me) purchased many years ago ( no I am not a politician).

I always wear one of them around the home, out shopping, what is the point of owning something if you cannot wear or use it.  I do not consider 60k of jewelry, "expensive" as such. I am sure many of you, and or your partners have rings of similar value you wear all the time. 

Edited by RJRS1301

12 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Don't know where your from but in the US health insurance does cover accidents. 

What made you think that the accident reported in the OP happened in the USA and that the motorcyclist had a US health insurance?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, David T Pike said:

He's a <deleted> for wearing bling like that in the first place! I guess he was looking for attention and he got it! Just not the kind the worthless <deleted> was looking for! 

What is a "<deleted>"?

...after chasing a thief on a motorcycle I doubt any insurance would accept that as a claim for medical coverage; I'm sure they would find some language in the policy that would exempt their liability to pay it.. also I didn't see any comments about the condition of the M/C and if was rented or owned by this couple and any damage to it and what cost to repair it.

They went to the Nong Prue police who obtained CCTV footage but in repeated visits to the investigators they are just told to keep waiting. 

..which in Thai translation implies they are waiting for the brown envelope to arrive..

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Two people on a motorbike would have difficulty in catching one person on a motorbike .

He should have dropped her off first before going on a chase (Whether he went back to pick her up again would be his choice )

Would have saved on the hospital bills for her too!

3 hours ago, Puccini said:

What made you think that the accident reported in the OP happened in the USA and that the motorcyclist had a US health insurance?

It's just that from living in USA and familiar with it's laws rules and as  Sheryl said Health Insurance covers hospilization for illness  OR accidents. I posted descripton from Google ---all health insurance covers accidents as well. 

Health vs Personal accident insurance

A health insurance policy covers expenses due to hospitalization and medical procedures caused by illness or injury, including accidents. A personal accident policy, on the other hand, has more narrow coverage

Edited by Tony125

17 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

Isnt there Insurance covered in the motorbike tax ?

4 hours ago, Puccini said:

No, there isn't.

If you are referring to the compulsory insurance you pay for every year, then yes, there is insurance coverage. That's why it's called insurance. Here's what the one I just did a couple days ago says about the coverage:
117912236_10158455289129220_4652098894169770848_o.jpg.af9edb301ffc3db95382072e4665f4bb.jpg 

So basically a max of 80,000 baht (per person) for injuries to body (or health). 

Keep in mind that this is not designed for "foreigners" or for private hospitals. They expect (rightly) that this is meant to cover Thais, most of whom would go to a gov't hospital, not a private one.

Many comments that people assume he’s looking for a handout. Probably based on stating low monthly income. A reasonable assumption, but unknown.

If he’s using an income letter and falsified his income, then he is in trouble. Then people like him are the reason for mandatory health insurance.

But if he’s using 400,000 baht in the bank method, then he has enough money to pay his hospital bill. It may be painful financially, but at least he won’t need to be asking others for money.

2 hours ago, chopper23 said:

She is lying about income she say there income 30,000 baht a month.

He not allowed to live in Thailand if income is under 65,000 a month and that’s for single person if married more.

You really have no idea about the cost of visa extensions and I cannot be bothered to explain it to you. There have been several posts on this thread alone and thousands more on the visa thread which explains the fees in great detail.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

So sorry to hear about your accident, Sheryl.  Did the motorcycle rider's insurance pay or did he flee?

I had a bad accident in Japan when at night a car with no lights on suddenly crossed in front of my motorcycle. It took me two years to recover but cost me not a cent out of pocket.

This was in Cambodia, none of the motos there have insurance.

He and his passenger were also injured, the passenger severely (flew off the moto and landed way down the road with severe head injuries. I don't know if he survived). The moto driver also flew off over the handelbars but his head barreled straight into my chest, helmet  first (amazingly no ribs broken) so I broke his trajectory.

I chose not to let bystanders call the police. No one benefits from the involvement of the police in Cambodia except the police themselves.

Luckily I was (am) well insured.

• Like 1