Leaving Thailand and Returning? Who can re-enter and what are the current requirements?

18 hours ago, FlyingThai said:

Absolutely not. Thailand Elite openly advertises that they will open an account at either Kasikorn or Bangkok Bank for you. Education Visa holders can also open accounts at various banks including KBank.

So much for firm.

I did say I expect some flexibility will be available. However, my branch was one of those that went against the trend when I opened my existing account - in that they gave me an account when others wouldn't. Their refusal to let me open another account is quite a  u-turn.

On 8/20/2020 at 4:34 AM, Thomas J said:

Thanks ubonjoe

That is why deciphering the rules in Thailand is so difficult.  The term certificate of residency is also used by Thailand government websites with no differentiation.   I have a neighbor who is from Belgium and has a long term lease here in Thailand.  He is flying back for an operation.  Does that mean he too will not be able to return unless the rules change? 

Quite a lot of people seem to get confused with this and I don't really understand why. Personally I have never thought a certificate conveyed a right to permament residence in the kingdom. If it did, why would you have to do periodic reports to immigration and renew your visa/extension every year?

Possibly its the name - Residence Certificate, although I've never seen that written anywhere official.  When I wanted to get a Thai driving licence I was told to get a confirmation of address - that's what I've always known it as.

What surpises me is the amount of people who are confused about this that are long-term residents in Thailand.  How can you live there for many years and not know what PR is?