Fed up with DTAC. Is AIS better?

soi3eddie

On 8/20/2020 at 9:37 AM, tomazbodner said:

I recently did exactly that switch. From 1 line of signal to full one by change of SIM.

If your area has no DTAC signal as is unfortunately the case in many places I frequent, AIS will likely be a better choice. If you're unsure, get a prepaid SIM and test it out.

Yes, I beleive AIS has better coverage and better user friendly website.... DTAC is typical of asian counties websites with a lot of flashing confusing lights, movement and ads to keep the children engaged..... Also from a few years testing I find that for light use (doesnt seem to matter what speed plan you are on) both are ok (even neer a tower/in town) but try any longer time heavier bandwidth action and there will be speed drops/cutouts... its all in the plan......)

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Seeall said:

Yes, I beleive AIS has better coverage and better user friendly website.... DTAC is typical of asian counties websites with a lot of flashing confusing lights, movement and ads to keep the children engaged..... Also from a few years testing I find that for light use (doesnt seem to matter what speed plan you are on) both are ok (even neer a tower/in town) but try any longer time heavier bandwidth action and there will be speed drops/cutouts... its all in the plan......)

you are so wrong, ais is clearly more asian and dtac more western style.

• Like 1

Changed over to True Move about 12 months ago cause i'm living in a black spot,contacted Dtac about my extreme low or sometimes non existant data speeds,they advised me is was a black spot and they couldn't tell me if they were going to do anything about it.I googled the coverage area for the 3 providers and True Move had a far superior coverage area,with AIS coming 2nd and Dtac terrible coverage compared to True Move.Hope this helps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alien365 said:

From my point of view throttling the data purposely was his point which they were clearly doing with mine.

Anyway I moved and problem solved

Nope, that isn't the point. First person bought a plan with throttled data after the initial data volume is used up. Whereas you perhaps likely experienced congestion at busy times. Completely different scenario....unless you too purchased a throttling plan.

10 minutes ago, Oztruckie said:

Changed over to True Move about 12 months ago cause i'm living in a black spot,contacted Dtac about my extreme low or sometimes non existant data speeds,they advised me is was a black spot and they couldn't tell me if they were going to do anything about it.I googled the coverage area for the 3 providers and True Move had a far superior coverage area,with AIS coming 2nd and Dtac terrible coverage compared to True Move.Hope this helps.

How could it help? It will only help the people who live in the same black spot. ????

On 8/20/2020 at 12:37 PM, BritManToo said:

Unlimited data and phone calls for 150bht/month (4mbs).

I'm happy enough with AIS.

That package cost 650 baht/month at the moment if paying to AIS. To get a much lower price, ~200 baht/month, you must buy a 4Mb/s sim-card at for example Lazada or Shopee and then renew the subscription every month. 10 Mb/s unlimited net cost from ~325 baht/month. 4Mb/s 30GB cost ~155 baht/month. 

2 hours ago, alien365 said:

This is the reason I moved away from dtac. 6pm til 10pm every night the internet was unusable. We called dtac several times and it would improve for that day, then revert back the next. Changed to True after that and have had no issues since. 

My DTAC program was just renewed and it is still pushing the slow throttle in my face. There seems to be a hard F Us push to aggravate us trying to make or force us to upgrade paying more money. Shame on them and their tactics. I am almost full of their BS now and I have been with them for over 16 years.

23 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

That package cost 650 baht/month at the moment if paying to AIS. To get a much lower price, ~200 baht/month, you must buy a 4Mb/s sim-card at for example Lazada or Shopee and then renew the subscription every month. 10 Mb/s unlimited net cost from ~325 baht/month. 4Mb/s 30GB cost ~155 baht/month. 

Please don't post misleading information. There is no need to buy anything from Lazada if just looking at a monthly subscription.

You can just obtain a SIM from any stockist and add the package yourself, using a USSD code.

unlimited 10 Mbps from 300 baht currently. Unlimited 4 Mbps 200 baht. Unlimited 2 Mbps 150 baht.

If you are looking at annual SIM, then Lazada et al are useful.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

My DTAC program was just renewed and it is still pushing the slow throttle in my face. There seems to be a hard F Us push to aggravate us trying to make or force us to upgrade paying more money. Shame on them and their tactics. I am almost full of their BS now and I have been with them for over 16 years.

I have to tell you that the problem seems to be with you and not DTAC. Even when you are given the solution you just ignore it.

All you need to do is to select a 'no slow down' bundle and your problem is solved.

If, for instance, you can attain 10 Mbps or more on your current package and don't want to change your number, then you can change to a non stop 10 Mbps pack. 1926 baht for 90 days. 642 baht per month.

If you don't need as much as 10 Mbps, you can subscribe to a 4 Mbps pack; 1284 baht per 90 days. 428 baht per month. 

Then no more throttling and complaints about throttling. ????

So once again, to what package are you currently subscribed?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Please don't post misleading information. There is no need to buy anything from Lazada if just looking at a monthly subscription.

You can just obtain a SIM from any stockist and add the package yourself, using a USSD code.

unlimited 10 Mbps from 300 baht currently. Unlimited 4 Mbps 200 baht. Unlimited 2 Mbps 150 baht.

If you are looking at annual SIM, then Lazada et al are useful.

How is my information misleading? I came up with a suggestion where to buy a sim card for a good price monthly or even annually, and loads of people buy their sim-cards online. The prices are exactly same as the ones you came up with. So, come down from your high horses. 

6 hours ago, elgenon said:

Am thinking of changing carriers but keeping number. DTAC to AIS. How difficult is it these days? i remember when the government was limiting the number of people who could change and keep their old number.

I went to AIS to ask and they told me to go to DTAC and tell them you want to leave. Apparently they give you a letter/form that you then take to AIS who can then switch number to a new SIM card from them. 

As I still have credit on my DTAC I decided to wait until mid September when it's used up as I'm sure DTAC won't refund me. I'll try to update here once moved. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As a DTAC customer for 8 years and my wife an AIS cudtomer for 12 years, yes! AIS is better than DTAC . I could not convince my wife to give ip AIS despite the good deals offered. I am convinced thst thry are better from experience. DTAC' Signal is very bad and cannot recieve calls in our lift in BKK nor in the boons of Leoi. Whereas AIS functions perfectly everywhere. Nuf said.

I live in Thailand 8-9 months a year, but I like to explore and travel all over Thailand when I am there.  

I use True.

I have never had any problems, and the customer service is great. 

For convenience, they are located in most malls in Thailand.

Plus True is the only company that 7-Eleven has access to for paying or adding data.

Here is an interesting article:

Get Connected: 10-Steps to Buying & Using a Thai Sim Card & Mobile Data Plan

• Haha 1

On 8/22/2020 at 7:16 AM, Max69xl said:

How is my information misleading? I came up with a suggestion where to buy a sim card for a good price monthly or even annually, and loads of people buy their sim-cards online. The prices are exactly same as the ones you came up with. So, come down from your high horses. 

It's misleading to suggest that you pay a different price direct with AIS. Which is what you claimed.

Even you agree the prices are exactly the same. 

So if the prices are exactly the same, why waste time ordering from Lazada?

You also claimed that in order to get the price you suggested, that they must order from Lazada/Shopee. Again, misleading. No need if they can simply purchase a SIM from a local stockist and apply the package themselves.

Thirdly, your prices were wrong. You claimed that 10 Mbps was from 325 baht per month. I claimed 300 baht. But here you are stating that the prices are exactly the same. So your post was both misleading and inaccurate.

These are incontrovertible facts. So try to not make it personal.

On 8/22/2020 at 11:52 PM, elgenon said:

Am thinking of changing carriers but keeping number. DTAC to AIS. How difficult is it these days? i remember when the government was limiting the number of people who could change and keep their old number.

There is a newer method that is supposed to take one day. The way the other poster has described it, was the old way that takes days.

The new system requires only one day to activate after a MNP request is submitted by a customer to the old operator via their mobile phone by dialling *151* plus their ID card number, pressing # and making a phone call.

The user can then contact the new network operator by showing a text message that contains a quick code and a message from the old operator confirming that the MNP request has been received.

Under the old MNP system a mobile user had to contact their operator and write their details on a paper form. The old operator would then send the user's information to the new service provider. The process took at least three calendar days to complete.

23 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

I went to AIS to ask and they told me to go to DTAC and tell them you want to leave. Apparently they give you a letter/form that you then take to AIS who can then switch number to a new SIM card from them. 

As I still have credit on my DTAC I decided to wait until mid September when it's used up as I'm sure DTAC won't refund me. I'll try to update here once moved. 

Thanks. I was hoping to hear if it was easy. It sounds like it could be.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

There is a newer method that is supposed to take one day. The way the other poster has described it, was the old way that takes days.

I don't have a Thai ID card. Is that what you were referring to when you said ID card number??

• Haha 1

On 8/23/2020 at 12:06 PM, soi3eddie said:

So it seems that you do not understand what is explained to you.

I changed 2 numbers from AIS to Dtac and it is done by visiting the 2 shops, which is convenient in Pattaya as they are in the same mall.

You just need to get a sms confirming that you request to move has been accepted, it takes 5 days to get it, then its done.

Easy and efficient. But need to understand what is explained.

14 hours ago, SePl said:

So it seems that you do not understand what is explained to you.

I changed 2 numbers from AIS to Dtac and it is done by visiting the 2 shops, which is convenient in Pattaya as they are in the same mall.

You just need to get a sms confirming that you request to move has been accepted, it takes 5 days to get it, then its done.

Easy and efficient. But need to understand what is explained.

Thanks for the clear, patient explanation.

• Like 1

I have now completed the move from DTAC to AIS keeping my same phone number (essential for me). 

Although I live in Bangkok I was able to do this while in Pattaya (apparently can be done anywhere).

I had a few hours to spare on Thursday afternoon. I went to DTAC in Central Festival and told them what I wanted to do. The girl on the desk did some stuff online and with my phone which generated texts and got the necessary code to move providers. Took about 10 minutes. 

With this code I crossed the Mall to AIS and told them what I wanted to do. I already knew which package I wanted (300 mins, 30gb data per month for 399 Baht on postpaid). The girl asked for my passport, the DTAC code and my address, she filled in details on her computer and gave me the application to sign. After about 10 minutes I was out of there at 3:30pm with a new AIS SIM card. No upfront payment. 

I was told that once the transfer was approved the old DTAC sim would stop working and the new AIS SIM would become active with my old number. It could take 4 days. 

I did receive a customer service call that evening from DTAC asking why I was leaving and trying to get me to stay with them. I told them it was about signal not cost. 

Early next morning (Friday) the old sim stopped working. Simply inserted the new AIS SIM and it already had my new number so good to go. So far its much better Internet speeds and no dropped Line/What's App calls. 

One thing to note is that I just found out that to enable international roaming I have to go to an AIS shop with my passport and sign a form as being a customer less than 4 months (call center can't do it). Wish I had asked that when signing up. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

I have now completed the move from DTAC to AIS keeping my same phone number (essential for me). 

Although I live in Bangkok I was able to do this while in Pattaya (apparently can be done anywhere).

I had a few hours to spare on Thursday afternoon. I went to DTAC in Central Festival and told them what I wanted to do. The girl on the desk did some stuff online and with my phone which generated texts and got the necessary code to move providers. Took about 10 minutes. 

With this code I crossed the Mall to AIS and told them what I wanted to do. I already knew which package I wanted (300 mins, 30gb data per month for 399 Baht on postpaid). The girl asked for my passport, the DTAC code and my address, she filled in details on her computer and gave me the application to sign. After about 10 minutes I was out of there at 3:30pm with a new AIS SIM card. No upfront payment. 

I was told that once the transfer was approved the old DTAC sim would stop working and the new AIS SIM would become active with my old number. It could take 4 days. 

I did receive a customer service call that evening from DTAC asking why I was leaving and trying to get me to stay with them. I told them it was about signal not cost. 

Early next morning (Friday) the old sim stopped working. Simply inserted the new AIS SIM and it already had my new number so good to go. So far its much better Internet speeds and no dropped Line/What's App calls. 

One thing to note is that I just found out that to enable international roaming I have to go to an AIS shop with my passport and sign a form as being a customer less than 4 months (call center can't do it). Wish I had asked that when signing up. 

Fixxy @ 349 baht looks better. Unlimited 10 Mbps Internet, Unlimited AIS calls(30 minutes per call, then hang up and call again). 50 minutes of all network calls and Unlimited Super WiFi.

Haven't checked if the usual option of Unlimited 10 Mbps is still just 300 baht.

Perhaps not an issue for you, but I tether to the connection for general usage. TV, laptop etc. So unlimited is much better in this case.

You can enable IR immediately on Prepaid. Your issue is that you chose Postpaid.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...