Car Insurance advice

When I purchased my cars, Honda City and Ford Ranger Wildtrack I took the dealers insurance. Are there better options.

The Honda is 6 years old and we pay 12,000 Baht pa. I maybe wrong, but it seems this has not changed since we purchased the vehicle. And I'm sure they only pay on depreciated value. Probably a fair deal when new. But not now. Same goes for Ford.

Do Thailand insurance companies offer no claim bonus deductions on policies? 

Can someone recommend a good insurance company?

Can anyone share what premium they pay for similar vehicles and who with?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Most of Thai's not insure they car's long time! And that is crazy! They only make it for one or 2 year in new car! Then have only "must have" insurance what you pay when you go pick up your tax stamp in your car! I notice that when i drive my first accident whit my wife car! You can find many insurance company online and watch what they offer! There you can count price also!

Yes you should get a NCB

We are with Bangkok insurance this year paid 13,000 THB for MY15 3.2L Everest

You will get a big discount if you limit it to just two drivers and also another 5% if you have a car dash camera.

Yes, the pay out value drops every year and it is about 80% of what the car should be worth.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, stouricks said:

12000 with AXA for an 8 year old Vigo, valued at 360k. Includes comprehensive breakdown cover.

Thats bloody expensive, Izusu spacecab 4 years old 5600, valued at 5.004k complete with road side assistance.

Thats with Roojai.

Edited by colinneil
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, stouricks said:

12000 with AXA for an 8 year old Vigo, valued at 360k. Includes comprehensive breakdown cover.

6,600 Baht with Roojai on a 3 year old Vios,  fully comp., with break down insurance included.  Double figures for the cost seems excessive to me. Maybe its because I am not in a City?  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

6,600 Baht with Roojai on a 3 year old Vios,  fully comp., with break down insurance included.  Double figures for the cost seems excessive to me. Maybe its because I am not in a City?  

Looks like I am paying over the top BUUUUUUUT, (that's a BIG BUT)  have you made any claims yet?

Has anyone out there had experience of claiming from Roojai....or AXA please?

1 minute ago, stouricks said:

Looks like I am paying over the top BUUUUUUUT, (that's a BIG BUT)  have you made any claims yet?

Has anyone out there had experience of claiming from Roojai....or AXA please?

Not yet, and fingers crossed maybe never. Its my 3rd year with Roojai and the price has gone down each year, not by much, but down is good. 

• Like 1

Had AXA on my wife's MY08 CR-V that was t-boned by a motorbike. Reasonably fast response and they were quite proactive in helping  short-circuit the inevitable hands-out from the family of the underage, unlicensed and uninsured motorbike riding 'victims' and the lazy cops.

On my first MY11 Ranger 2.2, I took the dealer's 1-year free insurance and rolled it over on renewal without shopping around. I recall the original LMG premium was in the region of 19,000 baht. I was less than impressed with LMG's quote at the next renewal, shopped around via a broker and switched to AXA. I recall the premium was maybe near 17,000 baht. No claims bonus was earned and transferred but I had to badger them for it.

On my second MY14 Ranger 3.2, I again took the dealer's 1-year free insurance with LMG but swapped back to AXA on first renewal, saving about 3000 baht. Two years ago, I swapped to roojai. With two named drivers, and 48% NCB, the premium dropped almost 50% to a few baht over 8000 baht. I also note that roojai offered a higher replacement value than AXA. That's handy if it's a write-off, or fire or theft.

On several threads on this and other forums, I haven't read of any bad luck stories with those making claims on roojai insurance.

My advice to anyone buying a new car is to shop around for your own insurance FIRST and tell the dealer to keep their 'free' insurance and give you a more meaningful price break. They won't give you 16,000 baht of freebies but you may get 8000 baht's worth.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Had AXA on my wife's MY08 CR-V that was t-boned by a motorbike. Reasonably fast response and they were quite proactive in helping  short-circuit the inevitable hands-out from the family of the underage, unlicensed and uninsured motorbike riding 'victims' and the lazy cops.

On my first MY11 Ranger 2.2, I took the dealer's 1-year free insurance and rolled it over on renewal without shopping around. I recall the original LMG premium was in the region of 19,000 baht. I was less than impressed with LMG's quote at the next renewal, shopped around via a broker and switched to AXA. I recall the premium was maybe near 17,000 baht. No claims bonus was earned and transferred but I had to badger them for it.

On my second MY14 Ranger 3.2, I again took the dealer's 1-year free insurance with LMG but swapped back to AXA on first renewal, saving about 3000 baht. Two years ago, I swapped to roojai. With two named drivers, and 48% NCB, the premium dropped almost 50% to a few baht over 8000 baht. I also note that roojai offered a higher replacement value than AXA. That's handy if it's a write-off, or fire or theft.

On several threads on this and other forums, I haven't read of any bad luck stories with those making claims on roojai insurance.

My advice to anyone buying a new car is to shop around for your own insurance FIRST and tell the dealer to keep their 'free' insurance and give you a more meaningful price break. They won't give you 16,000 baht of freebies but you may get 8000 baht's worth.

Great feedback, thanks to you and others. I did the roojal on line quote and it does seem like a good deal. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, happyaussie said:

I did the roojal on line quote and it does seem like a good deal. 

I started using Roojai about 3 years ago, they were about 4,000THB cheaper than my Tanachart Insurance. I got the same invoice from Roojai each year even tho car was depreciating in value, then this year the premium went up over 10% without notice? I asked why and was told it was due to some national changes in the insurance regulations?? At the same time they offered my old original rates back and I took them. I wonder what they come up with next year? Still the cheapest around for me tho so I'll likely stick with them.

Just now, Hamus Yaigh said:

I started using Roojai about 3 years ago, they were about 4,000THB cheaper than my Tanachart Insurance. I got the same invoice from Roojai each year even tho car was depreciating in value, then this year the premium went up over 10% without notice? I asked why and was told it was due to some national changes in the insurance regulations?? At the same time they offered my old original rates back and I took them. I wonder what they come up with next year? Still the cheapest around for me tho so I'll likely stick with them.

Government minimum is always the cheapest and the price never changes.

9 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

I believe there was a new regulation from OIC about Motor insurance coverage for third party bodily injury coverage limit.

From the April 2020, the insurance company must compensate the full amount in case of death or disability of third party they claim that will impact the motor insurance loss ratio, hence an increase in premiums.