October flight cancelled, what next?

On 8/23/2020 at 10:19 AM, mtls2005 said:

Apologies for any quoting etiquette violations.

I did check SQ flights SIN-OZ and couldn't find any for August, September.

And I have no clue if repatriation flights from Thailand to Australia can go via SQ/SIN? Looking at the (official?) Australia FB for Thailand, it looks like repatriation flights are limited to direct, non-stop...maybe on TG?

Well it is a fairly recent change, the Ambassador mentioned it last week. The flights SIN/OZ have been flying for a while, the issue was transit through Changi was not allowed, now it is. There's been many mentions of it in various fora, and I have seen the schedule its about 4 times a week to Brisbane, obviously suject to the limits imposed by Australia and there may be regular cancellations, we'll have to see 

https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/pdf/media-centre/200819flightscheduleaugoctswpv2.pdf

12 minutes ago, Bluetongue said:

the Ambassador mentioned it last week.

Amb. McKinnon's video of 21 August details the Sunday TG flights, through September. And does mention "other commercial options" on CX and SQ.

Thirty left yesterday on TG. So room for 120 before amnesty ends.

He mentioned 1,040 Australians registered with an interest to return home.

He also mentioned that the embasy would NOT be issuing letters. YMMV.

No clue how those (SQ/CX) flights are metered re: number of passengers allowed per day? Do you have to get some landing slot pre-approved before ticketing?

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

No clue how those (SQ/CX) flights are metered re: number of passengers allowed per day? Do you have to get some landing slot pre-approved before ticketing?

Yes it is a mystery how they have worked out this quota. It seems a very badly thought out policy. With all the resources of Australia they can only manage to return a small number of people through quarantine. There must be other ways to deal with people coming back -army controlling hotels, people kept in army bases. I don't see why people need to be kept in luxury hotels. I would stay in a tent if I had to.

One of the biggest problems for Australians wanting to return home is that the government has limited the number of international entries to about 500 people per day...split between Sydney, Perth, and Brisbane (Melbourne is not accepting any at this time). International wide-body aircraft often arrive with only double-digit passenger counts due to these restrictions, and because of this, in order to make the flights economically viable, airlines that are still flying to Oz like Qatar are basically only selling Biz Class seats (Doha to Sydney one-way is quoted at A$9000).

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

On 8/23/2020 at 11:44 AM, soi3eddie said:

Regarding charge-backs;

I run two businesses in London and both accept Visa, Mastercard and American Express. We have a cancellation policy that is clear and agreed upon at time of booking but occasionally a "customer" will initiate an unfounded charge back request. We have to work hard to dispute any charge back and I can tell you that whilst we can allow the charge back, we cannot have it refused unless we can prove we have not broken our contract or we have actually supplied service. 

In the case of refunds for cancelled flights, you are unequivocally due a full refund and the credit card company is equally as liable as the airline. Next time your flight gets cancelled ask for confirmation in writing (email) then tell them you want a full refund within 14 days. When they give you the guff about backruptcy tell them to put that in writing too. With that evidence (and all your previous cancellations) the credit card company cannot refuse the charge back. Record all calls as they can be sent to credit company as evidence of refusal of refund. Always use a CREDIT CARD for anything possible and NEVER, EVER use a debit card as you have much less protection with a debit card. 

Excellent advice, thanks very much. Plus others who gave same or similar advice. 

I contacted Amex and they have initiated an investigation. In the meantime the amount has been credited to my account. 

Fortunately I have records of bookings, cancellations, payments and email threads.

I must say, Amex have been great, can't say the same for Expedia. They are elusive and almost impossible to email. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

One of the biggest problems for Australians wanting to return home is that the government has limited the number of international entries to about 500 people per day...split between Sydney, Perth, and Brisbane (Melbourne is not accepting any at this time). International wide-body aircraft often arrive with only double-digit passenger counts due to these restrictions, and because of this, in order to make the flights economically viable, airlines that are still flying to Oz like Qatar are basically only selling Biz Class seats (Doha to Sydney one-way is quoted at A$9000).

To rub salt in, Australia is now accepting overseas students. Seems commercial gains with paying students overrides it's citizens. Suppose a collective of university chancellors weald some power and would have a direct line the the PM and Education minister.

Makes me wonder how history will look back on this Covid thing....poorly I suspect.   

21 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

I tried to get a flight refund from an Australian Visa card. They said they do not contest flight purchases during Covid.

File a complaint with the Financial Regulator in Australia and Consumer Protection. They will set the bank straight because you're covered under the cardholder agreement.

• Like 1