October flight cancelled, what next?

Thai airways informed me my BKK to Sydney flight booked 01 October has been cancelled. I've rebooked for 01 November. Which I'm assuming the same thing will happen. 

This is the third cancellation and due to bankruptcy hearings can't issue a refund. 

I could join the Australian embassy repatriation flights but can't use my credit. Which would leave me 60,000baht out of pocket.

On top of this the visa amnesty expires 26 September. 

Do you think immigration would issue me a visa extension based on my circumstance?

Never been so stressed in my life. Trying to work with limited funds and get back to Australia for business.

• Like 1

Try to transfer to an airline actually operating flights using your Thai credit. If this fails, I think you will need to bite the bullet and return on a repatriation flight. I very much doubt the Australian embassy will give you a letter based on the fact that it is financially unattractive to return to Australia.

• Like 2

Lots of Australians are stranded overseas due to caps on arrivals imposed by the Australian government, so as not to overload quarantine facilities. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.smh.com.au/national/can-we-still-call-australia-home-the-refrain-of-expats-facing-shut-borders-and-20k-flights-20200819-p55n4i.html

Be prepared to pay if you want to go back - airlines are demanding business class, on the pretext that they can only carry a very limited number on economy. You'll also have to pay for quarantine when you land.

Edited by dbrenn

13 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Lots of Australians stranded overseas due to caps on arrivals imposed by the government, so as not to overload quarantine facilities. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.smh.com.au/national/can-we-still-call-australia-home-the-refrain-of-expats-facing-shut-borders-and-20k-flights-20200819-p55n4i.html

Be prepared to pay if you want to go back - airlines are demanding business class, on the pretext that they can only carry a very limited number of economy. You'll also have to pay for quarantine when you land.

Thanks for this. As Thai airways are frozen due to bankruptcy I doubt they will transfer to a code share partner. But I will try. 

With Australian arrival numbers being set until 26 October. By November I'm hoping sanity will prevail and some flights will be possible.

I called Thai immigration and they told me that with an embassy letter I will get an extension. They also told me there is a good chance the government will mandate a third extension of 30 days. 

Here's hoping. And thanks to others who replied. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

Thai can give you a seat on alternative Star Alliance carriers, but you have to ask

None of the Star Alliance members are currently flying to Australia. One World has a much stronger list of participating airlines. Thanks anyway.

• Like 2

Thai Airway are flying to Sydney this month according to the Australian Embassy.

"Thai Airways will fly five flights from Bangkok to Sydney on consecutive Sundays in August.  These flights will depart at 19:29 in the evening on Sunday 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd and 30th August.  The flights will arrive in Sydney at 07:20 the following Monday morning."

Under this heading "Flights to Australia" on this webpage. https://thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/home.html

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, happyaussie said:

Thanks for this. As Thai airways are frozen due to bankruptcy I doubt they will transfer to a code share partner. But I will try. 

With Australian arrival numbers being set until 26 October. By November I'm hoping sanity will prevail and some flights will be possible.

I called Thai immigration and they told me that with an embassy letter I will get an extension. They also told me there is a good chance the government will mandate a third extension of 30 days. 

Here's hoping. And thanks to others who replied. 

The caps on arrivals are very onerous. Sydney at 350 arrivals a day is just one single plane load. The airlines are calling the shots, so repatriation flights might be your best option. 

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Thai Airway are flying to Sydney this month according to the Australian Embassy.

"Thai Airways will fly five flights from Bangkok to Sydney on consecutive Sundays in August.  These flights will depart at 19:29 in the evening on Sunday 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd and 30th August.  The flights will arrive in Sydney at 07:20 the following Monday morning."

Under this heading "Flights to Australia" on this webpage. https://thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/home.html

I think that might be out of date. Mostly cargo and repatriation flights with limited passenger seats are operating throughout September. 

Thai has recently cancelled scheduled passenger flights for the whole month. The Australian border is still closed. 

21 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

I think that might be out of date. Mostly cargo and repatriation flights with limited passenger seats are operating throughout September. 

I am just quoting what is says on the website I posted a link to.

It also states there would only be 30 passengers on each flight.

1 hour ago, FlyingThai said:

Having to pay for a new ticket is certainly something that isn't great but is the cost of remaining in Thailand for several months really cheaper?

This is the question I'd ask as an immigration- or a consular officer when it comes to applications for documents.

Was your TG ticket a one way flight? I'd try and initiate a chargeback with my credit card company. Amex has already returned cash for 5 tickets to me.

Yes, one way business. class Thai Airways. I did pay with Amex and will try as advised. Only problem is that the original ticket was purchased in March. I was under the impression both parties had to agree for a charge back. I say this because I tried to have a different purchase reversed a couple of months ago and Amex said I can't without the supplier agreeing. But I shall try again. Thanks for the tip.

One saving grace is that the Thai airways credit is valid for 12 months. Which I could use to return once this nonsense is over. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

Can you get Thai Airways to write you a letter? Technically they're mostly owned by Thai government (Finance Ministry)!

A letter regarding what? They recent sent a huge pdf file with bankruptcy court documents to all customers.

6 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

A letter regarding what? They recent sent a huge pdf file with bankruptcy court documents to all customers.

Well, that you have booking with them but due to their own incompetence you're not able to leave the country

5 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Well, that you have booking with them but due to their own incompetence you're not able to leave the country

You don't need a letter for that. Usually you get a cancellation email and the cover letter from the bankruptcy court is sufficient for American Express to run the chargeback.

At the moment I don't even think it has much to do with incompetence but that there is no point operating any flights. They would just continue to burn money.

5 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Lots of Australians are stranded overseas due to caps on arrivals imposed by the Australian government, so as not to overload quarantine facilities. 

Be prepared to pay if you want to go back - airlines are demanding business class, on the pretext that they can only carry a very limited number on economy. You'll also have to pay for quarantine when you land.

My friend left for the USA today on EVA. They are flying to Taipei every Friday at 12:20PM. He wanted to use miles for a ticket. They told him he had to go on a wait list. He asked to switch to other star alliance flights? They said ok but he was short 400 miles and they would not let him buy the extra miles. After weeks of phone calls they finally let him use his miles for a ticket on EVA. So today he boarded what he thought would be a full flight? There were 5 in business, 5 in Premium economy and about 40 in economy! They really want you to buy the expensive cash one way ticket. But if you ask, most airlines will let  you switch to another alliance partner, you just have to be persistent.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

You don't need a letter for that. Usually you get a cancellation email and the cover letter from the bankruptcy court is sufficient for American Express to run the chargeback.

At the moment I don't even think it has much to do with incompetence but that there is no point operating any flights. They would just continue to burn money.

I think there's some confusion...  One of you is talking about a chargeback on AmEx, the other one is talking about getting a further extension of permission to stay, based on a cancelled flight. 

If TG stopped flying altogether, I can't see immigration giving out perpetual extensions if there are other alternative airlines.  Which depends a lot on how many seats the Aus gov't allows- based on their rules and quarantine capacity.   Not on whether TG is still in business and at what capacity.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dbrenn said:

I don't get their approach about this. 18,800 Australians are currently abroad and want to go back. Australia can currently handle 4000 a week (IF there are flights) per quota. The issue would regulate itself in 4-5 weeks.

And then there is the question: Why now? The pandemic has been going on for 6 months and now these remaining 19k people all of a sudden want to go home?

I'd also think twice about going back to Australia where the government is one of the most extreme when it comes to Covid measures and is planning to lock their citizens in for the foreseeable future. That would be my very last choice.

1 hour ago, merijn said:

Thai Also cancelled my domestic flight for 30 October.

Highly doubt if i will see the money ever back.

This is my second Thai cancellation for which i'm still waiting for the refund.

What route? They can rebook you on Thai Smile.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FlyingThai said:

What route? They can rebook you on Thai Smile.

BKK to HKT.

No mention about a rebooking, only to contact their office.

Some of my previous bookings where rebooked on Thai Smile automatically but nothing this tome.

15 hours ago, happyaussie said:

I could join the Australian embassy repatriation flights but can't use my credit. Which would leave me 60,000baht out of pocket.

Consider the money paid for the TG ticket as lost. And the ticket, worthless.

TG won't fly this route until who knows when, if ever. (Yes, the may operate repat flights but your current ticket is not valid for those.)

If you want or need to return, the embassy repat flight is the only option.

You will spend more than 60,000 baht staying here, unless you are unusually frugal.

Thai Immigration may not look kindly on one who has avoided available repat flights?

The Australian Embassy may not issue a supporting letter if the had seats available and you chose not to take one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

You will spend more than 60,000 baht staying here, unless you are unusually frugal.

60K baht more here, than the cost of living in Australia?  Depends on what time-frame and if one already has paid-up accomodations there, I suppose. 

If I had to return to my passport-country (USA), I'd be out far more in a very short time.

3 hours ago, FlyingThai said:

I don't get their approach about this. 18,800 Australians are currently abroad and want to go back. Australia can currently handle 4000 a week (IF there are flights) per quota. The issue would regulate itself in 4-5 weeks.

And then there is the question: Why now? The pandemic has been going on for 6 months and now these remaining 19k people all of a sudden want to go home?

I'd also think twice about going back to Australia where the government is one of the most extreme when it comes to Covid measures and is planning to lock their citizens in for the foreseeable future. That would be my very last choice.

I see your logic, but i understand why Aussies are trying to get out now.

If under 50y.o, and not married, one was always at the mercy of Thai immigration even at the best of times,

but now it will be even harder to stay (if not impossible) for many, since Thailands bordering countries immigration points are closed. 

And I would not like to rely on Thailands generosity in extending the amnesty either.

So Aussies are between a rock and a hard place here, with the Aus government being obtuse in limiting its numbers coming back,

and of course there is the issue of Thailand threatening to turf everyone out.

Not a nice position to be in.

One would think Aus should surely have the capability to take in everyone if shared between all the airports?

But no,

Its just that they've always hated people travelling away from Australia and having currency leaking out.

The latest <deleted> is just a other underhand message to Aussies..

get your aรses back and dont be thinking about spending and AUS$ overseas.

And yes, i agree, if you do get back into Aus, dont expect to be allowed to travel out again for a long, LONG time.

The Australian government will obviously be keeping tally of the billions

of $ it has been shelling out in welfare lately.

Covid or no,

rest assured, they will NOT be letting ANYONE out until all that money is churned back into the economy.

1 minute ago, JackThompson said:

60K baht more here, than the cost of living in Australia? 

No.

I was comparing the cost of the flight (60,000 THB), to the cost of living staying here, for at least two months.

This assumes the OP can even stay here?

A lot of people claim financial challenges paying for an airline ticket, which raises potential concerns about their ability to stay in Thailand.

I can't comment on one's ability to survive financially in their home country.

• Thanks 1