Birth Certificate / Blue book

I had previously posted a thread a while ago about getting my Thai birth certificate (half Thai over 30). Thanks to those that helped and gave sound advice I finally received it last week. Trying to get hold of the Thai embassy in London during these strange times was challenging to say the least.

I had another question. I was told that a recent law/policy change meant that I was now added to the 'central House book register' (or something along those lines), and to my surprise my birth certificate came with a 13 digit number.

Does anyone know if this would enable to me to be added to a blue book remotely? I can give family power of attorney if required, but obviously it is seemingly impossible to fly to Thailand at the moment. 

The only benefit now should I be able to get on a repatriation flight is that I can fly Thai price with a CI. Every cloud! 

Thanks again 

Thank you,

I spoke with the local amphoe (จตุจักร Chatuchak) who have said it may now be possible for me to give power of attorney to my aunt for herself and 2 other family members to visit on my behalf and have my name moved from the "central tabien baan" to a "temporary tabien baan", but thereafter i'd have to be present to be added to house tabien baan.

I'll update once I know for sure, but I'm not sure if there's any benefit of me doing this. Perhaps it'd make things a lot easier for me to transfer from temporary to a house - I've read some stories here about other amphoe offices not fully knowing the requirements and basically asking for all evidence (including DNA) which is something i'm keen to avoid.

The entry onto the blue house book (house registration or "Tabien Baan" - in Thai "ทะเบียนบ้าน") has to be done by the head of the household, shown on page 2 of said booklet. 

This requires a form, available with the municipality ("Amphoe" - in Thai "อำเภอ") together with the documents of the head of household and your set of papers, i.e. ID card/birth certificate. 

I did it myself in person yet this is not an option for you now. So get the head of the household to enquire - mentioning, that you (the one to be added) presently are stucked in the UK until further notice. Should this NOT work, then you will have to wait until the border is open again. 

As a Thai citizen though you can return and enjoy free of charge quarantine - with the compliments of the Thai tax payer ???? 

Good luck! 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your replies - and I'm glad to hear from those with personal experience ???? 

Bit of an update, I spoke with Chatuchak Amphoe again today, and they are telling me that it is possible (due to my birth certificate having a 13 digit number) to be added straight onto a family member's tabien baan without me being present (!).

My requirements are:

- Visit London Thai Embassy to give power of attorney to a family member (Aunt - head of household)

- 3 family members (all on the Thai side) to visit the amphoe and act as witnesses/be interrogated

- Copy of my UK passport and Thai Birth Certificate

- Mother's ID card and Thai Passport copies (she is in UK)

- Aunt's ID card and Thai passport copies

And the lady I've been speaking to at Chatuchak will be the same lady doing the tabien baan process, which I really hope will make things a lot smoother. Essentially what she has told me is that because I already have a 13 digit number and already registered in the central tabien baan system, paired with my birth certificate recognising me as Thai then they can't deny me.

Next step - contact he London Embassy to ask what I need to do in order to give power of attorney - anyone got experience of this?

Will keep you updated how this process goes... I've certainly not heard of this before. 

You mean you were issued a Thai birth certificate with 13 digit ID number without the need to register yourself on a tabien baan?

I wasn't issued with ID number when I got my Thai birth certificate two years ago.

Edited by lastwabi

Correct - I was told a recent law/system change meant that upon my registration of birth I was automatically added to the central tabien baan system and given a 13 digit number on my birth certificate. 

I visited the embassy in London last week to give power of attorney to my aunt, once the documents reach her she will go to add my name to the tabien baan - confirmed possible with the amphoe. 

Obviously I cannot obtain an ID card without being present but this should make the process a lot easier for me. The last thing I want is to travel and be asked to present evidence I didn't bring to be added to a tabien baan

Will update as and when

On 8/30/2020 at 6:45 PM, pazienza said:

Correct - I was told a recent law/system change meant that upon my registration of birth I was automatically added to the central tabien baan system and given a 13 digit number on my birth certificate. 

I visited the embassy in London last week to give power of attorney to my aunt, once the documents reach her she will go to add my name to the tabien baan - confirmed possible with the amphoe. 

Obviously I cannot obtain an ID card without being present but this should make the process a lot easier for me. The last thing I want is to travel and be asked to present evidence I didn't bring to be added to a tabien baan

Will update as and when

Let's say if you do this before the age of 30 with this recent system change of your name being automatically added to tabien baan, would the military be able to search you up for enlistment?

Have you also applied for your Thai passport at the Thai Embassy in London?

Edited by lastwabi

19 minutes ago, lastwabi said:

Let's say if you do this before the age of 30 with this recent system change of your name being automatically added to tabien baan, would the military be able to search you up for enlistment?

It is not added to a blue tambien ban. It is only done in a central database of the Interior Ministry.

The military does the draft by district and call up those who are listed in tambien bans for that district.

On 9/1/2020 at 4:13 PM, ubonjoe said:

It is not added to a blue tambien ban. It is only done in a central database of the Interior Ministry.

The military does the draft by district and call up those who are listed in tambien bans for that district.

Even if it is added to a blue one, what are the chances of us (Overseas born Thai) at the age of 27 and above getting called up?

On 9/1/2020 at 8:54 AM, lastwabi said:

Have you also applied for your Thai passport at the Thai Embassy in London?

No - they have told me the first passport needs to be done in Thailand as I'd need an ID card first. I don't believe this is the case for young children though.

On 9/7/2020 at 4:10 PM, pazienza said:

No - they have told me the first passport needs to be done in Thailand as I'd need an ID card first. I don't believe this is the case for young children though.

Really? I was given a Thai passport application form on the day I got my Thai Birth Certificate two years ago. The Embassy said they would issue me a passport with no ID number just like the Birth Certificate without having to fly in to Thailand to do it. I still have not applied for it but I don't know if that changes now.